Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Barking

• 27-08-2015 6:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

Please help! We're being driven demented by a barking dog all night. The stupid mutt seems to start barking at about 11pm and goes on and on all night. I love animals but this is making me really mad. The owners must be pretty stupid to allow this to happen.

I'm open to any and all solutions to this rotten problem. Has anyone had this before and what did they do? Is there some kind of gadget that can be bought that will emit a sound that will shut him up or drive him hysterical so the owners will have to let him it? Is there something that he could be fed that will just send him to sleep or calm him down?

The most important thing is that I don't fall out with the neighbours as the dog looks fairly old and is in a pretty bad state so it may not last too long anyway so it's not worth the aggro. Because of that I don't want to ring the police about it. Or can I anonymously ring the council or someone to have it taken away?

Please help!

Comments

Why don't you knock on your neighbours door and have a grown up conversation with them about the dog?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why don't you knock on your neighbours door and have a grown up conversation with them about the dog?

Yes, I obviously can do that. However, I'm acutely aware that some people can have a strong bond with their mutts and view them as almost people and would not be impressed with someone complaining about them.

I'm interested in how I can solve this problem myself first as I can't be sure of the reaction I'll get from the owner and I wish to avoid a row.

Naturally, if the owner was 100% normal and sophisticated then your suggestion would be the correct course of action but I can't know that so I need something else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Did they just move in?

We were in the same situation but on the reverse side. We moved into a new place and every time we left the house the dog would go made barking at the side gate, something he never did before. Obviously we didn't know as this only happened when we were away. He was left outside all day in our previous accommodation with no issues.

I appreciated our neighbour giving us the heads up. If it was a problem for them it was a problem for a lot of others in the estate. We solved the problem in a day and he has never barked again. (Nothing sinister, he just wanted to be left in the house and obviously felt more secure in there after the move.)

The dog owners in the OP's post could be oblivious as to how loud their dog is being. Personally I would try and catch the owners in passing and ask if the dog is okay as he has been barking hysterically a lot a night. If that didn't get the required response I wold be more direct and ask that the dog be kept quiet as night.

If that didn't work unfortunately you would need to contact the dog warden, local council. I think any measure you try yourself could land you in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

mayway wrote: »
    Yes, I obviously can do that. However, I'm acutely aware that some people can have a strong bond with their mutts and view them as almost people and would not be impressed with someone complaining about them.

I'm interested in how I can solve this problem myself first as I can't be sure of the reaction I'll get from the owner and I wish to avoid a row.

Naturally, if the owner was 100% normal and sophisticated then your suggestion would be the correct course of action but I can't know that so I need something else here.

If they have a strong bond they would care that the the dog was barking. A dog wouldn't bark all night if it was happy. Its owners that don't give a crap about the dog that are more of a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The first step in dealing with this is to talk to your neighbour then if you don't get any satisfaction complain to your council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

If I were a dog owner and knew that someone had thrown my dog something and drugged it I'd be on a warpath. I wouldn't suggest doing that.

If it's left out in the yard all night barking then it's probably calling to be left in. Anyone who sees their dog as a child/member of the family would not leave their dog out all night, I would have thought... :/

If you know your neighbours well your best bet is to talk to them about it. Other than that, ring the guards about a noise disturbance I'd say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

First go talk to them. I had that problem with my dogs and I didn't realise how bad it was because I'm a relatively heavy sleeper. When a neighbour knocked in to tell me it was keeping them awake I was mortified.

If that fails then you do have legal recourse because it is a noise pollutant outside of acceptable hours and you can get the Gardaí involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Speak to the owners and advise them politely of the situation. Then, if that does not work, ring the council and/or the dog warden.
    Definitely do not drug the dog or take other measures you seem to be suggesting. Firstly, they are illegal. Secondly, it's cruel. Well, for someone that claims to love all animals, I mean :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Firstly please stop calling the dog a MUTT.. it’s a dog.

I actually think you may be a troll or a wind up with the fact that your keep referring to the doing as mutt on this forum – you must know this is an animals lovers forum.

Secondly it’s not the dogs fault its barking - 100% the owners responsibility

you mentioned the dog old in a bad state also.. wont last much longer etc…
    For god’s sake why would you even consider drugging the dog in this case or enquire about a plug in device? It’s just plain cruel and not fair on the poor dog

The owners don’t sound like good owners if the dog is old, outside each night and in a bad state.

Speak with the owners, tell them about the barking issues and ask them to take the dog in at night….

If it’s really that bad get ear plugs – I have some due to my neighbours kids screaming and roaring outside at the weekends from 7am…

cocker5 wrote: »
    Firstly please stop calling the dog a MUTT.. it’s a dog.

I actually think you may be a troll or a wind up with the fact that your keep referring to the doing as mutt on this forum – you must know this is an animals lovers forum.

Secondly it’s not the dogs fault its barking - 100% the owners responsibility

you mentioned the dog old in a bad state also.. wont last much longer etc…
    For god’s sake why would you even consider drugging the dog in this case or enquire about a plug in device? It’s just plain cruel and not fair on the poor dog

The owners don’t sound like good owners if the dog is old, outside each night and in a bad state.

Speak with the owners, tell them about the barking issues and ask them to take the dog in at night….

If it’s really that bad get ear plugs – I have some due to my neighbours kids screaming and roaring outside at the weekends from 7am…

I'm calling the rotten thing a mutt because it's keeping me and my family awake at night and it's getting on our nerves. I love animals and own some myself. Although my family grew up with a dog we don't have one now as we're not home all the time and I think it's cruel to leave a dog on its own.

I wasn't asking about "drugging" the dog, I just wanted suggestions if there was anything that I could give it to shut it up. Regarding devices, again I wasn't looking to torture the thing I just want to know if something exists that could be used to make it be quiet.

I don't blame the dog at all, I blame the owners but if there existing something that I could plug in that would shut it up then I would feel that that would be the simplest non-confrontational way of dealing with what is currently a relatively minor issue.

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Speak to the owners and advise them politely of the situation. Then, if that does not work, ring the council and/or the dog warden.
    Definitely do not drug the dog or take other measures you seem to be suggesting. Firstly, they are illegal. Secondly, it's cruel. Well, for someone that claims to love all animals, I mean :mad:

I wasn't suggesting drugging the dog, to be honest. What are the other measure that are illegal? Are there devices that can quieten dogs but are not legal?

I'm calling the rotten thing a mutt because it's keeping me and my family awake at night and it's getting on our nerves. I love animals and own some myself. Although my family grew up with a dog we don't have one now as we're not home all the time and I think it's cruel to leave a dog on its own.

I wasn't asking about "drugging" the dog, I just wanted suggestions if there was anything that I could give it to shut it up. Regarding devices, again I wasn't looking to torture the thing I just want to know if something exists that could be used to make it be quiet.

I don't blame the dog at all, I blame the owners but if there existing something that I could plug in that would shut it up then I would feel that that would be the simplest non-confrontational way of dealing with what is currently a relatively minor issue.

and you are at it again - its offensive please refrain.

As you mentioned its the owners fault - be mature / man up.... take your beef up with them and stop trying to come up with solutions that effects the dog for gods sake. the dog is innocent in all this...

cocker5 wrote: »
    and you are at it again - its offensive please refrain.

As you mentioned its the owners fault - be mature / man up.... take your beef up with them and stop trying to come up with solutions that effects the dog for gods sake. the dog is innocent in all this...

With respect, you're not the one being kept awake by it. Believe me, the term "mutt" is very mild compared to what I was calling it last night.

Has anyone got any useful advice that can solve this problem quickly? Talking to the owners is not an option so let's take that off the table.

Actually, I just checked and the term "mutt" means a dog that is a mongrel. I'm not sure why that would be offensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm calling the rotten thing a mutt

Mayway, by replying to a poster asking you not to call the dog a "mutt" by then calling it a "rotten thing", in the A&PI forum, is just flaming. Please do not rile up other posters here by calling the dog names.
    I would also caution you against talking about administering any form of anything to their dog... you're entering seriously dodgy territory both legally, and in terms of the forum rules.
    Edited to add: The term "mutt" is a derogatory term for a dog, and is certainly being used in a derogatory context by you in this thread, given that you qualified your use of the word by calling the dog a "rotten thing".

Cocker5, whilst I appreciate your concern, please be aware that you're back seat moderating when telling another poster what they should and should not say. Please leave it at reporting posts that concern you rather than taking matters int o your own hands.

Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Report noise complaint to guards/council next time it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The stupid mutt seems to start barking at about 11pm and goes on and on all night

Is there some kind of gadget that can be bought that will emit a sound that will shut him up or drive him hysterical so the owners will have to let him it? Is there something that he could be fed that will just send him to sleep or calm him down?

Please help!

I'd love you to point out where exactly you feel you did not suggest drugging the dog or torturing it with a sound emitting device.
    Also, while you might feel the word mutt is perfectly acceptable (it really isn't, we use cross-breed when referring to a dog of mixed parentage), calling it stupid is uncalled for. You don't know his level of intelligence.

Plenty of us have given you really sound and legal advice on how to approach this. If your relationship with your neighbors is more important than the welfare of an elderly, abused dog then your statement regarding your affection towards animals is downright hogwash. And that's fine - but at least have the decency to be honest about it. I generally tend not to want to retain the friendship of people I believe are being intentionally cruel to animals, but that's just me.

Again, if you want to remain friendly with your neighbors, call the dog warden and report them for neglecting/abusing their dog and make a complaint to the council for noise pollution.

With respect, you're not the one being kept awake by it. Believe me, the term "mutt" is very mild compared to what I was calling it last night.

Has anyone got any useful advice that can solve this problem quickly? Talking to the owners is not an option so let's take that off the table.

infact your are incorrect - there are dogs barking where i live all night too... and kids screaming each Saturday / Sunday mornings out in their gardens...

Either way i would never take measures that effected the dog or kids etc.

The only option is man up.

Report the noise to the dog warden and your neighbours... it is completely unfair to want to do something to dog when you just wont speak with the owners. simple fact.

I have suffered this problem several times in the past alright. All night, every night is torture. I remember it well. Being in tears eventually because of the sheer frustration of it, and unable to escape it.

Approaching the neighbours is the first step. Though in both cases I had, the neighbours didn't give a damn and kept throwing the barking dog out. I reported one to the warden in the end. Information here. Twas only fair though that I did ask the neighbour to put a halt to it, then told them of my intention to report them, then went ahead with it.
    Dogs
    Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 deals with nuisance by barking dogs. If you don’t get a satisfactory response from the dog owner, you may complain to the District Court, using the form prescribed under the Control of Dogs Act. These forms are available from local authorities.

The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog. The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭doughef

I'm with the op here.

Not only is the dog a mutt but so are the owners.

I would ask the owners to shut it up or I'd shut it up myself ..

<snip>

Mod note: User banned. Any reference to poisoning any pet animal will not be tolerated in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

doughef wrote: »
    I'm with the op here.

<snip>

I'd say = guilty conscience but usually dicks don't have one.
    Op not having a pair doesn't mean it's OK to harm the dog. Write an anon letter if you must. If it doesn't work, then phone the warden and start taking notes. Your problem is the owners not the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

doughef wrote: »
    I'm with the op here.

<snip>

Enjoy your sausage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Let me make something abundantly clear before this thread gets closed due to persistent breaches of the forum charter.
    Advocating any acts of cruelty, poisoning, or violence towards any human or any pet animal in this forum meets with a zero tolerance policy.
    If you want to get your jollies by imagining and/or advocating different ways of causing harm to or killing animals that are acting as they are due to the ignorance of their owners, that's your look out. But you will not use this forum to voice your pathetic little fantasies.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missmelo

Hi op i am in the same situation as you, barking dogs is the soundtrack to my life, i also agree it can be hard going to the neighbours as i have done this twice and got the height of abuse, so i would like to avoid that now as it makes matters a lot worse, i went to the council and it has not stopped and that was my next door neighbours dog.

Now for the last few weeks there is another dog a few doors down, he is very very big kept in a small yard i have not once seen him out for a walk and he does not stop barking, i do understand why and its not fair on him, but for the last 2 weeks he is at it everynight and because im a light sleeper he wakes me up this could go on for 3 hours, he must be rattling his own house with the noise but they must be heavy sleepers, i am totally wrecked, i rang the dog warden and he said sorry i cant do anything!!
    So im gona have to ring the council again but feel im at nothing, its unfair people jumpimg on you here as i understand your frustration and people say things they dont mean when angry and tired. Did you try local council??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

missmelo wrote: »
    its unfair people jumpimg on you here as i understand your frustration and people say things they dont mean when angry and tired. Did you try local council??

To be honest, I don't think it is unfair. No where has the OP tried the simplest and most straightforward and what should be the first approach - which is talking to the people involved.

If the people are of no help, not willing to fix the problem, then it is necessary to escalate the problem and make a noise complaint.

Its unfair because she has stated she does not want to go over as it might cause further issues and i agree with that because i have called to two houses before and got abuse, i went over in a fair manner but people can be very defensive where there dogs are concerned and then your left with bad feelings, but i also went to the dog warden he said nothing he could do, and just rang the council and was told the same, you must understand in this situation its not easy and getting angry and frustrated is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Its unfair because she has stated she does not want to go over

Not that s/he can't but that s/he doesn't want to is not a reason not to be a grown up. You can't control how other people respond to you but you can control yourself. And trying to find ways to torture/inflict pain or drugging a dog rather than talking to people because they don't want to in not OK

you must understand in this situation its not easy and getting angry and frustrated is normal.

Everyone/most people at some stage have lived in estates that where a dog or doggies barked incessantly. Or the people 3 doors down like to rev there cars at stupid o'clock. Or the neighbours kids are constantly screaming. This is part of living in an estate and you either (imo) have to accept that there are going to noise outside your control or you be a grown up and talk to the people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

If the dog is actually in a bad state the first thing to do is to get in touch with the ISPCA/Dog warden, as the suffering of the animal should take priority. That would also be the ideal time to make a noise complaint when you make the call to the relevant body. If the dog is suffering it may be why it's barking, we had a simillar issue with a neighbours dog years ago and it was heartbreaking. I can understand reluctance to speak to owners directly, especially if you don't know them as it can lead to problems down the line and then you're stuck in the neighbourhood having to deal with the fallout.

went to the dog warden he said nothing he could do, and just rang the council and was told the same,

That's weird. I honestly don't know in my situation whether the neighbour I reported to the dog warden and the council (silmultaniously, wrote letters in each case) were escalated. I do know that a neighbour in another place did get a letter from the dog warden regarding his barking dogs. He assumed my ex had made the complaint and came round bulling for a fight. So the warden or the council obviously do have power to do something about it. I wonder if maybe they had recieved several complaints about those particular dogs, and maybe that's why they acted on it. Have you spoken to any other neighbours about it?

• Advertisement

Budgese i thought it was weird too, explained to dog warden the size of the dog and no one has remembered ever seeing that dog out ever been walked, but he was bothered besides that the run he is in seems clean but its a very small area for his size so i presume its boredom, on the up side i got earplugs and had a peaceful sleep, the council were very dismissive of the complaint and she was actually a bit annoyed with me so after that i suppose not much i can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Budgese i thought it was weird too, explained to dog warden the size of the dog and no one has remembered ever seeing that dog out ever been walked, but he was bothered besides that the run he is in seems clean but its a very small area for his size so i presume its boredom, on the up side i got earplugs and had a peaceful sleep, the council were very dismissive of the complaint and she was actually a bit annoyed with me so after that i suppose not much i can do.

If you're unhappy with the Council response (and the dog warden is part of the Council), you can escalate to the relevant Director in the Council. Email details to him/her and ask for a response. If you're still unhappy, you can refer it to the Ombudsman for an independent ruling.

Advertisement