Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billy Walsh quits ** SEE MOD WARNING #643 BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn't say the US were a powerhouse Olympics boxing nation, again putting words in people's mouths. I said the US were a powerhouse Olympics nation, which covers all Olympics sports. They want the best of the best across all their Olympics sports and with Walsh on board their women's boxing will inevitably become a world force, perhaps not in Rio but in years to come.

I notice you have a habit of playing the man by the way.

To be fair I did think that you possibly meant that, hence my use of the word implying. I had a feeling you'd clarify that. The U.S certainly are a powerhouse Olympic nation. One Sport really declining is their boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

price690 wrote: »
    Until you appear to be anti-IABA, then reading between the lines is a foolish exercise.

With all due respect to WalshB, he is a good poster on the boxing forum. Its not a personal dig, but he does always like to go against the grain or general consensus on pretty much every topic.

So I wouldn't put his stance down to having links in the IABA.

I have no problem with people going against the grain. But this is more a case of crossing a line and attributing motives to individuals who are not here to defend themselves. Lines like that should not be crossed.

He has been constantly biased towards IABA, that needs to be made clear. Although I anticipate an attempt to change that perception now.

Look, Billy Walsh owes no apology to anyone. He has deserves respect and thanks for what he done.

Implying he is a money grabbing mercenary or similar is frankly well beyond the pale. He has made it clear its not about money. Everyone except the incompetents who run the IABA accept it wasn't about money.

Its time for the IABA board to be cleared out. They are utterly hopeless and not fit for purpose.

Who is Billy Roche?

Katie Walsh and Billy Roche.....classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Implying he is a money grabbing mercenary or similar is frankly well beyond the pale. He has made it clear its not about money. Everyone except the incompetents who run the IABA accept it wasn't about money.

Hold on now. The whole catalyst for this contract debacle is money (the US offer). To dismiss the notion that it had ANY part to play is as foolish as deciding it was the only factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

e02bf0c5 wrote: »
    I'm starting to come around to the idea that it was about money.

Not Billy Walsh asking for more money though, more that the IABA weren't happy that he would be paid more than they were - but that's pure speculation as I have no idea who the board are let alone how would they get paid.

If it was a case that Billy was holding out for more money for such a long period while knowing he had a better offer in the sidelines wouldn't reflect well on his character.
    The numerous people who seem to hold him in high regard suggest that is highly unlikely.

The board is an amateur body, suppose they would get expenses but not salaried, they have a full-time CEO, though. Still, I believe what you say has merit. We know they disliked the all the media attention lavished on Billy, so it's fair enough they'd find his proposed salary raise distasteful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

e02bf0c5 wrote: »
    I'm starting to come around to the idea that it was about money.

Not Billy Walsh asking for more money though, more that the IABA weren't happy that he would be paid more than they were - but that's pure speculation as I have no idea who the board are let alone how would they get paid.

If it was a case that Billy was holding out for more money for such a long period while knowing he had a better offer in the sidelines wouldn't reflect well on his character.
    The numerous people who seem to hold him in high regard suggest that is highly unlikely.

You are probably right. Their are alot of people in Irish boxing (fighters included) who have a case of green eyed monster when they see the praise Billy Walsh seems to get.

Boxing is obviously an individual sport and the fighter is the one who has to do the business, so any talk of a medal drought now that Walsh as gone, probably grinds their gears.

I would also imagine that alot of the suits in the IABA probably baulked at the wage being offered and maybe don't rate Billy as anything more than a head coach. The crux of this dispute is their refusal to recognise him as HP Director. And the salary was probably that of a HP director rather than a Head coach.

Michael Carruth, Bernard Dunne, Phil Sutcliffe etc.. have all been backhanded in their compliments of Walsh, in fairness they are right in that he is only one man, but Walsh has worn many different hats in the role he fulfilled. It went beyond being a head coach.

Id say some of the names above probably fancy themselves as being a successor, they probably feel Billy Walsh is no more qualified than they are. The problem for them being, that he is infinitely more qualified and successful.

it comes down to jealousy, noses being put out of joint by the perception that Walsh was responsible for alot of the medal success. They are looking to make a statement that Billy Walsh is just a cog in the wheel.

walshb wrote: »
    Who is Billy Roche?

Oh grow up FFS. I'm trying to juggle a number of things here including work and posting on here so a lot of my posts are rushed.

Oh grow up FFS. I'm trying to juggle a number of things here including work and posting on here so a lot of my posts are rushed.

That's one sensible post, anyway.

Now, maybe show me where I implied that Billy was a money grabbing mercenary? Little OTT me thinks.

Dodge wrote: »
    Hold on now. The whole catalyst for this contract debacle is money (the US offer). To dismiss the notion that it had ANY part to play is as foolish as deciding it was the only factor.

He said repeatedly it wasn't about money. Everyone pretty much agreed including the IABA it wasn't about money. It was more about the non financials.

So those on the inside say it wasn't about money. While those on the outside say it was about money. What gives?

You cannot project motives onto people.

In my view, Walsh could care less about the money. He cares about Irish boxing and giving it a good chance in Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Who is Billy Roche?

How hunty

• Advertisement

You are probably right. Their are alot of people in Irish boxing (fighters included) who have a case of green eyed monster when they see the praise Billy Walsh seems to get.

Boxing is obviously an individual sport and the fighter is the one who has to do the business, so any talk of a medal drought now that Walsh as gone, probably grinds their gears.

I would also imagine that alot of the suits in the IABA probably baulked at the wage being offered and maybe don't rate Billy as anything more than a head coach. The crux of this dispute is their refusal to recognise him as HP Director. And the salary was probably that of a HP director rather than a Head coach.

Michael Carruth, Bernard Dunne, Phil Sutcliffe etc.. have all been backhanded in their compliments of Walsh, in fairness they are right in that he is only one man, but Walsh has worn many different hats in the role he fulfilled. It went beyond being a head coach.

Id say some of the names above probably fancy themselves as being a successor, they probably feel Billy Walsh is no more qualified than they are. The problem for them being, that he is infinitely more qualified and successful.

it comes down to jealousy, noses being put out of joint by the perception that Walsh was responsible for alot of the medal success. They are looking to make a statement that Billy Walsh is just a cog in the wheel.

That is a key point: "The crux of the dispute is their refusal to recognise him as HP Director"

That cannot be emphasised enough in my opinion. That is the biggest failure of governance right there. If they truly valued their man, they would not have let that situation develop, crazy. I'm not sure but I think his salary 77k was a head coach's salary. So he should have been on more for the director job.

Its all reading between the lines and putting his own spin on things with walshb. No sources, no facts, no evidence, just made up unsourced speculation designed to show others in a bad light.

To be expected- boxers rarely escape his caustic criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Billy Walsh stand off with the IABA is not just a recent thing. It's been going on for a year now.

During that year, there have a lot of outrageous antics from the IABA. In all of it the clear impression is they couldn't get rid of Walsh fast enough. Money as Billy said was never a factor. The main factor from his point of view is that the IABA are clowns, but he's not going to come out and say that. They couldn't put together a half decent contact. They can't even put together a half decent website. They showed the guy, the most successful boxing and sporting coach in our history, zero respect. This is what he refers to. Walsh cares about Irish boxing. The guy I would say, would do the job for a pittance. He deserved a decent contract, not the shambolic one offered him with all its farcical stipulations.

Walshb, you speak like someone who works for the IABA to be honest. That's not a compliment by the way.

Much more than a year in fact. Several sports journalists have pointed out this week that this nonsense from the IABA vis a vis Billy Walsh has been brewing for the the last four to six years.

That's one sensible post, anyway.

Now, maybe show me where I implied that Billy was a money grabbing mercenary? Little OTT me thinks.

Ok great, I think finally you are coming around to the view that Walsh did not accept or reject the contract because of a money issue and that money was not the reason why he accepted or rejected a new deal. That's good enough for me if you accept that. Walsh said it wasn't about money, and that's good enough for me.

The issue from day 1 was non financials. Walsh and everyone was happy with the money element. People say he was offered twice as much by the Americans but realistically giving up on living at home, etc. you'd want more than twice a salary to do that.

Anyways I'm not going to harp on about it.

In my view, Walsh could care less about the money. He cares about Irish boxing and giving it a good chance in Rio.

That's your view from meeting and chatting with him, is it?

I just don't see how anyone can claim this to be good v evil or right v wrong. Seems to be a load of factors and all sides dripping what they want into the public

I think there's enough blame to go round for nearly everybody. And it needs investigating and clearing up

That is a key point: "The crux of the dispute is their refusal to recognise him as HP Director"

That cannot be emphasised enough in my opinion. That is the biggest failure of governance right there. If they truly valued their man, they would not have let that situation develop, crazy. I'm not sure but I think his salary 77k was a head coach's salary. So he should have been on more for the director job.

Excellent article on this very point here :

http://www.businesspost.ie/backwards-thinking-cost-ireland-billy-walsh/

The IABA in their utter mediocrity and incompetence were incapable of seeing the true brilliance of Billy Walsh as a coach and leader.

Strazdas wrote: »

The IABA in their utter mediocrity and incompetence were incapable of seeing the true brilliance of Billy Walsh as a coach and leader.

One major weakness of that piece, Irish boxing was nowhere before Billy took over? Well Billy only took over after the Olympics where they'd won 3 medals. I'd give most of the credit for the resurrection pre-Beijing to Gary Keegan, he put the whole program together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

One major weakness of that piece, Irish boxing was nowhere before Billy took over? Well Billy only took over after the Olympics where they'd won 3 medals. I'd give most of the credit for the resurrection pre-Beijing to Gary Keegan, he put the whole program together.

And where is he now ?

marienbad wrote: »
    And where is he now ?

Who cares? Plenty of success since his departure.

• Advertisement

One thing I do find a little bit annoying in the midst of all of this, its the journalism.

So many outspoken journalists acting like they give a sh*te. Its poor quality stuff pretty much revolving around "we won loads of medals at the olympics, therefore Billy walsh is great".

The argument put to the IABA (who do need dragging into the 21st century) is a very one dimensional one. If I see another journalist liken it to Joe Schmidt not being able to select his team (I mean really, surely they can do better than stealing each others soundbites), i'll go mad.

I'm very much in the Billy Walsh camp on this one, but id love the journalists to delve into this area of team selection. Maybe uncover a few instances of disagreement between IABA and Walsh. From the outside looking in, our top fighters always make the major championships by virtue of the national seniors. You cannot really say that there are fighters hard done by in terms of not making these squads, they pick themselves for the most part.

Do Billy/IABA want to bring fighters who are not national champions to the Euros/Worlds? You needed to qualify for the worlds this year so again, committee ratification means damn all.

In terms of fighters being hard done by, this can only be done by judging at a national level in the national elite seniors.

There are so many red herrings out there, and I don't think alot of the news reports and journalist articles we see fully understand how the sport works or the real issue. Its very one dimensional 2+2=4, billy wins medals and hes gone etc... outrage etc...

In order to IABA to be fully held to account in the future we need proper transparency but also a better quality of journalist in this area. Boxing is always paid lip service in the media in this country, patted on the head for being the most successful irish sport, but how many dedicated writers have we got?

It would be great to see some very specific questions put to the IABA, to cut through their bluster and bull because I have a feeling that they know the general media have zero idea of the real issues apart from a successful coach walking.

Gary is head of the Institute of sport, doing like he's always done, playing a key role in Irish sport and while keeping a very low profile, which is the way he likes to do it. I care very much that he is still contributing immensely to the welfare of sport here, including boxing and all Olympic sports.

Have a read at how the IABA treated Gary Keegan :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/vincent-hogan-boxing-still-dancing-to-strange-olympic-tune-30832550.html

They made sure he wasn't even accredited at the Olympics in Beijing and the boxers had to visit him daily at his apartment instead.

One thing I do find a little bit annoying in the midst of all of this, its the journalism.

So many outspoken journalists acting like they give a sh*te. Its poor quality stuff pretty much revolving around "we won loads of medals at the olympics, therefore Billy walsh is great".

The argument put to the IABA (who do need dragging into the 21st century) is a very one dimensional one. If I see another journalist liken it to Joe Schmidt not being able to select his team (I mean really, surely they can do better than stealing each others soundbites), i'll go mad.

I'm very much in the Billy Walsh camp on this one, but id love the journalists to delve into this area of team selection. Maybe uncover a few instances of disagreement between IABA and Walsh. From the outside looking in, our top fighters always make the major championships by virtue of the national seniors. You cannot really say that there are fighters hard done by in terms of not making these squads, they pick themselves for the most part.

Do Billy/IABA want to bring fighters who are not national champions to the Euros/Worlds? You needed to qualify for the worlds this year so again, committee ratification means damn all.

In terms of fighters being hard done by, this can only be done by judging at a national level in the national elite seniors.

There are so many red herrings out there, and I don't think alot of the news reports and journalist articles we see fully understand how the sport works or the real issue. Its very one dimensional 2+2=4, billy wins medals and hes gone etc... outrage etc...

In order to IABA to be fully held to account in the future we need proper transparency but also a better quality of journalist in this area. Boxing is always paid lip service in the media in this country, patted on the head for being the most successful irish sport, but how many dedicated writers have we got?

It would be great to see some very specific questions put to the IABA, to cut through their bluster and bull because I have a feeling that they know the general media have zero idea of the real issues apart from a successful coach walking.

The comment pieces are done to death tbh. What it needs is a good investigative person to dig under all the spin and bullsh!t and acquire the documentation that tells us exactly what was going on. Dont seem to be a lot of those Veronia Guerin types around these days unfortunately, probably too mucn like hard work.

That article was bland at best.

I agree, a rugby writer expressing his faux outrage at Irish Boxing circles.

Far too many opinion pieces about this, they need to start finding some facts.

As another poster stated, its probably too much work.

• Advertisement

Should the Dept of Transport and Sport conduct an investigation into the IABA, I think one is needed

Gary is head of the Institute of sport, doing like he's always done, playing a key role in Irish sport and while keeping a very low profile, which is the way he likes to do it. I care very much that he is still contributing immensely to the welfare of sport here, including boxing and all Olympic sports.

Well you are one. It seems he is doing just fine, similar to our boxers doing just fine since his departure. Everyone's a winner.

I'm quoting this in case it gets lost in all the bickering. Excellent post

at last your true colours showing .

He does make the valid point that the IABA are still running boxing as if this was still the 1990s and very much still the amateur era.

International sport has moved on incredibly in the last ten or fifteen years in terms of professionalism and high performance. The thought that high quality coaches are being held back by petty and incompetent bureaucrats even in 2015 is very surprising.

• Advertisement

Well you are one. It seems he is doing just fine, similar to our boxers doing just fine since his departure. Everyone's a winner.

WalshB can I just ask you, did you read the article posted above, the independent article relating to Gary Keegan?

if so, how does it sit with you?

How do you feel about Joe Hennigan being team manager for instance? The only sport in the country (that has a HP system in place) that does this kind of thing. When you see Paul McGinley lead the golfers for instance this summer, the boxers have that kind of craic.

Sure its their right to exercise that, but do you not see that as a blatant attempt to hold onto some kind of power? even in such trivial ceremonial affairs?

Its so bloody small time.

The Keegan affair for me as a non member of all the ins and outs of it seem unfair to Keegan. Underhanded dealings me suspects.

Apologies that I asked a simple question.

Apologies that I asked a simple question.

Meaningless reply, ( as many of your answers are ) just designed to lead to more muddying of the waters .

Success has come despite the IABA not because of them .

efb wrote: »
    Should the Dept of Transport and Sport conduct an investigation into the IABA, I think one is needed

The latest is that the IABA are being summoned to appear before an Oireacthtas committee to explain themselves :

http://www.newstalk.com/Committee-to-question-IABA-over-Billy-Walsh-resignation

This should be interesting. It's one thing waffling on in a radio interview and batting away any criticism but this will be be intense interrogation in a televised setting where detailed and expansive answers to the questions will be required.

The latest is that the IABA are being summoned to appear before an Oireacthtas committee to explain themselves :

http://www.newstalk.com/Committee-to-question-IABA-over-Billy-Walsh-resignation

This should be interesting. It's one thing waffling on in a radio interview and batting away any criticism but this will be be intense interrogation in a televised setting where detailed and expansive answers to the questions will be required.

Waffling has become the norm at Oireachtas committee hearings.

My guess is that IABA officials will be right at home there, i'd imagine those doing the questioning will be ill informed aswell about what to ask.

Isn't it usually carried out by opposition TD's aswell? So basically it would be Willie O'Dea questioning Fergal Carruth

Let the filleting begin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Power21stC

I am a Friend of Billy Walsh and the duress he has went through over the last few months has been terrible. I have seen him in action with these boxers and it is obvious from their body language with billy that he is more than a coach to these guys. He is like a father figure to them particularly when being a long time from home. He makes sure all their needs a met from diet to security not withstanding their physical fitness. He makes no lies that he will only bring the best boxers with him. That's whats high performance is about. Their is a lot of pressure on him from different parts IABA and others around the Country to get their man selected. The problem is politics and red tape. typical Ireland. At long last we have a team of respected medal winning professionals and the politics messes it up again. Only in Ireland.Billy had to look for approval for anything he wanted. how frustrating is that. The team no matter who is appointed will miss him in the corner with them believe me. He will have cart Blanch to do it his way in the states. We in Screen Co Wexford the place were Billy was reared wish him every future success in his new role. Katie Taylor watch out

Waffling has become the norm at Oireachtas committee hearings.

My guess is that IABA officials will be right at home there, i'd imagine those doing the questioning will be ill informed aswell about what to ask.

Isn't it usually carried out by opposition TD's aswell? So basically it would be Willie O'Dea questioning Fergal Carruth

Let the filleting begin :rolleyes:

Well Sport Ireland will also be appearing in front of the Oireachtas committee, so it's quite likely we're going to hear a clash of evidence next Wednesday.

Power21stC wrote: »
    I am a Friend of Billy Walsh and the duress he has went through over the last few months has been terrible. I have seen him in action with these boxers and it is obvious from their body language with billy that he is more than a coach to these guys. He is like a father figure to them particularly when being a long time from home. He makes sure all their needs a met from diet to security not withstanding their physical fitness. He makes no lies that he will only bring the best boxers with him. That's whats high performance is about. Their is a lot of pressure on him from different parts IABA and others around the Country to get their man selected. The problem is politics and red tape. typical Ireland. At long last we have a team of respected medal winning professionals and the politics messes it up again. Only in Ireland.Billy had to look for approval for anything he wanted. how frustrating is that. The team no matter who is appointed will miss him in the corner with them believe me. He will have cart Blanch to do it his way in the states. We in Screen Co Wexford the place were Billy was reared wish him every future success in his new role. Katie Taylor watch out

In what instances was Billy unable to take his own preferred fighter to major championships? Can you specify when a fighter went to a major championships against Billy's wishes?

Well Sport Ireland will also be appearing in front of the Oireachtas committee, so it's quite likely we're going to hear a clash of evidence next Wednesday.

What is stopping Sport Ireland taking control of the HP unit?

In the UK the HP unit divorced itself from the ABA's and its now a stand alone unit.

What are the road blocks to this happening? What can the IABA realistically do if the ISC decide to take it out of their hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Meaningless reply, ( as many of your answers are ) just designed to lead to more muddying of the waters .

Success has come despite the IABA not because of them .
    marienbad - if you have an issue with a poster or their posts, please refrain from posting comments like those above. Disagree with a poster and engage in discussion, but do not attack a poster. Send a PM to a Moderator or report a post if you feel it is in breach of the forum charter.

In the UK the HP unit divorced itself from the ABA's and its now a stand alone unit.

What are the road blocks to this happening? What can the IABA realistically do if the ISC decide to take it out of their hands?

Good question. That would surely solve all of this immediately.

Listening back to the IABA interviews this morning, they talk about an agreement they reached with Billy Walsh in September and seem to suggest he reneged on his deal with them with his resignation this week.

But they make no mention of the deal they (apparently) reached with him on August 22 or explain how or why they did a dramatic u-turn on this two days later.

Relating to Billy having to get approval for anything he wanted. Ok, sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. But let's assume he had to ask for approval for a lot. So what? This red tape and rule based world is one we have lived in for a long time now. Without actual concrete examples it's just not worth considering. And no, team selection is not an example. This policy has been in place long before Billy became a figure of importance. Billy, as far as I know has given no examples. Apart from the interview permission I am not aware of any specific examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

I'm not a boxing fan just a interested in most sports.

IABA is a total disgrace in respect of Billy Walsh as it's clear they didn't want him by dragging the negotiations for eight months or so. It sounded like sour grapes on their part. Other poster who posted IABA's spats over the last four years or more as it's clear from looking at their history of spats, they have a problem with themselves.

Their problem with Billy was well aired since eight months ago as they did nothing to resolve it by dragging on further until it's too late.

Interesting piece with English boxing HP as they recognised the problem same as ours. They made it stand alone from all kind of interference so the HP coach have their say.

For the sake of analogy, Carling called English rugby board directors ' 57 old farts' as an impediment to progress in rugby, same could be applied to IABA.

Of all the posts about this the one that probaby is closest to the truth is others jealousy and resentment of Billy.

Relating to Billy having to get approval for anything he wanted. Ok, sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. But let's assume he had to ask for approval for a lot. So what? This red tape and rule based world is one we have lived in for a long time now. Without actual concrete examples it's just not worth considering. And no, team selection is not an example. This policy has been in place long before Billy became a figure of importance. Billy, as far as I know has given no examples. Apart from the interview permission I am not aware of any specific examples.

There is an important point to be made about the crazy situation of Billy having to seek approval to speak to the media, beyond even how stupid and petty it seems. As the IABA or HP unit don't have a PRO in place, how in god's name are journalists, or the few that are interested, going to keep in touch with information other than by ringing Billy which I' m sure they do from time to time. So trivial bits of information, like team selections or dates of fights or whatever, instead of being dealt with by a dedicated PRO, have to be funneled through Billy which is just a waste of his time and resources. It's just stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not certain there are too many roadblocks other than the politics of it. Boxing is going to be relocated in the National Campus sometime, and I don't see anything against Sport Ireland just setting up a HP Unit there and inviting boxers to join it, even if the IABA opposes it. Maybe somebody has more info on the process.

Been reading a bit about the UK scene - cycling is also a great example - but seems UK Sport doesn't tolerate much nonsense from sporting federations. In 2013 there was a bit of bother within the national federations and this was the response from the head of UK Sport. No messing here:

UK Sport chief executive Liz Nicholl said on the BBC Sport website: "UK Sport has, for some time, been closely monitoring the relationship between BABA and the other home country boxing associations.

"The priority must be to ensure that British boxers preparing for Rio are backed with world-class support.

"If these issues are not addressed by 10 June, UK Sport will redirect investment from BABA and instead establish a special purpose vehicle through which funding of the Boxing World Class Performance Programme will flow, in order to protect our elite athletes."

Ger Gilroy will be discussing all this on the weekly sports show on UTV Ireland at 10.30pm.

• Advertisement

Revealed! The REAL IABA Statement!

Advertisement