Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Of course the simplest solution is the one that should be adopted and the Church if it had any brains would see the advantage too.

Remove religion entirely form the core school day.

Allow state schools to be used for voluntary religious instruction by such institutions. so the local priest, pastor, rabbi, Iman and atheist etc. can take a classroom each and if suitably qualified to teach children do so after hours.

The parents will probably be delighted with the "after care" facility on site in their school, noone has to take off early or quit work entirely for school runs.
    Even the economy benefits...

Why won't they do this though?

Answer: because the objective is not to teach religion but to prevent other viewpoints from being disclosed to the young and impressionable who's minds they currently hold a monopoly on (to indoctrinate)!

Afterall Lucifer was originally "the angel of light" - enlightenment. only later did he become the prince of devils. and the apple that caused all the trouble was from the "tree of knowledge" ... yea... "enlightenment and knowledge" are the principal enemies of the church!

I think you're as out of touch as the Catholic Church if you think Parents would be delighted to have a mish mash of Priests, Imans and Atheists minding kids after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

PARlance wrote: »
    I think you're as out of touch as the Catholic Church if you think Parents would be delighted to have a mish mash of Priests, Imans and Atheists minding kids after hours.

I assumed the ability to realize I meant Catholic parents could send their children to the catholic teacher to be educated in Catholicism and likewise the others to teachers of their preferred dogma?

If...

this is all about using the education system of a republic to "teach" kids about "their" religion?

Obviously in a pluralist society, in the interests of preventing sectarian divide the removal of religious instruction is preferable (which is both tribal and divisive and must be in order to observe the articles of faith, "you shall not put other gods before me" and all that)

I'm just offering a solution that offers the Catholics a way of teaching their children "in the faith" and doesn't impose such on others and doesn't make "day to day" religious instruction "homeless". I'm offering an idea that even benefits Catholic working parents and the economy in general and I'm really interested more so in the excuses that will be offered in order to continue the blatant indoctrination programme, including the passive system employed against children of other faiths and none (as they sit at the back of the class and watch their peers get excited about communion dresses etc.). I want to hear the pathetic excuses made for insisting upon a religious orientation in a republic's education system where the teachers etc. are paid for through taxation and the schools at best were paid for by the local communities via card-drives, raffles, basket collections at mass, inheritance in favour of the church and never, absolutely never from Vatican accounts!

I want to know the the excuses for apartheid? I want to know why my kids must sit at the back of a class, stay quiet and respectful, just as black kids sat at the back of the bus in Segregated pre-1960's USA?

Because there were plenty of towns in the southern USA back then, where the majority were white, they always had been racist and they wanted to bring their kids up too with such "core values"!!!

Think about this...

What would this sound like:

Children of all and no faiths can attend our Catholic schools. However if there is over subscription we reserve the right to award places based on religion in order to maintain our ethos.

Non-Catholic Children may opt out of our religious instruction during the school day by sitting at the back of the class quietly and respectfully and may read other books.

We will continue to begin each lesson with prayers and all subjects shall conform to our core Catholic ethos.

Most parents, come from this culture, respect it and want this for their children, and as the Catholic Church actually own many of our school buildings and are their caretakers we have a right to express our philosophy freely. The state can and should build other non-religious schools and this is not our fault or problem!

if in 1960's USA, where many wanted to keep their schools "white", the compromise was this:

Black children can attend our White schools. However if there is over subscription we reserve the right to award places based on skin colour in order to maintain our racist ethos.

Black Kids may opt our of Aryan-supremacy instruction during the school day by sitting at the back of the class quietly and respectfully and may read other books.

We will continue to begin each lesson with "Dixie" and all subjects shall conform to our core Aryan bias.

Most parents, come from this culture, respect it and want this for their children, and as members of the KKK actually own many of our school buildings and are their caretakers we have a right to express our philosophy freely. The state can and should build other black schools and this is not our fault or problem!

Ireland is a republic that, historically blinded by catholic culture, erroneously handed over the control of public education and healthcare etc. to the Church. It was a major mistake. (convenient outsourcing of responsibility by the political class no doubt, not much changes there!) But as I've pointed out, we weren't alone in carrying out foolish, myopic and let's face it harmful policies. The world has moved on, hindsight is easy, but we certainly do know better now. There is no excuse for holding on to discriminatory behaviors, bar that you are a victim of such and suffer some form of adverse mental programming or "Stockholm Syndrome". Still, we are all adults and need to grow up and snap out of that sh1t! Unfortunately it seems that there's a lot of people in County Mayo who will be on the wrong side of history!!! "Granddad, were you a racist?"

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

What do you think about the question of traffic around the Marsh House area Niall?

What do you think about the question of traffic around the Marsh House area Niall?

I don't know much about it at all, but having lived in Dublin City for 20 years, from the inner city to the suburbs, prior to moving back to Mayo I can't really accept "traffic" as a reason to deny non-catholic education?

Before I moved back, I was living on the northside just inside of the M50, (Finglas West). I had to bring my child to Blanchardstown (approx 25 mins away, and away from the city) for creche and then drive back in through Finglas to park in Jervis Street (50 mins) , working in a studio just off Grafton Street (10 min walk). Yep.. poor public transport is a serious issue in our Republic too! I guess we all end up "making do" as best we can. I doubt many in Castlebar face the typical Dublin scenario? And schools up there cause just as much traffic chaos. Take my old route there... passed by Glasnevin Cemetary to Botanic Road, one of the busiest junctions in the city, and what's just before it on the Finglas Road? St Vincent's Secondary School. Bus Lanes, no on -street parking, you name it... but it functions!!!

Like "traffic concerns", as I believe that disgrace of a politician is arguing, is such a pathetically poor secondary argument against having an "inclusive society". Those who appeal to "planning regulation" in the hope of securing their religious viewpoint obviously know full well how wrong and redundant their mentality is, and what little weight such religious concerns deservedly carry in a modern inclusive society!

Its also quite odious to seek to use civil law (planning) to trump human rights: education and freedom of / from religion!

To use the colloquialism: "ya know yer being a bit of a bolix now entirely!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Marsh House
    I know that area for many years, for long before the roundabout was installed, and Tesco etc arrived.

imho too busy a place for dropping off and picking up small children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Far too Busy. The former St. Anthonys school on the station road would make great sense,

Edit: ah i think those buildings may have been knocked

voz es wrote: »
    Far too Busy. The former St. Anthonys school on the station road would make great sense,

"lost things" (building and opportunity) then? maybe Anto interceded to keep Castlebar Catholic, another miracle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

nuac wrote: »
    Re Marsh House
    I know that area for many years, for long before the roundabout was installed, and Tesco etc arrived.

imho too busy a place for dropping off and picking up small children
    voz es wrote: »

The current temporary school is in a horrible place for kids to be; located by a car park entrance / back of shops area that is full of work vans , skips and allsorts. A rather hazardous unsightly area. The Marsh house court yard is lovely to its left down to the bridge that takes you to the front entrance of Dunnes. Mind you there are lots of delivery trucks and forklifts around there too so I wouldn't let kids out to play unsupervised.

But I have to agree with @Nial_Keane. All these problems are created by Catholics who just want to have things their own way, because they feel they are in a majority. If parents want to bring up their kids as Catholic , fine. Bring them to mass every Sunday, fine. Catholic school? OTT imo. I recall back in the 80's when my primary school teacher had to prepare us for confirmation and communion , it took up so much time and I could always see it stressed her out. And then they had to turn up to event itself. Every year. Why a teacher would be charged and expected to do all that I don't know. Surly a rep from the Catholic church should do all this prep.

It wouldn't take much to keep kids in after school for a few sessions if that were a convenient way of preparing them for Holy Communion and Confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

learn_more wrote: »
    The current temporary school is in a horrible place for kids to be; located by a car park entrance / back of shops area that is full of work vans , skips and allsorts. A rather hazardous unsightly area. The Marsh house court yard is lovely to its left down to the bridge that takes you to the front entrance of Dunnes. Mind you there are lots of delivery trucks and forklifts around there too so I wouldn't let kids out to play unsupervised.

But I have to agree with @Nial_Keane. All these problems are created by Catholics who just want to have things their own way, because they feel they are in a majority. If parents want to bring up their kids as Catholic , fine. Bring them to mass every Sunday, fine. Catholic school? OTT imo. I recall back in the 80's when my primary school teacher had to prepare us for confirmation and communion , it took up so much time and I could always see it stressed her out. And then they had to turn up to event itself. Every year. Why a teacher would be charged and expected to do all that I don't know. Surly a rep from the Catholic church should do all this prep.

It wouldn't take much to keep kids in after school for a few sessions if that were a convenient way of preparing them for Holy Communion and Confirmation.

the catholic church can with a fair degree of justification be blamed for almost all the ills of irish society, and i'm not joking when i say that.
    but in this case the finger of blame can be pointed squarely at ET themselves. they completely messed up on the first school offered by the church where they seemed to accept it without even going to look at it.

in ballina the choice of school was also bad and politically motivated to boot, that school is not in ballina its not even in killala. if the top brass in ET don't get their act together they will do more to halt the march of the ET movement then the church ever did, in mayo anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm puzzled by the support for the objection to the location based on traffic safety. The street is in the centre of town, has a razed crossing beside it and a signalised pedestrian just down from it, and it's well within the 50km/h zone and is a prime candidate for a 30km/h school zone.

Schools in rural locations across Mayo are far more riskier in terms of speeding cars and lack of footpaths etc.

Not only does the proposed location at the old UDC building have footpaths but it also has the greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Lets face it. The issues around planning and traffic are largely a smokescreen by those objecting to the school in principle.

How is the current location (down a narrow laneway between two busy streets) more suitable than Marsh house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Good news. Good luck to them all.

Advertisement