Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.K debt collection

Options
  • 27-08-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for someone to be brought to court for a debt they hold in the U.K? Or what actions can they take against someone that lives in Ireland?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What sort of debt are we talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

It's a debt from a medical company. Not sure on the amount probably a couple of hundred pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I should of added, letters from a debt collection agency have been recieved and state if the debt is not paid within 5 days they will Uniate legal proceedings. I know agencies in the UK have a lot more power than the ones here, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

They won't bother for a couple of hundred pounds. They will either have bought it for a tenth of its value, so not collecting it will lose them £20, or else are working off a30% commission so collecting it will gain them £60.

These guys go for low hanging fruit so what you do is write back, tell them that you don't recognise the debt. Ask them to firstly prove that you owe it and secondly prove that they are entitled to collect it. That might put them off entirely or else they might send some half-assed documents. Unless they send both, tell them to leave you alone or you will take action against them for harassment.

They'll just move on to someone else who will pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I should of added, letters from a debt collection agency have been recieved and state if the debt is not paid within 5 days they will Uniate legal proceedings. I know agencies in the UK have a lot more power than the ones here, don't they?

All debt collectors have that kind of language in it.

It doesn't mean they will do that though, bluffing usually.

However I would recommend you pay what you owe if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Simplest solution, if it is a legitimate debt, is just pay it or made an arrangement to pay by installments.

Advertisement