Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lidl T handle hex & star set Test

• 27-08-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

FAIL!
    And miserably too.
    Bought set last week and first use today snapped changing my tax disc.

Oh well, Shur for the price you couldn't go wrong, they said!!:pac:

E018D2C3-2263-4025-B968-D02096E73D86_zpsxka2hfgx.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive had the Aldi ones for years and they are still going perfect.

Although ive a few odd items from Lidl that are suspect and have broken for some reason (it may be just optics) i think the aldi stuff has a higher quality .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Seen these at lunch today! Happy I didnt pick them up now.

Was the nut/bolt tight ? I've found that if you dont go near it over the year they can become fairly stiff when you go to undo them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Seen these at lunch today! Happy I didnt pick them up now.

Was the nut/bolt tight ? I've found that if you dont go near it over the year they can become fairly stiff when you go to undo them.

I was putting it back together when it snapped.
    Just gave a little squeeze and it went.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

youd be better off in any case using the squared off end on something accessible like that, you only looking to round it off, but typical case of buy S*** buy twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Serves you right for being all posh and having in date tax!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You're supposed to use the short square end to loosen/ tighten the screw. The ball end is purely for spinning the fastener in/out to save effort - it has NO torque capacity. The ball end is not for tightening - applies to any brand.... .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're supposed to use the short square end to loosen/ tighten the screw. The ball end is purely for spinning the fastener in/out to save effort - it has NO torque capacity. The ball end is not for tightening - applies to any brand.... .

..what he says...........its usually the cheap plastic handle that goes first..
    TBF its still usable.just gring off the point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

True. But it shouldn't have snapped on a tax disk holder!

So if a Allen bolt is in somewhere where the short side can't reach, you are not supposed to use the long side??
    Am I picking u up right??

blade1 wrote: »
    So if a Allen bolt is in somewhere where the short side can't reach, you are not supposed to use the long side??

Yes ..but it might break....;)

Best to buy a good set with no ball-end for tough jobs....

• Advertisement

Yes ..but it might break....;)

Best to buy a good set with no ball-end for tough jobs....

Yep I agree, from now on for tough jobs like a tax disc holder I'll break out my Snap-ons!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

buy 2 sets, and lop the ends off one set with an angle grinder?

ballends are really good at rounding the heads off bolts too

Wossack wrote: »
    buy 2 sets, and lop the ends off one set with an angle grinder?

ballends are really good at rounding the heads off bolts too

Ah, I have 3 or 4 other sets anyway.

Just surprised how easy the the Lidl one snapped.
    I have a set here with about 25 years and it's after been through a lot more than tightening a tax holder and it's still perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ah, I have 3 or 4 other sets anyway.

Just surprised how easy the the Lidl one snapped.
    I have a set here with about 25 years and it's after been through a lot more than tightening a tax holder and it's still perfect.

You get them on the Tesco clubcard points.....;)

Me too....but back then all the tools werent made in asia.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Me too....but back then all the tools werent made in asia.....;)

True. I have one ball end set for 25 years...Bondhus made in USA. Another good one is Baumann, made in Switzerland

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement