Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel reboot on it's way?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I've struggled to get into Marvel as I find the entire thing so complex in terms of where to start, where to get into and what to read.

I've some general interest peaked from the avengers films, where I would have had none beforehand. My main interest is DC stuff.

I've been doing some reading around and stumbled across the below
    Marvel’s All-New, All Different: Wave One

Written by Various, Drawn by Various (Marvel)

What It’s About: Secret Wars has destroyed the Marvel universe—but an all-new, all-different one has risen up to take its place! The first, humongous wave of Marvel Comic’s reboot includes:

Amazing Spider-Man (Dan Slott, Giuseppe Camuncoli)

Angela Queen of Hel (Marguerite Bennett, Kim Jacinto, and Stephanie Hans)

Blade (Tim Seeley, Logan Faerber)

Astonishing Ant-Man (Nick Spencer, Ramon Rosanas)

Contest of Champions (Al Ewing, Paco Medina)

Doctor Strange (Jason Aaron, Chris Bachalo)

Extraordinary X-Men (Jeff Remire, Huberto Ramos)

Guardians of the Galaxy (Brian Michael Bendis, Valerio Schiti)

Howling Commandos of SHIELD (Frank Barbiere, Brent Schoonover)

Karnak (Warren Ellis, Gerardo Zaffino)

New Avengers (Al Ewing, Gerardo Sandoval)

Captain America (Nick Spencer, Daniel Acuna)

Spider-Gwen (Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez)

Spider-man 2099 (Peter David, Will Sliney)

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Ryan North, Erica Henderson)

Uncanny Avengers (Gerry Duggan, Ryan Stegman)

Uncanny Inhumans (Charles Soule, Steve McNiven, Brandon Peterson)

Why You Need It: The first wave of Marvel’s highly anticipated reboot—the first fully fledged reboot of its kind for the company? No, no one’s looking forward to anything that comes out these shenanigans at all.

I always wanted to read comics but struggled. In the last kinda two months, I've properly got into it. Reading stuff, buying stuff, enjoying stuff. What really helped me was the New 52 reboot that DC did. And that most of them are near their end, so I was able to buy volumes.

I like making the volume purchases, rather then the individual releases themselves. I think the price point is nice, and its a decent size of reading.

I've started my first branch out into Marvel with this months purchases. Deadpool volume 1 and Civil war.

Is maybe the above something to keep tabs on for someone like me, totally new to the scene?

The New52 from what I read wasn't a massive success, but it was a brilliant entry point for me, being able to pickup a volume 1 of something and continue on through it.

Whats the general thoughts? Have Marvel done something like this before? A good idea to get into some Marvel stuff from scratch later this year?

Like I said Avengers peaked my interest in characters I really never contemplated or enjoyed. Iron man, Captain America and Hulk defo three Marvel things I wouldn't mind giving a nosey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've struggled to get into Marvel as I find the entire thing so complex in terms of where to start, where to get into and what to read.

I've some general interest peaked from the avengers films, where I would have had none beforehand. My main interest is DC stuff.

I've been doing some reading around and stumbled across the below

I always wanted to read comics but struggled. In the last kinda two months, I've properly got into it. Reading stuff, buying stuff, enjoying stuff. What really helped me was the New 52 reboot that DC did. And that most of them are near their end, so I was able to buy volumes.

I like making the volume purchases, rather then the individual releases themselves. I think the price point is nice, and its a decent size of reading.

I've started my first branch out into Marvel with this months purchases. Deadpool volume 1 and Civil war.

Is maybe the above something to keep tabs on for someone like me, totally new to the scene?

The New52 from what I read wasn't a massive success, but it was a brilliant entry point for me, being able to pickup a volume 1 of something and continue on through it.

Whats the general thoughts? Have Marvel done something like this before? A good idea to get into some Marvel stuff from scratch later this year?

Like I said Avengers peaked my interest in characters I really never contemplated or enjoyed. Iron man, Captain America and Hulk defo three Marvel things I wouldn't mind giving a nosey.

Are you looking to read them in graphic novel form or on an ongoing basis monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Antibac wrote: »
    Are you looking to read them in graphic novel form or on an ongoing basis monthly?

Most likely buy a Volume when it becomes available. So rather then buying them issue by issue at like €4 a piece, get a story arc together for the volume at 16.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

By design, this will be a great jump in on point for new readers. However, there are great books already available in tpb form that would be a crime to miss out on imo!

By design, this will be a great jump in on point for new readers. However, there are great books already available in tpb form that would be a crime to miss out on imo!

Suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I'm doing both. like The Doc I've just gotten into comics and decided to start with Secret Wars and lead in from there on the monthlys. I've also purchased some of the older classic graphic novels to get a feel for some of the characters

@TheDoc
    Captain America Winter Soldier Dossier edition
    Captain America Red Skull
    Planet Hulk omnibus

are enjoyable reads after civil war

• Advertisement

Suggestions welcome

Best suggestion I can give you is sign up for Marvel Unlimited. Less than a tenner a month for thousands of titles.

For specific suggestions, some great places to start with recent books is:

Ant-Man vol 1: Second Chance Man
    Iron-Fist The Living Weapon vol 1: Rage
    Thor God of Thunder vol 1: The God Butcher
    Hawkeye vol 1: My Life as a Weapon
    Daredevil by Mark Waid
    Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1: Cosmic Avengers

As well as older titles like...
    Planet Hulk
    Spider-man: Blue
    Wolverine: Old Man Logan
    Wolverine: Enemy of the State
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Yeah I did digital for a while and I guess kinda the kick I'm getting is buying physical copies and building a collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking at what was involved in the reboot and was disappointed at the lack of Runaways or X Factor, which are my favourite Marvel series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

You meant to include Nextwave? Didn't you!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was looking at what was involved in the reboot and was disappointed at the lack of Runaways or X Factor, which are my favourite Marvel series.

If PAD ain't writing it. I'm happy to see X FACTOR stay off the books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As long as adult cyclops is gone I'm good, can only hope.

I've never been a huge fan of X-Men comics... Might give one of the All New All Different titles a shot though, depending on who's writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I've never been a huge fan of X-Men comics... Might give one of the All New All Different titles a shot though, depending on who's writing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-New,_All-Different_Marvel

One has pictures credited to Greg ":eek:" Land, mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It will probably be another version of "House of M". Some changes stay after the event and others are undone snd reset anew. Mutants again appear the heaviest hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Always find it strange that people find DC more accessible outside of Batman.

What's this now anyway, Marvel's third reboot in the last four years?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Always find it strange that people find DC more accessible outside of Batman.

What's this now anyway, Marvel's third reboot in the last four years?

Well its more that MArvel stuff seems to be just all over the place.

While I know the characters, I don't want to get into reboot series. For example, Wolverine no longer being Wolverine. Doesn't interest me.

The New 52 series was just perfect for someone like me new to comics to come in and take something from #1 and not be too out of depth in terms of what proceeded it.

But even the Marvel "reboots" still make me feel way out of my depth and just don't feel accessible. Even looking at reading lists etc. online for certain characters, it feels extremely daunting

While I know the characters, I don't want to get into reboot series. For example, Wolverine no longer being Wolverine. Doesn't interest me.

The New 52 series was just perfect for someone like me new to comics to come in and take something from #1 and not be too out of depth in terms of what proceeded it.

But even the Marvel "reboots" still make me feel way out of my depth and just don't feel accessible. Even looking at reading lists etc. online for certain characters, it feels extremely daunting

I'd imagine they are using X-23 in this Wolverine title so that they can bring her into the movieverse after Jackman leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'd imagine they are using X-23 in this Wolverine title so that they can bring her into the movieverse after Jackman leaves.

I highly doubt it considering Marvel don't give a crap whether Jackman leaves the x-men movies.

I can defo see your point. The best way to get into it is probably to just pick a character or two that interest you and just dive into them. Don't worry about the bigger picture stuff.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I highly doubt it considering Marvel don't give a crap whether Jackman leaves the x-men movies.

They still get merchandise/action figures/promo posters and all that stuff. Marvel do still own the comic character and any of the assets obtained that way. If that conspiracy theory was true Marvel could just kill all mutants. Besides Kinney was actually first created in the X-Men Evolution cartoon before making her comic debut. Marvel could have let Wolverine die with Logan. They didnt obviously the movie verse will take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I found Marvel much easier to get into and I'm not sure why. I was very lucky in that my brother had been collecting graphic novels for years so I was able to pick and choose from his. He gave me some of his favourites and I took a lot of the big story arcs. I got Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion and the Captain America stuff by Ed Brubaker. I've given them all back at the stage so I can't really remember the specific books I got. I had no trouble following it all and was immediately hooked.

I wasn't as struck on the DC stuff, I love some of them. Loved Nightwing and Batman but I was fairly meh about a lot of the others. Identity Crisis was amazing.

I can defo see your point. The best way to get into it is probably to just pick a character or two that interest you and just dive into them. Don't worry about the bigger picture stuff.

Well in terms of my marvel my immediate interest character wise would be

Iron Man
    Thor
    Hulk
    Captain America
    Wolverine

Have been looking around at ways to get into those characters. The upcoming reboot seemed a good idea, but some of the above are not the original characters, and a lot has gone on.

I also don't buy issues/floppies. Just trades. New 52 was ideal since I've just gone 1-5 with Batman and have others on the way, and its just easy to find and buy.

Marvel I seem to send more time researching then actually reading

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Wikipedia can be useful as their comic character/book pages tend to have a "collected editions" section somewhere on there in chronological order with issue numbers.

This, for example, is handy for me filling gaps in Spider-Man volumes because I skipped ahead a couple of times for Fantastic Four/Johnny Storm related stuff and Superior Spider-Man then went back over.

Yep, this is the way to go. But I actually think it's easier to get into comics now. Most writers/artists tend to be on books for shorter time frames now so there isn't really that strong sense of continuity/backstory that you used to have when writers were on the book for years. Now it's pretty much 12 issues and a new writer comes in and ignores what went before. Most of these stories are 5/6 issues so you're never too far from a new jumping on point.

Well in terms of my marvel my immediate interest character wise would be

Iron Man
    Thor
    Hulk
    Captain America
    Wolverine

Have been looking around at ways to get into those characters. The upcoming reboot seemed a good idea, but some of the above are not the original characters, and a lot has gone on.

I also don't buy issues/floppies. Just trades. New 52 was ideal since I've just gone 1-5 with Batman and have others on the way, and its just easy to find and buy.

Marvel I seem to send more time researching then actually reading

Is you read Thor: God of Thunder from vol 1, "The God Butcher", you've got 5 books worth of regular Thor before it changes to the new Thor (the lady version). However, just because someone else is holding the hammer, doesn't mean original Thor is gone; he's still a huge part of the story.

By the sounds of it, your Marvel interests are based on MCU characters. Why not try out Ant-Man or Daredevil? They also have great stuff going atm. The current Ant-Man doesn't star the original but it's the character from the movie and, imo, the better Ant-Man anyway!

Is you read Thor: God of Thunder from vol 1, "The God Butcher", you've got 5 books worth of regular Thor before it changes to the new Thor (the lady version). However, just because someone else is holding the hammer, doesn't mean original Thor is gone; he's still a huge part of the story.

By the sounds of it, your Marvel interests are based on MCU characters. Why not try out Ant-Man or Daredevil? They also have great stuff going atm. The current Ant-Man doesn't star the original but it's the character from the movie and, imo, the better Ant-Man anyway!

Yeah I definitely peaked interest with Marvel after the Avengers movie.

But I used to watch all the cartoons as a kid, especially X-Men, as well as having "general" interest growing up. So if I was going to get into the MArvel comics, I'd like to atleast start with the characters I'm familiar yet, before starting something totally fresh.

Ant-man and Daredevil I guess arn't really on my radar. Didn't see the film, struggled with the current TV show. Similar to why I havn't jumped into Flash and Arrow, I find both the Tv shows terrible.

I'm taking my first Marvel dip with Deadpool today, have Volume 1 with me. Will probably finish that in one sitting, and then it will be onto Civil war. That is a pretty big book so will hopefully get me a long until next purchase.

Just as a feeler, here is my current wishlist on Amazon for Marvel related reading.

I've most of the entire trades in the wishlish, but just have volume 1 here ( to save space)
      civil War (Actually have) Civil War - Amazing Spiderman Planet Hulk World War Hulk Captain America Winter Soldier Dossier Edition Wolverine - Enemy of the state Wolverine - Old man Logan Spier-Man Blue Hawkeye - My life as a weapon Volume 1 Thor - The God Butcher Volume 1 Secret Wars Avengers - Time Runs Out Volume 1 New Avengers - Everything Dies Volume 1 Infinity Volume 1 + 2 Star Wars - Death Vader Volume 1 Deadpool - Dead Presidents Volume 1

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/06/more-post-secret-wars-titles-to-come-and-the-truth-about-the-fantastic-four-at-the-marvel-panel-at-fan-expo/

More about post secret wars. Not a reboot but jump in point for new readers. Also dispells the conspiracy the axed FF due to movies.

Yeah I definitely peaked interest with Marvel after the Avengers movie.

But I used to watch all the cartoons as a kid, especially X-Men, as well as having "general" interest growing up. So if I was going to get into the MArvel comics, I'd like to atleast start with the characters I'm familiar yet, before starting something totally fresh.

Ant-man and Daredevil I guess arn't really on my radar. Didn't see the film, struggled with the current TV show. Similar to why I havn't jumped into Flash and Arrow, I find both the Tv shows terrible.

I'm taking my first Marvel dip with Deadpool today, have Volume 1 with me. Will probably finish that in one sitting, and then it will be onto Civil war. That is a pretty big book so will hopefully get me a long until next purchase.

For MCU you should check out some of the "Ultimate" titles.

• Advertisement

Do people actually expect Marvel to come out and say they are blacklisting FF due to Fox?

Advertisement