Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Ripening - When/how?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

I have a geansai load of tomatoes on the vine that are still green, I assume the lack of sunshine hasn't helped in ripening them but can I ask how long should I leave them there before cutting them and taking them into the windowsill?

Anyone else in the same boat with outdoor tomatoes this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

vicwatson wrote: »
    I have a geansai load of tomatoes on the vine that are still green, I assume the lack of sunshine hasn't helped in ripening them but can I ask how long should I leave them there before cutting them and taking them into the windowsill?

Mine are beginning to ripen over the last week slowly.
    I would leave them on the vine edit just seen they are outside ny bad.might try get another week or so before removing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Mine are beginning to ripen over the last week slowly.
    I would leave them on the vine

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Started very late this year as I only built my greenhouse in May/June. Lots of small green fruit coming now. (2 toms gone yellow to red this week....small victories. How long can I leave in the greenhouse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'll leave them be and post next week thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Everything is late this year, since the Summer was cancelled:)

My Tom's in the Greenhouse started to ripen slowly only in the last 10 days

I pick them as soon as they start to colour, and leave them in a fruit-bowl with some bananas on top.

Then each morning I transfer the ripe ones into the fridge

Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Started very late this year as I only built my greenhouse in May/June. Lots of small green fruit coming now. (2 toms gone yellow to red this week....small victories. How long can I leave in the greenhouse ?

Last year I was also late and we were still getting ripening at the end of October in our greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd leave them out until the end of September. Here, between the wife and kiddies, any ripe ones don't last too long :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Watching Garders World last night and even Monty Don has struggled this year ! I have cut all foliage right back and nothing other than viable fruit left now to hopefully force all the nutrients into the fruit......dramatic haircut which takes from the appearance but hopefully maximises the yield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Watching Garders World last night and even Monty Don has struggled this year ! I have cut all foliage right back and nothing other than viable fruit left now to hopefully force all the nutrients into the fruit......dramatic haircut which takes from the appearance but hopefully maximises the yield

Try snipping off the growing tip of the plants also, it will as you say force the nutrients into the fruit and not into new growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Did the same today so fingers crossed the birds don't go on a tomato fest !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Did the same today so fingers crossed the birds don't go on a tomato fest !!

Thee was a magpie here a couple of years ago that liked to peck holes in my ripe tomatoes, i confess to having dark thoughts about him becoming a cats dinner! Thankfully maybe he did, none around at the moment this year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement