Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - Improve Battery Life

• 27-08-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks to improve battery life on an iPhone 5?

I've the usual stuff turned off like background app refresh etc.

Basically if my phone is fully charged in the morning it's down to 50% after around 5 hours. It just seems to shoot down too quick. I wouldn't even be using it flat out. A bit of texting in the morning, check whatsapp, twitter, facebook, sky sports. Then I wouldn't use it again for an hour or so unless I got a call or text (which I wouldn't get too much tbh). Even at night if it's fully charged and I don't plug it in the battery loses around 25% overnight without being used at all.

My iPhone 4 was fantastic for battery - I would do all the above and be at around 85% after that. It was only at the end of the day it would be at 50-60%. Then at night it would be 30-40% before going to bed and I'd charge it then.

I even remember with the iPhone 4 if I barely used it all day I would get 2 full days out of it. My dad has my iPhone 4 now and he gets nearly 3 days from it.

I charge the iPhone 5 at least twice a day.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Read this:

http://appinstructor.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

It’s by far the best and most informed guide to improving battery life. A lot of bad advice out there telling users to quit apps, disable notifications, etc, that actually has little if any positive effect on battery life and can impede function.

The only thing I’d add to the suggestions in the link is if you have any VOIP apps such as Skype, Facebook Messenger, Viber, etc, installed, consider uninstalling them if you don’t really need them. Unlike regular notifications which go through Apple’s PNS and are very battery efficient, VOIP apps maintain a separate connection to their own servers which can really drain battery in some circumstances.

Getting rid of Facebook altogether and using the web interface via Safari is generally a good idea as well. It’s one of the worst apps for draining battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have done all what's mentioned in the article, as I do with every new iPhone, and it's still awful.

If it keeps up I will probably try get a 5s or 6 in a few months, unless they are the same story?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You might just need a new battery. Or you are just using it more than you think. Have a look at your battery usage stats. Most people probably only get 6-9 hours of actual usage. Video will drain the battery, as will Facebook (a terrible app). Expecting 2-3 days of usage isn’t realistic.

I am certainly not expecting 2-3 days of usage but I thought if it was down to say 30% after 8-10 hours then that would be grand.

I only seem to get 5-6 and it's completely gone.

Maybe it does need a new battery.

How much would one cost and to get someone to put it in? (If you know off-hand).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Am getting one fitted in KK tomorrow. €45

• Advertisement

Am getting one fitted in KK tomorrow. €45

That's not bad at all - how long was the battery lasting for you?

Less than 6 hrs. Phone is 3.5 years old :(

Less than 6 hrs. Phone is 3.5 years old :(

And is the person who is doing it for get the battery or did you have to order it online and they will put it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

chops018 wrote: »
    I am certainly not expecting 2-3 days of usage but I thought if it was down to say 30% after 8-10 hours then that would be grand.

I only seem to get 5-6 and it's completely gone.

Maybe it does need a new battery.

How much would one cost and to get someone to put it in? (If you know off-hand).

What actual usage are you getting before needing to charge it? Sometimes my phone is fully charged at 4am and I need to charge it by 10:30/11am. That's with an iPhone 6

guil wrote: »
    What actual usage are you getting before needing to charge it? Sometimes my phone is fully charged at 4am and I need to charge it by 10:30/11am. That's with an iPhone 6

I never checked the actual usage.

But it would depend. If I am using it flat out then 4-5 hours. If moderate then 6-8. If barely then I would get 12-15.

So I suppose it's similar to everyone else.

I just assumed it was a bit took low if it drained after around 6 hours with only moderate usage during the day.

• Advertisement

Go to settings-general-usage. Tap on battery usage and it will tell you how long it has been on standby and actual usage.

Go to settings-general-usage. Tap on battery usage and it will tell you how long it has been on standby and actual usage.

Usage: 5 Hours, 45 Minutes.
    Standby: 1 day, 4 Hours.

Battery is at 16% now.

I've used it feck all since I charged it last night - plugged it out around 9 and it wasn't at 100% either, around 90 I think but I had to had out so couldn't wait for the full charge.

Is that good or bad?

Does it say at the bottom iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge? The standby figure won't reset until you charge it fully so see what it is tomorrow.

Does it say at the bottom iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge? The standby figure won't reset until you charge it fully so see what it is tomorrow.

Yeah it does.

Grand I'll charge it fully later and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Usage: 5 Hours, 45 Minutes.
    Standby: 1 day, 4 Hours.

Battery is at 16% now.

I've used it feck all since I charged it last night - plugged it out around 9 and it wasn't at 100% either, around 90 I think but I had to had out so couldn't wait for the full charge.

Is that good or bad?

At the moment mine says 5h52 usage, 3d22h standby, and it is still on 13%. (Usage is much less than that in reality)

I've recently done a factory reset so maybe give that a try?

At the moment mine says 5h52 usage, 3d22h standby, and it is still on 13%. (Usage is much less than that in reality)

I've recently done a factory reset so maybe give that a try?

Your standby time is not accurate. There's no way that's on a single charge.

Your standby time is not accurate. There's no way that's on a single charge.

Standby time is correct, usage is way out, under one hour. Reset it on Tuesday night and been using another phone, so just installed couple of apps and used it once or twice

Standby time is correct, usage is way out, under one hour. Reset it on Tuesday night and been using another phone, so just installed couple of apps and used it once or twice
    Can you post a screenshot?

It is crashing when I try to do that, but have the screenshot saved and will try post it later

Sorry I misread the earlier post. You can't compare the usage you have with someone who is using the phone as normal though.

• Advertisement

Sorry I misread the earlier post. You can't compare the usage you have with someone who is using the phone as normal though.

Agreed. Reason I stopped using this phone was I thought the battery was gone though - seems resetting it has improved it by removing all apps and reinstalling the ones I use

And is the person who is doing it for get the battery or did you have to order it online and they will put it in?

He supplies and fits for €45. Apple is €78 I think plus €12 carriage.
    All be it Apple fit a genuine battery,but if their lightning leads are anything to go by,genuine Apple stupp is crap. :(

Just an update here for anyone who is interested.

I got sick of the battery draining by 40% on my way to work so got a new battery fitted for €30 (usually charges €40 but he knows my dad so just charged the costs), and it's much better, very noticeable. I now get a full day with regular use before needing a charge and there does even be a bit left at night when I am about to plug it in - very happy as the iPhone 5 is still a great phone and very quick with apps etc. so I didn't want to for out €300 odd euro for a second hand 5s or 6.

Thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement