Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DF Fitness levels

• 27-08-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Its interesting to read the comments from the serving members who give advice to the people who will be starting soon.

however, one thing that isn't clear to me: are there different levels of fitness (required and maintained) between the Army, Navy and Air Force?

Also, for the people heading off with the navy out to sea, how do you keep up running and exercise when on board?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Also (if I may hijack my own thread), I recall some years back seeing an unfortunate naval service man, standing on the bow a ship that was tied up by John Rogerson's quay.

He was standing on the bow with his arms held out for quite some time (Think Christ without the cross or nails). Punishment exercise?!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ezra_ wrote: »
    He was standing on the bow with his arms held out for quite some time (Think Christ without the cross or nails). Punishment exercise?!

Perhaps he was the king of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Eh what ever he was doing it wasn't punishmentioned anyway.

Yes fitness levels vary frim Sevice to service but basic training is very similar across them all.

Recruits will do about 2 hours PT a day and about 1-1.5 hours marching (foot drill) most days.

Thats a running, local muscular endurance, circuit training, battle pt etc.

There is a very high level of fitness in the Naval Service and there can legitimately claim to be a fitness culture there now.

At sea very ship has treadily or cross trainer or rowing machine tucked away as well as a chin up bar, dips bar and some free weights.

Gym mats, kettlebells, skiing rope, TRX, heavy bag are nearly found on every ship.

The newer ships roisin, niamh, sam becks, JoJo Joyce and the Eithne all have gyms.

Peoplease at sea train daily it a big part of the day, real alone time.

They are sailors they train in weather civis couldn't stand up in.

Advertisement