Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair increase bike fees

Options
  • 27-08-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

It now costs 60 euro per bike per flight with Ryanair. ...up from 50 yo yos.
    however our resident German PK checked in his bike today as sports equipment under 20kgs for 30 euro. Anyone else got away with this?
    Tks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

however our resident German PK checked in his bike today as sports equipment under 20kgs for 30 euro. Anyone else got away with this?
    Tks
    B

tough to get it under 20kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    tough to get it under 20kg

Would imagine it would have to be a soft shell or pod case to have any hope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pfft. was 50/50 about bringing the tri bike to lanzarote in oct or hiring, given it will likely only be fun relaxed spins. think i'll just rent from the usual spot over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Tks
    B

FYI aer lingus has also increased their bike fee from 40 to 50 euro.
    Ryanair gives you an option what you want to do , fly light and cheap ie at 20 kg or pay for a heavy suitcase which may or may not be saver.
    i got my running and cycling shoes, sports nutrition, my camping gear such as tent matraces, pull buoy -all fantastic bike protetction- plus cooking stove in at 20 kg and did not need to check in another bag
    on the way back the "sport" pumpkin seed oil i acquired in austria almost brought me over the limit ;-)

kudos to ryanair from my part to give people options

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What bike bag did you use Peter?

• Advertisement

i dodnt think the bag is very important i think the important thing is padded layers around each part and how you pack it

mine is the one that chain reaction sells with their brand on 86 euro ( mine is the non branded one.

approx 6.7 k weight

i had another one that was really only a nylon back but lost that when i went to wales that was 2kg and i wanted 2 wheel covers when i looked for a new back the wheel covers would have cost me almost as much as the full bag...

I would have gone with an ambrosio bag do a very good bag for 39 pounds i think but it was to late to order
    its 2.3 kg ( they use the strongest denin out there andwhat looks like very soild renfocelemt at staps and handles)
    from experience ambrosio makes very sturdy stuff ( most durable rims i have ever used for bike touring)

Personally, I think the best option is a bicycle box the shops, get their bike delivered in re enforce with a bit of gaffa tape
    and use soft shell wheel bags ( i used them the first time and i think they are a total winner ) and another inflatable camping matrace and poul boys!!
    I use 2 pull bouys ( can also be water bottles between the fork and rear and tighten them with a quick relase between fork and rear end and some tape in this way you protect the shifter well and you built in a suspension
    ( lugage handler drop the bag on the gound so its great to have suspsnesion there ) and i also use a quick relaease extension ( something i saw on slowtwitch today mine is ..... a 30 cent pvc tube does the same job fixes with a tape

my rule is also no heathrow and charles the gaulle which are the grave yards for bikes in europe its a total no no for me. the regional airports ryanaiir uses are usualy very good with handling bikes.

anyway this is my 2 cents and there is certainly some very good hard shell boxes around but most i see are akward. and my style is different ie cycle to the airport or get to the next bus stop. so heavy bags dont work for me

and overall as i said i think its much more important how you pack the bike than what bag you use. as soon as you have pressure points were carbon hits metal or carbon etc you are in danger regardless of soft or hardshell and a badly packed hard shell can be lethal .

ps i must admit i find the wheels ont he new bag handy but thats aslo something you could fix easily in a cardboard box and do it actually beter than most manufaturer do it .

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Cost me 120 return for my bike with Ryanair for Mallorca in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just coming back to this for a moment as I am about to book a Ryanair flight for Lisbon in May. Peter, did you just choose the regular non-specific checked luggage option for your bike (which has a 20kg limit)?

I'm just worried if I do this I'll get some wagon on the check-in/bag drop desk who will have a problem with me presenting a bike bag (even if under 20kg).

Any more experience with how this actually works out in the real world since the changes last year? 120 to bring the bike on the flight is a bit saucy.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Just coming back to this for a moment as I am about to book a Ryanair flight for Lisbon in May. Peter, did you just choose the regular non-specific checked luggage option for your bike (which has a 20kg limit)?

I'm just worried if I do this I'll get some wagon on the check-in/bag drop desk who will have a problem with me presenting a bike bag (even if under 20kg).

Any more experience with how this actually works out in the real world since the changes last year? 120 to bring the bike on the flight is a bit saucy.
    i have heared of no issues at all from people, less than 20 kg is less than 20 kg and of ourse as with every airline you might get a wagon but its very unlikley all mine experiences have been super hassle free.
    and in a way they have won a customer as i dont look around for a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I've a soft bag, quite large, not heavy but definitely large :)

I'm imagining rocking up to the normal checked bag drop with what is obviously a bike and insisting that it doesn't matter it's just a <20kg piece of luggage as far as they should be concerned.

If the worst case scenario was that they charged me the balance there and then I think I will go for it, but my memory might be getting hazy I seem to remember it wasn't possible/a lot of hassle to pay an additional fee on the spot?

I'd be thinking the same way as you btw, I wouldn't look anywhere else for a better deal if I knew I could rely on this service every time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement