Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arduino bluetooth switch

• 27-08-2015 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I'm attempting to setup a bluetooth controlled switch following this guide

I have the sketch loaded and the circuit wired exactly as in the diagram.When I apply power the bluetooth module shows no signs of life.The LEDs on the Arduino and the switch both turn on but not on the bluetooth module.I know there is power going as I applied a voltmeter to the pins and used an LED in place of the module and it turns on.

I don't think the module is fried as I've tried three different units,all with the same result.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Have you got a data sheet for the Bluetooth module?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I see two potential problems with his circuit.
    (1)
    He says power the module with 3.3 Volts but the picture of bluetooth module says power should be 3.6-6V
    (2)
    it says 3.3v level on datalines while the Arduino digital pins work on 5 volts maybe there is a voltage divider missing here on rx line to bring it down to 3.3 volts

FBGL7BSHRCK2U9Y.MEDIUM.jpg

edit:

Some tutorials on youtube both use voltage dividers and both use 5volts vcc on module

Educ8s.com this guy is pretty good used his projects and code before

great scott never watched this guy before but he was a lot of views must be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

yeah I would try the 5v line,

somebody asked this question on the instructables site:

- I tried to connect the bluetooth module to 3.3V from arduino, but the module seems unstable, cannot accept connections, sometimes switches off. Using the 5V seems fine. Is it dangerous for the module?

he replied 5 would be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Those modules with the smt bluetooth module on the breakout board need more than 3.3v as you're powering a ldo regulator on them. They will also take 5v on the rx pin without issue but stick a divider in there will do no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

I'll add in a voltage divider and see what happens.Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement