Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wasps! Why are people so freakin' afraid?

• 27-08-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the deal here? Why are ppl so freaked out by wasps? Don't get it.

Story in the papers today about a boy getting knocked down while running away from an 'angry' wasp. He had a sandwich in his hands which apparently angered the wasp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Hurt when they sting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Because they're cnuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Their stings tend to....eh....sting.
    Some people react badly to wasp stings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

What, the alternative option is to stand there and let them land on us and maybe sting us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Probably because they sting you? Multiple times?! And they're just little feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Never been stung by wasp or bee in my life, will let you know if it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They're nasty little fcukers

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

My sister is allergic to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was it the wasps sambo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Because wasps dont give a fuck. They dont have a conscience. Bastards

• Advertisement

Never been stung by wasp or bee in my life, will let you know if it happens

On standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Bees stings get stuck in you when they sting you, and end up pulling their own organs out when they pull away.

Wasps know they can sting and fly off intact so they are extra evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Because theyre grumpy bastards with arse daggers. Thats a good enough reason

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

One time me and my girl were out in the woods, when my girl lost her mood ring, i went looking for it and stepped on a wasp's nest. I got stung loads and died and my girl cried. That's why me and my girl don't like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Can we have a moments silence for our friend degsie. I think we all know what's gone on here. The wasps have taken him hostage and forced him to make that post. Trying to lull us unto a false sense of security. Dead now, he is. They don't leave living witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

They bring major pain when they sting. I always have a fear one is going to be under my bed and fly out and sting me at night. This happened me once on holiday and I'm paranoid about it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Had to laugh at mate of mine who used to swear they were harmless,he used to let them crawl all over his hands like he was some kind of wasp whisperer.....until he got stung one day

degsie wrote: »

For a lot of people it seems to be that they were stung while quite young. And relatively the pain was much worse then - and probably memory has exaggerated how bad it was too.

These things coupled give a good motivation for being terrified. Until you are then stung as an adult. I have seen quite a few people stung as adults who go "Hang on - that was not really so bad actually" because the experience was nothing like they remembered from the first time.

Then there are people who have not been stung ever but have observed the terror of the people I have just described and presume it must be some awful experience. So they have a learned fear.

But then of course there are a sub set of people - thankfully a minority - for whom being stung is potentially fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They colonised half the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I got stung in the mouth a few years ago. Little fcker snuck in to my bottle of Fanta and I took a slurp of waspy fanta and he stung me.

Never forget. Never forgive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

I despise the word 'sambo'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cos they're horrible little bastards!! They hover and attack without warning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The ordinary ones are fine, it's these little feckers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bees will sting if you attack them or to defend the hive, and only once, then they die makes sense.

Wasps, "oh look, there's a human, let's go f*ck his day up, with multiple stings, why? Cause we can". Complete d*cks*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

White Anglo Saxon Protestants - What's not to be scared off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

degsie wrote: »

Story in the papers today about a boy getting knocked down while running away from an 'angry' wasp. He had a sambo in his hands!

He wasn't holding the sandwich. His friend had a sandwich and was being attacked so the young lad, being the very definition of a good friend, took on the wasp with his toy sword he was showing his friend and the wasp then followed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

PucaMama wrote: »
    My sister is allergic to them

Can she not get gluten free ones?

They're all the rage now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

its really funny when people get scared when wasps are around

• Advertisement

its really funny when people get scared when wasps are around

Funny ha ha or funny peculiar loike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Jawgap wrote: »
    Can she not get gluten free ones?

They're all the rage now.

Ha good one. :)

She was stung as a child and had an allergic reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Got stung on the neck by one once, which hurt. Never been afraid of them though. Stay calm, move slowly, and when the bastard least expects it smack it from above and stamp on it when it hits the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

kellso81 wrote: »
    One time me and my girl were out in the woods, when my girl lost her mood ring, i went looking for it and stepped on a wasp's nest. I got stung loads and died and my girl cried. That's why me and my girl don't like them

Sorry to hear that but what the fcuk is a mood ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They love the top of a beer bottle, the pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Festivals can be a trying experience with wasps, they love beer, Electric Picnic 2012 was pretty memorable for them, this guy picked up his pint near the main stage and there was about three wasps drowning in his pint of lager. Castle Palooza festival in 2008 was worse it was like living in a wasp kingdom.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

smash wrote: »
    Because they're cnuts!
    briany wrote: »
    What, the alternative option is to stand there and let them land on us and maybe sting us?

Actually wasps are just checking people out for food or threats... a friend of mine from Germany laughs at us Irish for being afraid of wasps -- she said it's really bizarre.

They will usually go away very quickly unless you have food or are wearing perfume/aftershave. Swiping at them aggravates them. I've lost my Irish phobia of wasps since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this time of year they are particularly awful things. They are everywhere you don't want them to be.

Out the back, in the garden, a plate or two, or a jamjar or two, of sugar, water and a bit of vinegar makes them drunk and they DROWN. The little bit of vinegar attracts wasps but the bees don't like it. I like bees, they do not annoy you at all, and they make honey, and they pollinate things. Wasps are useless.

But they go out happy on my concoction. And they stay away from me, cos all they want is sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't mind wasps. I hate people reacting hysterically to them though.

I've been stung twice while minding my own business. Evil fcukers and I'll scream and run away every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Actually wasps are just checking people out for food or threats...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Ive been stung a couple of times but try not to panic when one comes near,

Italy has the biggest wasps ive ever seen they are monsters the size of birds, now these I panicked about! Our little ones didnt bother me so much after seeing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Went to Ballymount recycling centre today for the first time. Doing my bit for global warming. Had bags of paper, cans, plastic etc. Chap tells me I need to separate the stuff and put them each into their respective recycling skip things. So what I thought would take five minutes, took me eleventeen hours, or close to it and the final leg of my ordeal was the beverage cans. Well, here is where the bastard wasps come into the equation. The is a fcuking nest of three of them right behind the aluminium can bank thing. They were everywhere. Hovering around me like mini remote controlled heliwasps. Instinctively I ran away and waved my hands about me while twisting and gyrating my body. A few times. Must have looked a right clown from a distance. Even bigger one to anyone closer to me.

tl;dr

Killer wasps in Walksinstown tried to kill me earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

deseil wrote: »
    Ive been stung a couple of times but try not to panic when one comes near,

Italy has the biggest wasps ive ever seen they are monsters the size of birds, now these I panicked about! Our little ones didnt bother me so much after seeing them.

Them'd probably be hornets.

Here's a handy size comparison: a hornet eating a wasp http://nikonites.com/attachments/photo-critique/53479d1379951611-hornet-vs-wasp-when-goliath-won-over-david-wasp_zps925ed7f5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Got stung for the first time ever recently (wasp got caught in the folds of my skirt). Hurts a lot. And i mean a lot. Sting also left a massive swelling for a day. Not nice.

Mother or a friend fell into a coma and subsequently died after being stung by a wasp in her windpipe (freak accident, wasp flew into her mouth). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

kylith wrote: »

So your saying we need more hornets to get rid of the wasp problem, I'l start importing them right away :D

Personally fine with them, was stung a fair few times as a child too.
    Know a couple of people (all girls) who are pretty terrified of them, its amusing till your made to sit inside rather than the nice outside area :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

kylith wrote: »

Asian hornets could appear in Ireland, warns the Dept of Agriculture

They are already spreading across mainland Europe, and pose a considerable threat to the honey bee. Here they are in action against a honey bee hive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Allergic to them and absolutely terrified of them. I have an epipen in case I get stung anywhere near my neck or face but its not exactly easy to carry around and I often forget it, thats usually when one appears. I somewhat irrationally believe they can sense my fear, it often seems to me like when one is nearby it gets quite aggressive towards me while not bothering others. I'm aware this is in my head but still hate the ****ers. A trip to the bottle bank is beyond me this time of year, genuinely too scared at this time of year, its when they're at their worst in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

They colonised half the world.
    Mostly the USA, and mostly politics, although Catholics and other groups have done well in recent years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I'm your worst enemy so.

When I see a wasp out of steam and cannot take-off, and of which is tired, I mix a half teaspoon of sugar with water into an egg-cup and mix it around well until it's watery liquid and pour it in front of the little feller so that it can drink and regain glucose and energy to fly off and sting some of you folk for being ungrateful against honey. I do the same with bees. A bit of watered sugar will get them flying again in around 10/15 minutes after drinking the stuff.

That's your free lesson for today. I should have charged you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hornets are strangely grand. Our neighbour had a nest last year and they were everywhere. They look absolutely huge and scary but they're like a class of mentally slow, drunken wasps, they fly in this weird figure of eight so it takes them quite a while to get anywhere, there's no running to escape these guys.
    I learned to my peril however that if you kill one their buddies will turn up next day to see what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement