Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero helmets...??

Options
  • 27-08-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭

Looking for feedback here....

I have a really nice aero road helmet that I purchased last year and have used in a few races. I have avoided purchasing a funny looking, pointy, aero specific helmet for a few reasons, but as my IM draws near, I'm wondering if anyone out there in the land of boards has an opinion as to whether or not a full blown aero specific helmet (Rudy Wingspan, maybe??) would save time and energy over the aero road helmet I have (Garneau Course) for those 112 miles...??? Or would the difference/savings be negligible...??? Thank you!!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Looking for feedback here....

I have a really nice aero road helmet that I purchased last year and have used in a few races. I have avoided purchasing a funny looking, pointy, aero specific helmet for a few reasons, but as my IM draws near, I'm wondering if anyone out there in the land of boards has an opinion as to whether or not a full blown aero specific helmet (Rudy Wingspan, maybe??) would save time and energy over the aero road helmet I have (Garneau Course) for those 112 miles...??? Or would the difference/savings be negligible...??? Thank you!!!! :)

I would not have classed a Garneau Course as an aero road helmet

Aero road helmet
    giro-air-attack-shield-aero-helmet-12.jpg

Garneau Course
    1378123545381-l2j86ukk2jbw-700-80.jpg

If I could fit my head in a Rudy Wingspan I would get one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I do believe what I have is a Course (I could be wrong...it's at home, I'm at work...but it does look like the bottom photo you posted above). However, I think you've answered my question...and my gut. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Wingspan is the business by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

tunney wrote: »
    I would not have classed a Garneau Course as an aero road helmet

I think I remember reading that it tests quite well in the wind tunnel despite not actually having been designed as an aero helmet? Might have been as part of an article about the Giro Air Attack?

RJM85 wrote: »
    I think I remember reading that it tests quite well in the wind tunnel despite not actually having been designed as an aero helmet? Might have been as part of an article about the Giro Air Attack?

I believe you are correct. I was shopping for the Air Attack last year, but somehow was convinced the Course was a better product, aerodynamically speaking without going full-fledged pointy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If you want something for road and TT the Sworks evade is good. Also does its job when you get run over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I believe you are correct. I was shopping for the Air Attack last year, but somehow was convinced the Course was a better product, aerodynamically speaking without going full-fledged pointy.

Be interested to know the reasons for that? I got the Giro pre-IM, wanted a new helmet but didn't want pointy, was also being mindful that it may be very hot in Austria and wanted to try keep the head cool.

What are the real advantages of pointy anyway...if you're head down a lot of the time the point is up surely negating any aeroness? :confused:

Holding a proper aero position, the Giro Selector is claimed to save 5 watts at 40km/hr vs the air attack. That equated to roughly 0.5 seconds per km. If you don't hold an ideal position that benefit is lost fairly easily.

I decided previously that I was better off with an attack, then I did a 21:18 10 mile TT... in theory I just need 9 watts to do a 20:xx and the 5 watts gained by having a selector seems like a great investment....

If I could fit my head in a Rudy Wingspan I would get one tomorrow.

Rudy's newest aero specific helmet, Wing57, comes in a Large size, unlike the Wingspan. :)
    Be interested to know the reasons for that? I got the Giro pre-IM, wanted a new helmet but didn't want pointy, was also being mindful that it may be very hot in Austria and wanted to try keep the head cool.

What are the real advantages of pointy anyway...if you're head down a lot of the time the point is up surely negating any aeroness? :confused:

Rudy's Wing57 has a shorter tail....yet comes with a tail extender for those who want the point! And this newer helmet looks to have some pretty sweet venting to keep your head cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dory..have the Kask Bambino. Love it. Feels like wearing nothing at all. (not advertising condoms)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I remember reading about the Garneau course testing well too, seemed to test better than a lot of the aero road helmet. I know on slowtwitch at the aero camp that was ran in a velodrome that the rudy helmets didn't test that well for most people. Think they were top five but usually not top three. The helmet that they seemed to recommend for most people was the s works tt.

http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/ftr/helmets/mens-road-helmets/sworks-tt

From looking at helmets myself it seems to be one helmet might work for one person and not another. From the tests they ran this seemed to test well across a lot of people and head positions. Think scott do a similar version as well called the split.

Holding position.........
    "If I wear an aero helmet I don't have to be down on the bars as much or worry about how and when I drink"

Maybe its good to focus on making a point helmet work (which all bar sky use in the protour I think)

joey100 wrote: »
    I remember reading about the Garneau course testing well too, seemed to test better than a lot of the aero road helmet. I know on slowtwitch at the aero camp that was ran in a velodrome that the rudy helmets didn't test that well for most people. Think they were top five but usually not top three. The helmet that they seemed to recommend for most people was the s works tt.

http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/ftr/helmets/mens-road-helmets/sworks-tt

From looking at helmets myself it seems to be one helmet might work for one person and not another. From the tests they ran this seemed to test well across a lot of people and head positions. Think scott do a similar version as well called the split.

Learn how to test your Cda, test it with a baseline helmet, then test with other options. Don't just guess what works for you find out.

Optical sheilds on pointy aero helmets - more aerodynamic with them???

Learn how to test your Cda, test it with a baseline helmet, then test with other options. Don't just guess what works for you find out.

Care to share how one might do this?

Optical sheilds on pointy aero helmets - more aerodynamic with them???

Shields tend to be more aero as far as I ubderstand

RJM85 wrote: »
    Shields tend to be more aero as far as I ubderstand

depends...............

Advertisement