Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house and they want me to register with Irish Water before I even own it.

Options
  • 27-08-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,

We are at contracts stage of buying a house and they have stipulated a condition that we need to register with Irish Water and register the septic tank with the council.

Why are they asking me to do this when I am not the owner of the property yet? Is this a legal requirement now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I would refuse. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I would refuse. Very strange.

I've asked the question as to who is behind the condition and the logic behind it as I honestly don't understand why. If I close the sale and then it becomes my responsibility of course but hardly before we close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

re the septic tank - seems like they are talking nonsense asking you to do it

https://www.protectourwater.ie/default.aspx

You will require a Certificate of Registration when selling/transferring ownership of a property. This certificate will confirm that the property has been registered.

If you are in the process of selling your property then please contact the Protect Our Water Support Centre by phone or email after you have registered your property's domestic wastewater treatment system and request a Certificate of Registration.

The new owner is responsible for updating the ownership details on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It will probably now be in the new Law Society Objections and Requisitions on Title that are part of the conveyancing process. Ask your solicitor.

The relevant "water services authority" is now Irish water.

EDIT: Found it -- from http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/Gazette%202015/Gazette-april2015.pdf#page=52

Change of ownership of domestic septic tanks
    CONVEYANCING COMMITTEE

Under section 4 of the Water Services Act 2007 (as inserted by section 70D of the Water Services (Amendment) Act 2012), a person who sells a premises connected to a “domestic waste water treatment system” (which would include a septic tank) is obliged to furnish a valid certificate of registration in respect of the treatment system to the purchaser of the premises.

After completion of the sale, it is the purchaser of the premises who is obliged to notify the relevant water services authority of the change of ownership of the premises. It is not recommended that solicitors take on the obligation of making this notification. Purchasers should be informed of this obligation.

Advertisement