Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgian Shepherd - is it a restricted breed in ROI or not?

• 27-08-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

A claimant insists that a Belgian Shepherd has to be muzzled and leashed at any time. Reason: It is a restricted breed according to Irish law.

The local dog warden supports this point of view and refers to the "Control of Dogs Act, 1986", which according to him lists Belgian Shepherds.

There is no such a list in this law.

In fact, there is a list in the "Control of Dogs Regulations, 1998". However, this list does not contain ***Belgian*** Shepherds (German Shepherds are listed).

I understand this list as a definitive list.

Is there any other regulation, which may oblige Belgian Shepherds to be muzzled (purely based on their breed)?

In my opinion the dog warden is not right.

Kind regards,
    Snoopy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

You are right, Belgian Shepherds do not appear on the Restricted Dog List!

It does however say 'These dogs (or strains and crosses of them)'

To the untrained eye and joe soap a Belgian Shepherd can look like a GSD or GSD cross, but dog warden should definitely know better!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The dog wardens in my neck of the woods have done their research, and have discovered that Belgian Shepherds are not a strain of GSD: the BSD pre-dates the GSD! So, they do not expect owners of BSDs to obey the 1998 regulations (where the warden in your case got it that the list is in the 1986 Act is pretty mind-boggling... you'd expect them to know the laws they enforce!)
    However, I know other wardens in other parts of the country, including Dublin, interpret the 1998 regs that the BSD is a strain of the GSD. I am pretty sure they haven't actually had this tested in court yet, because if the owner fought it with the same evidence gathered by the wardens up here, the wardens would not be able to prove their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 20150827

Hi DBB,
    DBB wrote: »
    you'd expect them to know the laws they enforce!

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the standard around here, but I am constantly lowering my expectations in order not to be disappointed.

Belgian Shepherds are on that list and the earth is a disc. Dog wardens and popes are always right.

Snoopy,
    --
    There is no dog.
    Dyslexic society of atheists.

Advertisement