Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There will be a good switch in jet energy from the east Pacific to the Atlantic over the next 5 days. The exact interaction of this with low level features cannot be narrowed down at this stage but it seems likely that somewhere we will see a couple of those strong storms being progged, just exactly where is the question.

Now
    ecm05_nhem_uv300_msl_2015122312_012.png

Tuesday
    ecm05_nhem_uv300_msl_2015122312_144.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Here are the swells that Magicseaweed is predicting for he 30th.

The low pressure centre has moved slightly more North in their predictions than in yesterday's.

You can still see it in this photo though just north of the swell.

Looks pretty bad.

372555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Probably going to skirt to the north-west on this run, but an incredibly dangerous storm progged on the 0z GFS

gfs-0-144.png?0?0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like a couple of lows cross close to or right over Ireland next week in the ECM. Impossible to nail down specifics yet but the potential is there.
    It looks like a deep low crosses Ireland on the UKMO between 120-144 too.
    0Z GFS has a storm further in FI on New Years Day.

Gusts at sea off the south coast are up to 185 km/h here.

mFisaral.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Met Eireann flagging both of these possible events in this mornings forecast.

Potentially extremely windy or stormy weather with heavy rain developing Monday night and for a time on Tuesday.

Extremely disturbed weather will continue through the week, with some very wet and extremely windy spells expected at times, some drier brighter interludes also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Gusts at sea off the south coast are up to 185 km/h here.

mFisaral.jpg

If I'm reading this right, and we can't see the isobars further out, this is about the best track for this event in terms of the wind over land. If it comes further North, it could be problematic, the lack of gradient so close to the centre seems to imply that it might be a relatively benign event for most of the country.

My bigger concern, along with I suspect many others, is the potential rainfall out of something like this, given how much water there already is still on the ground, and the attendant flooding risks.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

If I'm reading this right, and we can't see the isobars further out, this is about the best track for this event in terms of the wind over land. If it comes further North, it could be problematic, the lack of gradient so close to the centre seems to imply that it might be a relatively benign event for most of the country.

My bigger concern, along with I suspect many others, is the potential rainfall out of something like this, given how much water there already is still on the ground, and the attendant flooding risks.

That is heading northeast, so it would bring strong winds over the east later on that track.

It's pointless looking at specifics seriously at this point though. Latest gfs, for example now puts the deep low south of Iceland on the 30th, we'll away from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The BBC said we definitely are in for a storm on Monday or Tuesday

06Z GFS now showing no storms between now and Dec 31st. Lows are kept further west. Quite a lot of rain over the south and east on that run though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS 06Z teases in deep FI with an absolute beauty at 280 hours

Cold pool meets low pressure. #Snow.

06vtrU7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thankfully storms staying out West on latest run, yaaa for downgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Juicy uppers....

372573.png

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I know some on here love storms but its good to look at the fi thread and see dark blues. Thats the reason most of us visit. Delighted storms around new year now looking less likely too. Sick to the gills of wind and rain.....

I know some on here love storms but its good to look at the fi thread and see dark blues. Thats the reason most of us visit. Delighted storms around new year now looking less likely too. Sick to the gills of wind and rain.....

I wouldnt say less likely yet. No storms on the 06Z GFS, but the most recent ECM and UKMO did show potential storms. We'll see what the 12Z runs show. I don't think anything will be certain for a couple of more days at least.

Pretty amazing 12Z GFS FI with the cold pool on one side of us and a stalled deep Atlantic low on the other side of us. Ireland right in the middle of a battleground between a snowfest and rainfest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Pretty amazing 12Z GFS FI with the cold pool on one side of us and a stalled deep Atlantic low on the other side of us. Ireland right in the middle of a battleground between a snowfest and rainfest there.

One of the greatest 12z runs so far this Winter. :)

I think the winter of 1947 went the same, mild start to winter then it plunged us into the freezer..........

Yes.png
    image hosting 30 mb

This is just AWESOME stuff.

One of the greatest 12z runs so far this Winter. :)

I think the winter of 1947 went the same, mild start to winter then it plunged us into the freezer..........

Yes.png
    image hosting 30 mb

This is just AWESOME stuff.

Yep pretty cool to see the different airmasses colliding like that. But like the big storms shown yesterday, the GFS FI will no doubt change again tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can't remember there being a Tuesday, December 29th without a storm or heavy rain!

1998 - flooding in Blackwater
    2009 - falls up to 40mm in the south
    2015 - now looking like a storm will come on this day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I said that a few times here over the past week.
    I think were in for a hard January.
    Get the logs coal and turf stacked up ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

..... a meteorological myth, there was no mild start to that winter as Europe froze in December.

Rrea00119461217.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

..... a meteorological myth, there was no mild start to that winter as Europe froze in December.

Says who ?

Another near miss on the 18Z GFS.

jxCxl2Nl.jpg

B17G wrote: »
    The lovely snowmageddon charts from earlier in the day have disappeared off the latest run. Oh the tease that is FI.....:(.

giphy.gif

Oh no they haven't! #snowfest

qqvc72wl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Ah, sorry Maq. After deleting that post in a fit of unhappiness, if anybodys confused looking for the original!!

I shall try to stay optimistic! There's a -12 upper nibbling at the SE coast at +300.

372620.png

18Z GFS FI goes into Christmas eye candy land, and by the end of the run....

tTAJSeNl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

18Z GFS FI goes into Christmas eye candy land, and by the end of the run....

tTAJSeNl.jpg

Christmas present! Ta! I will take hope over nowt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Says who ?
    Read reports from December 1946 here.
    THE GREAT FREEZE.
    Impact On Western Europe.
    LONDON, Dec. 22.-England and Western Europe are in-the
    grip of the most intense cold this winter. The Vistula River is
    frozen over, the temperature at Prague is 28 degrees below freezing
    point, the Rhine for the first time since 1929 is ice-bound at three
    points in the French occupational zone, and in London yesterday
    the shortest day of the year was also' the coldest.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/46250351

Advertisement