Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces September 9th event

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Cause havoc in small wifi networks in work with 20-39 devices. Constantly dropping wifi to main AirPort Extreme routers and only got magic ally better in the last 3 months.

That was some new DNS daemon they added and then removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It's the same price as last year. Which sold vastly more than the year before

Most people buy on some kind of contract. Also expect their phone rental program to go worldwide eventually.

Nope, sorry. It is over $200 AUD MORE expensive then the iphone6 that was release last year.
    Take the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB, when released last year $1249 AUD.
    Now, iphone6s Plus 128GB, $1529 AUD....
    For what, a better camera a few bells and whistles for essentially the same device?

If you think that's grand, then fair enough but there is no way I would upgrade my iphone6 to the 6s and I am sure I am not the only one. We will see over the coming months with sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I don't think Apple rely on people upgrading every year - they're aware that most people sign 2 year contracts with carriers.

The way it's supposed to work is that every time you upgrade (i.e. every two years), you receive a significantly upgraded phone (so if one goes from 5s to 6s, it's a massive improvement).

It'd be a small minority of people who buy phones unlocked and replace them yearly. Also I don't think investors and Apple are expecting as big sales as last year because of this. iPhone 7 will probably be the next monster release.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I don't think Apple rely on people upgrading every year - they're aware that most people sign 2 year contracts with carriers.

The way it's supposed to work is that every time you upgrade (i.e. every two years), you receive a significantly upgraded phone (so if one goes from 5s to 6s, it's a massive improvement).

It'd be a small minority of people who buy phones unlocked and replace them yearly. Also I don't think investors and Apple are expecting as big sales as last year because of this. iPhone 7 will probably be the next monster release.

I dont think that is true, they expect people to upgrade year on year they live off the queue outside the store and make marketing waves with it.
    There is nothing different from last year than 2 / 3 years ago. Im unsure why investors would think differently. Than they have previously ??

I think the share price is taking a hit not because of this cynical stuff you just came up with its because Investors were unsure where the future was in the Watch, and also looked starkly at the sales figures of Ipads declining year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jank wrote: »
    Nope, sorry. It is over $200 AUD MORE expensive then the iphone6 that was release last year.
    For what, a better camera a few bells and whistles for essentially the same device?

If you think that's grand, then fair enough but there is no way I would upgrade my iphone6 to the 6s and I am sure I am not the only one. We will see over the coming months with sales.

Apple's pricing is done based on the US dollar. The poster was probably saying it's the same price as last year because it is, if you take the slide where they showed the US dollar price.

The euro price will raise again much like your Australian Dollar price because well the AUD and EUR are terrible against the dollar at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jaymcg91 wrote: »

That's what I've done since the 3GS.
    I got the 4 as I only had the 3GS for a month and was able to sell it and buy up north. I've skipped the 'S' cycles and got the 5 then the 6 up north.

As cool as the small tech changes are in the 6S I couldn't afford to buy it so I wait for the 7.

*now to start an iPhone 7 rumors thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

Does anyone know if you can pre order tomorrow and collect in the Belfast store when it's released like last year.

I rang the Belfast store but your man hadn't a clue what he was talking about

I tried to explain to him that process happened last year but he couldn't answer me so I guess he's only new in the store

Does anyone know if you can pre order tomorrow and collect in the Belfast store when it's released like last year.

I rang the Belfast store but your man hadn't a clue what he was talking about

I tried to explain to him that process happened last year but he couldn't answer me so I guess he's only new in the store
    Nope, he could be there years. Apple tell their retail staff nothing. Many don't know anything right up until the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

Nope, he could be there years. Apple tell their retail staff nothing. Many don't know anything right up until the last minute

I'm well aware of that but the pre order goes live tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just ordered the 64gb 6 Plus. Have a friend in apple so got it for €720. Dont think the 6 Plus S was worth the upgrade.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of that but the pre order goes live tomorrow
    then the last minute is 7:59am on the 12th of september :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

godtabh wrote: »
    Just ordered the 64gb 6 Plus. Have a friend in apple so got it for €720. Dont think the 6 Plus S was worth the upgrade.

Can we be friends? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Can we be friends? :pac:

I'm afraid not. I need to suck up to her for the 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Those seeing the Apple TV as a must buy, can I ask why?
    I feel I`m missing something. Ok if you search for a title it will bring up all the options where you can stream it from which will be convenient I suppose but I cant see much more to be excited about. App store doesnt really appeal to me games wise. The only reason i would use it is if there were apps for foreign tv catch up services.

Any of the major networks they have lined up to stream wont be available here.

No Siri.

I still have my ATV2 and only use it at this stage for airplay.

I want to be excited about the new Apple TV but I amnt and Im hoping I`m missing something and in its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

adox wrote: »
    I feel I`m missing something. Ok if you search for a title it will bring up all the options where you can stream it from which will be convenient I suppose but I cant see much more to be excited about. App store doesnt really appeal to me games wise. The only reason i would use it is if there were apps for foreign tv catch up services.

No Siri.

I want to be excited about the new Apple TV but I amnt and Im hoping I`m missing something and in its potential.

The App Store is the big thing for me, the UI overhaul is nice too. I'm into it for the game possibilities, also apps being built for the TV like RTE player, because right now streaming via AirPlay isn't as attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DubDJ wrote: »
    The App Store is the big thing for me, the UI overhaul is nice too. I'm into it for the game possibilities, also apps being built for the TV like RTE player, because right now streaming via AirPlay isn't as attractive.

if that game they demoed with the duck crossing the road is the type of games we can expect on the ATV, I wouldn't be holding my breath. It was like getting in a time machine back to the '90s.

I'm a baseball fan though and did like the app for that so I might upgrade and move the ATV2 to the bedroom TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

DubDJ wrote: »

Yeah, this time next year there will be apps we wondered how we ever got along without.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

http://hijinksensue.com/comic/surface-tension/

From 3 years ago. So funny. (Via Gruber)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

This time last year the AUD was trading at 0.91 against the USD. Today it is trading at 0.71 against the USD. Your $1,249 from last year is $1,600 in today's money.

You're getting a $70 discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Senecio wrote: »
    This time last year the AUD was trading at 0.91 against the USD. Today it is trading at 0.71 against the USD. Your $1,249 from last year is $1,600 in today's money.

You're getting a $70 discount.

Yeh, that's how it works.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

No Siri.

I don't use Plex but it's been confirmed that they'll be on the new Apple TV — http://www.itworld.com/article/2982961/hardware/exclusive-plex-is-coming-to-apple-tv.html

I'm sure this tickles the under carriage of a lot of people.

very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Yeah I seen that. So true isn't it. :)
    You see so many quotes from people over the years defending apples decisions, if you need a keyboard your using it wrong etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't use Plex but it's been confirmed that they'll be on the new Apple TV — http://www.itworld.com/article/2982961/hardware/exclusive-plex-is-coming-to-apple-tv.html

I'm sure this tickles the under carriage of a lot of people.

That would be a big plus alright, although I currently have it running on NowTV which is about €15.

Apple's pricing is done based on the US dollar. The poster was probably saying it's the same price as last year because it is, if you take the slide where they showed the US dollar price.

The euro price will raise again much like your Australian Dollar price because well the AUD and EUR are terrible against the dollar at the moment.

You have a point regards the FX volatility, however as mentioned when the AUD was over parity with USD, US apple products were still cheaper. Now, there is a sense of price gouging. Of course, when we see such moves the income of normal Aussies will not be changed. If iPhones are 20% more expensive in real terms in 12 months then one can be assured that wages here have not increased 20%. Will be interesting if we see localised sales but a number of people who are IT contractors (i.e. on decent 6 AUD figure salaries here) have commented that the top of the range phone is over the $1500 mark. Apple are certainly touching the mass affordability celling with their latest iPhone here in OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

That iPad Pro price is just crazy. People here have been saying that they should be comparing it to the Surface Pro as both are at the same price point. But with 32 GB of storage and 2 GB of ram vs the i5, 8GB of ram and 128 SSD in the Surface Pro is just no comparison. Not to mention Micro SD and USB ports. No idea why anyone neutral would choose it over the Surface Pro.

The iPad Pro is not aimed at people who are buying it themselves (hence the Pro name) and not competing against Surface (IOS vs Win10). The iPad pro in a word is for the Medical Sector for looking at MRI scans etc on the go. One of the launch apps demoed was from an Dublin based Medical Software Company. So in short this is targeted at health care and some other industry verticals (Look at the Apple IBM partnership to get a sense of what's going on here) who are utterly price insensitive and in actual fact the price is very very reasonable compared to some proprietary solutions. Not having MicroSD or USB ports is an actual plus for these organisations (total control in a FDA accredited environment). They will use the device in controlled environments with high speed WiFi.

And I say all of that as someone who has an Surface Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

micosoft wrote: »
    The iPad Pro is not aimed at people who are buying it themselves (hence the Pro name)

Like the macbook pro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

This isn't Australia.

This isn't Australia.

Thank you clearing that up, but perhaps re read the thread again to understand the post. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I don't like the price rises either but I can understand where they're coming from. Also don't forget that US prices are listed without sales tax or VAT.

I think the rate in Australia is 10%. The 6S plus starts at 1229 AUD. Deduct the VAT and convert to USD today and it comes to $788. The US price is $749 so you're paying $40 dollars or roughly 5% more.

They could probably argue that the smaller market, cost of doing business, warranties etc could justify that or maybe it's just 5% cream on top for Apple but it's not a massive difference to the US price. If they hadn't put an increase based on the FX changes you'd probably be paying less than the US price.

Advertisement