Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies Everybody Seems To Love ........ But You Hate!?!

• 27-08-2015 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

For me it's the Star Wars movies ......... don't get the appeal at all??? :confused:

Also hate the Harry Potter movies and was never a big fan of the Bond movies until Daniel Craig popped up ........ but whenever I mention not liking these movies some people are genuinely shocked!

I can understand to some extent as I'm very surprised that some people don't like the LOTR Trilogy or, even more astounding to me, The Godfather Trilogy ......... so what movies do you hate that everybody around you seem to love?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Second star wars, they look OK but are just so juvenile.

Was really looking forward to The Prophet but was totally underwhelmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Survey you must like spaceballs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I hated Bridesmaids, I don't get the appeal at all. I could barely make it through the whole movie.

And don't worry (not that I think you are particularly worried about it) about hating the Harry Potter movies. I think the first ones are generally accepted as being terrible but we all like them because they remind us of the books. The later ones are still fairly meh though. I don't understand anyone who can like those movies who doesn't like the book first. I don't think they even make sense half the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anchorman.

The Hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Dark Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The X-MEN movies - puerile rubbish, can't understand how they keep making them. They're actually the most ridiculous 'superheroes/ mutants/ whatever !!

And now they can time travel to actually meet their 'rebooted' versions of themselves. Imagine Daniel Craig travelling back to meet Pierce Brosnan and then they team up together? That how ridiculous the X-MEN movies have got.

First there was jump the shark, then nuke the fridge, now it's 'Days of Future Past'

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

LOTR for me, steaming pile of shoite tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shindlers list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Skyfall. It just seemed to drag on and on. The "Home alone" style scenes in Scotland, I found dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Dark Knight.

I never really liked any comic book type movies except the 1st Superman but thought Batman Begins was fantastic so I couldn't wait for TDK. I was so disappointed with it. The movie just never got going for me. I almost left the cinema.

Jerry McGuire is another and I did leave half way through to get a Brandy into me. I just couldn't take any more of Tom Cruise in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Has to be Avatar. Just thought the plot was so derivative and wasn't blown away by the 3D either. And the overall PG-13 feel of the thing was the final nail in the coffin for me.

This was from the man who brought us Aliens, Terminators 1 & 2, Rambo 2, True Lies, but I guess studios are too afraid to do 'R' rated blockbusters any more.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The Blues Brothers,could never warm to it for some reason.Anchorman,not funny at all.In fact I've never liked any of Will Ferrels films that I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Avatar for me as well, went to see it with great expectations and was totally underwhelmed,I don't know maybe I'm just too old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Jerry McGuire is another and I did leave half way through to get a Brandy into me. I just couldn't take any more of Tom Cruise in it.

Pretty much anything with Tom Cruise in it. Really dont see why he is rated so highly, most of his films are just blaaaaahhh look at me I'm Tom Cruise.

Exception is The Edge of Tomorrow, because he dies again and again and well Emily Blunt enough said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Departed. One of the dullest things I've ever seen at the cinema. 2.5 hours of posturing and pretentiousness that I could have spent watching cat videos.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Avatar was awfully boring, Titanic was ****e, Mean Streets is the single most overrated film in Martins locker and I don't have much love for the likes of the Harry Potter films (tried watching them, gave up) most of the funny chick flicks, like Bridesmaids and the dumb male ones like The Hangover.

I could probably go on for ages if I put some thought into it, but then isn't that what its about, art is subjective :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TruncatisVinea

Groundhog Day. I just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

12 years a slave. Just 'roots' the TV show broken down into a movie. Made out to be groundbreaking but has been done before plenty of times. Pity I loved McQueens other movies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Deer Hunter - Great acting but a dull snoozefest of a movie.
    The Dark Knight - It never quite kicked into gear for me, then again I was never a big fan of the superhero genre.
    Star Wars - Could never get into them.
    Lord of the Rings - As above.
    Inception - Great special effects, but overall i found it boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'll probably be crucified for this, but I hated Fight Club. Just hated everything about it and left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think a lot of movies are massively over hyped to be honest. I agree with tony stark about 12 Years a Slave, I thought it was good but not great. But I think it's mainly because I heard so much hype about it, I expected it to be incredible. If I'd heard nothing about it, I'd probably have been much more impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

The Big Lebowski

Seriously, I can't understand why it's so often rated highly by various people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

ncmc wrote: »
    I'll probably be crucified for this, but I hated Fight Club. Just hated everything about it and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh yeah, I absolutely hated Fight Club too. Got to the end and thought "I can't believe I wasted two hours(or whatever it was) of my life on that. Hated Forrest Gump too, and Saving Private Ryan - sure the opening was spectacular but the story was a steaming pile of manure. Never really seen a Scorcese film I liked either, which is probably heresy to a load of people, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Gladiator.

Yawn fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Everyone seemed to love it, I just sat there bored off my tree. Probably due to my brain being melted from years of Marvel films as I did enjoy them at one stage.

Or Zodiac. Everyone loved it and I really wanted to but it just wasn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Watchmen, total utter rubbish.

LOTR, even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Pretty much anything with Tom Cruise in it. Really dont see why he is rated so highly, most of his films are just blaaaaahhh look at me I'm Tom Cruise.

Exception is The Edge of Tomorrow, because he dies again and again and well Emily Blunt enough said.

I really enjoyed the first mission impossible.

You can't have enough Emily Blunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Pulp fiction. No depth and overly pretentious.

...I await the bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Blues Brothers,could never warm to it for some reason.

<speechless>

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Said it before and I will say it again, Fargo.

Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moonriver99

Anchorman - not funny
    Inception - trying to be too clever
    Avatar - got boring after a while
    Ted - stupid... Just don't find a talking Bear funny... And i find it odd tat grown people could watch it.
    The Notebook - too mushy

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moonriver99

Said it before and I will say it again, Fargo.

Now.

I agree Fargo was boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Pulp Fiction...I could never warm to it....John Travolta didn't help the cause..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Scarface, I can't stand Al Pacino's acting in it. It's just too put on and far too ott. Every time he talks I get annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Scarface, I can't stand Al Pacino's acting in it. It's just too put on and far too ott. Every time he talks I get annoyed.

Out of curiosity, when did you first watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bridesmaids.
    Juno.
    Harry Potter movies.
    50 Shades of Grey.
    Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Second Big Lebowski, I feel like I'm missing the joke or something when watching it.

mikeym wrote: »
    Bridesmaids.
    Juno.
    Harry Potter movies.
    50 Shades of Grey.
    Star Wars.

Is 50 Shades Of Grey really a movie that is universally loved though? I think most people, who have seen it, disliked it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Michael Collins, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, In The Name Of The Father.

Great films, but I cant watch them. Watching them makes fills me with rage and makes me want to join the Ra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The first time I saw Groundhog Day, I thought it was sh1te. Now, for some reason, I think it is a great movie. Sometimes the mood you are in can ruin a movie.

Muriel's Wedding: "You're terrible Muriel", the movie is terrible.
    Strictly Ballroom: strictly bulls1h1t
    The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, when did you first watch it?

Twenty years after it came out in 2003. I don't know if it's an 80s thing but most of the moves I like are from the 80s era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Hate Star Wars, Harry Potter besides the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Wedwood wrote: »
    The X-MEN movies - puerile rubbish, can't understand how they keep making them. They're actually the most ridiculous 'superheroes/ mutants/ whatever !!

And now they can time travel to actually meet their 'rebooted' versions of themselves. Imagine Daniel Craig travelling back to meet Pierce Brosnan and then they team up together? That how ridiculous the X-MEN movies have got.

First there was jump the shark, then nuke the fridge, now it's 'Days of Future Past'

Jaysus.

Yeah, nuke the fridge. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. It set the standard for the rest of the movie.

Twenty years after it came out in 2003. I don't know if it's an 80s thing but most of the moves I like are from the 80s era.

I think that could be the problem ......... it's one of my favourite movies but I first saw it in the mid-80's so, even though it has aged quite a lot, I still love re-watching it.

Scarface captured a very specific time in history perfectly but that has resulted in the movie being stuck permanently in that specific time ........ anybody I know who watches the movie now, having never seen it previously, really hates it and just don't understand why it is loved by so many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

• Pan's Labyrinth - too sharp & nasty
    • Hot Shots (all movies) - too cheesy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

John wick. The acting and delivery of lines was so bad it almost seemed like a complete mock up of the genre. Granted some of the action set pieces were good but not good enough to overshadow the acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Wedwood wrote: »

Jaysus.

Thats just more a comprehension issue if thats all thats confusing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, nuke the fridge. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. It set the standard for the rest of the movie.

It was meant as a laugh for gods sake.

All the Indiana Jones movies are totally ridiculous and that's part of the fun of the them.

I've never understood the hate for the 4th Indian Jones Film it's really good fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Really glad to hear other people hated Bridesmaids. I feared I was the only one.
    It was as if Hollywood thought "how can we make women funny? I know, we'll put the same kind of humour that sells to teenage boys in the mouths of women and it will be fantastic." Seriously, it was terrible. Emperor's New Clothes.

I have a related rant about how Saturday Night Live and anything it spawns is also not funny.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Passin thru

O Brother where art thou.....just didn't get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

The notebook. Probably because I watched it a good while after it first came out and I didn't think it lived up to the hype about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement