Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies Everybody Seems To Love ........ But You Hate!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The Shawshank Redemption. Cheesy and predictable. Every prison movie cliche rolled up into one film, it's all been done before and it's all been done better. The movie equivalent of listening to a wedding band.

Also started the whole "Morgan Freeman patronising the audience by explaining everything that's happening in the movie thing", which he's been doing ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Shawshank Redemption. Cheesy and predictable. Every prison movie cliche rolled up into one film, it's all been done before and it's all been done better. The movie equivalent of listening to a wedding band.

Also started the whole "Morgan Freeman patronising the audience by explaining everything that's happening in the movie thing", which he's been doing ever since.

Examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Bridesmaids is rubbish

Interstellar is ridiculously ****, people need to get over their Christopher Nolan hard on

That new mad Max film - turned off after 30 mins

What Richard did - just f#ck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Interstellar was not a good movie by any means even though I feel glad I watched at the end for some strange reason a film never made me feel that way so I'm on the fence with interstellar.

Mad max was crap my friends all loved it and I enjoyed the original some what.

Wolf of Wall Street was 2hours of nothing in my opinion.

Bridesmaids is rubbish

Interstellar is ridiculously ****, people need to get over their Christopher Nolan hard on

That new mad Max film - turned off after 30 mins

What Richard did - just f#ck off

I don't necessarily agree with your opinions ...... but that is some funny s**t!!!! :D:D:D
    Made me laugh anyway. :)

ps Haven't seen Interstellar yet, been putting it off because everybody keeps going on about how amazing it is ........ refreshing to see a new take on it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

The Anchorman movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

MadDog76 wrote:
    I don't necessarily agree with your opinions ...... but that is some funny s**t!!!! Made me laugh anyway.

MadDog76 wrote:
    ps Haven't seen Interstellar yet, been putting it off because everybody keeps going on about how amazing it is ........ refreshing to see a new take on it!

Lol to be honest I was enjoying it and then it happened , my pet hate, the "if the credits roll I'll be pissed off" moment and then there they were ,so I instantly hated it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Godfather even though I like other mob movies. Just found it as boring as hell

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

ncmc wrote: »
    I'll probably be crucified for this, but I hated Fight Club. Just hated everything about it and left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Great example of a satire failing to hit the mark and being misappropriated by the idiots it aims to take the piss out of.

Just look at all the wannabe tough guys on comments sections with their Tyler Durden avatars. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    The Godfather even though I like other mob movies. Just found it as boring as hell
    Watch it again, what makes it great is that it doesn't go for the easy thrills of other gangster films. It's a really layered, beautifully paced, atmospheric and haunting film.

I actually think it's less a gangster film and more a rich family drama that happens to have a few killings in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Scarface, I can't stand Al Pacino's acting in it. It's just too put on and far too ott. Every time he talks I get annoyed.
    Al Pacinos wide eyed shouting does my head in.

Love Actually,actually mushy clichéd sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Star Wars............Fine for children under 12 but adults? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

LOTR movies. Tried on numerous occasions to watch these movies over the years in my teenager years and recently my adult years...could never last the full first movie. Just honestly so boring and hard to keep interested.

Exact same thing happened with the hobbit movies.

The hunger games. I LOVED the books. I think the movie spoiled the whole thing for me.

galljga1 wrote: »
    The first time I saw Groundhog Day, I thought it was sh1te. Now, for some reason, I think it is a great movie. Sometimes the mood you are in can ruin a movie.

Muriel's Wedding: "You're terrible Muriel", the movie is terrible.
    Strictly Ballroom: strictly bulls1h1t
    The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: rubbish.

I turned groundhog day off after half an hour thinking it was terrible. Loved it second time around like you did.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

silverharp wrote: »

The Godfather is way too long it needs about an hour cut off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Lost in Translation and Little Miss Sunshine, overhyped and the hipper then thou love in especially with LIT (when I hear some call it the best film of the 00's I want to pull the eyes out of my sockets). I would add Sofia Coppola's whole career so far, she's style over substance and badly needs a screenwriter.

Saving Private Ryan- Great first 20 minutes and last 15 or so minutes, but the whole flag waving sugary Spielberg nonsense comes to haunt it. Not a awful film just not the classic many like to think it is. The Thin Red line was the better war film that year In 1998.

Star War films and the Long of the Ring and Hobbit films, hate all the geek talk and stupid behaviour both of those saga's bring out in grown ass men and women. The Ring's films could have done with some major editing and Star Wars would have been better if it was left alone by greedy studio exes wanting to make money.

American Hustle- I thought The Fighter was great and even Silver Lining Playbooks was fine (although J.Law didn't deserve that Oscar). I thought the Scorsese rip off that was Hustle was a major disappointment. Just can't see why people think it's a great film. David O Russell best film to date is still Three Kings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

tipptom wrote: »
    Love Actually,actually mushy clichéd sh*te.

This is about movies everyone else loves.I've yet to meet anyone who'll admit to liking that cinematic crime against humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Star Trek/Star Wars. Never floated my both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Star Trek/Star Wars. Never floated my boat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Far And Away.

Fairy Tale with Tom Cruise as Irish emigrant to America. Even his cruel Irish landlord gets a fresh start there with a happy ending for himself.
    At the time the Irish Media and public lapped it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I never cared for the Godfather..it insists upon itself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 dman93

The godfather, Schindler list, pulp fiction, lotr, star wars, 'insert reason as to why these movies are bad and my opinion is edgy as a knife'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Anchorman - not funny
    Inception - trying to be too clever
    Avatar - got boring after a while
    Ted - stupid... Just don't find a talking Bear funny... And i find it odd tat grown people could watch it.
    The Notebook - too mushy

^^
    Ted - complete rubbish.

Usual Suspects - someone told me the ending right at the start, made the film pretty boring!

Mad Max: Fury Road - what happened? did anything happen? was it just a long car chase? I read a few reviews that said Charlize Theron stole the show? How?? There was nothing to steal.

darkdubh wrote: »
    This is about movies everyone else loves.I've yet to meet anyone who'll admit to liking that cinematic crime against humanity.
    I agree with you about the crime but I don't think you realise how much loved this movie is especially in England.

Cost $45m to make,made $245m,a share of baftas and golden globes among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

The Hunger Games - I quite like J Law but mutheragod, yer man that plays Peeta?? WTF was the casting director thinking!!! J Law is like his fecking mammy in them.

The Hangover movies - pure shiote, although himself nearly wets himself watching them.

I absolutely DESPISED Wolf of Wall St when I saw it in the cinema and only very reluctantly watched it when it was on Sky, but now I bloody love it! So I definitely think it depends on the mood you are in.

I absolutely DESPISED Wolf of Wall St when I saw it in the cinema and only very reluctantly watched it when it was on Sky, but now I bloody love it! So I definitely think it depends on the mood you are in.
    Hated it in the cinema. Gave it another watch due to effusive praise and defenses from people whose opinion I really respect... still hated it.

What gets my goat about that movie is that it showers you in money, coke and hookers for 2 and a half hours and then has the gall to blame you for what both the film and Belfort are doing. That final scene is like Jordan Belfort smugly going "stop hitting yourself! stop hitting yourself! stop hitting yourself!" to the audience who have put up money just to watch a Scorsese film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

OldRio wrote: »
    Star Wars............Fine for children under 12 but adults? Seriously?

Adults have great affection for it as it was a huge part of their childhood. The toys as well as the movies.

Its why I keep going back to Back to the Future and Ghostbusters. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ted

That one with Seth Mc Farlane and yer man Mark Wahlberg

Actually, the only Mark Wahlberg movie I like is 'The happening' and I only like that because it's so terrible that it's actually hilarious

Intersteller

Boring, implausible scientifically inaccurate and way too drawn out.

2001 a space odyssey
    Yes, i know why I should like it, but it just takes so long. Yes it's beautiful, yes it's original and has many memorable moments and scenes, but if i've never felt the urge to put it on, or watch it if it's on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 dman93

This thread is the edgyiest I have ever seen in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

dman93 wrote: »

What do you mean by that?

I'll second 2001 Space Odyssey, some nice imagery at the beginning and end but found it boring overall.

Also Ferris Buellers day off wasn't great imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

e_e wrote: »
    to the audience who have put up money just to watch a Scorsese film.
    but it costs the exact same to see a brett kelly film, scorsese films dont cost more to go to than any other,

i dont get the Godfather films, i was only on about them recently, ive watched them 4 or 5 times, during me teens and twenties, thinking it would eventually click, and after all the viewing i think their only ok films, i wouldnt say their bad, but i dont get the praise heaped upon them,

i dont get the mad max praise, i didnt notice how much a raging hard on people had for george miller till fury road came out, i went with 3 of my friends to see it, we all stood up at the end and all agreed it was utter sh1t, i feel like i must of had a part of my brain removed or something, cause that film had noting going for it, i didnt like the other 3 either, i just dont get it :confused::confused::confused:

don ramo wrote: »
    scorsese films dont cost more to go to than any other,
    Huh? I didn't say otherwise.

I mean "just to watch a Scorsese film" in the sense that Scorsese's name alone brought a lot of people (myself included) into the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Akrasia wrote: »
    Intersteller

Boring, implausible scientifically inaccurate and way too drawn out.

2001 a space odyssey
    Yes, i know why I should like it, but it just takes so long. Yes it's beautiful, yes it's original and has many memorable moments and scenes, but if i've never felt the urge to put it on, or watch it if it's on tv.

Interstellar and 2001 are anything but boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I would add La Confidential. Really boring over all. Some good scenes but a handful of good scenes does not a good movie make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I, for one reason or another, have seen LA Confidential a few times and enjoyed every viewing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I, for one reason or another, have seen LA Confidential a few times and enjoyed every viewing of it.

Except for that "I wouldn't trade places with Edmund Exley right now for all the whiskey in Ireland!" quote by James Cromwell! :pac:

Looper007 wrote: »
    Interstellar and 2001 are anything but boring.

I literally fell asleep in the middle of it

The first hour of the movie was sooo sooo sooo slooooow and it got worse from there

• Advertisement

Simon2015 wrote: »
    The Godfather is way too long it needs about an hour cut off it.

I wouldn't disagree with you but a couple of years ago I set out to watch all 3 in 3 days (seen parts as a kid) and they were simply amazing.

Another amazing movie that is perhaps TOO long..The deer hunter..that wedding scene was stupidly too long.

The whole point of the opening hour of The Deer Hunter is to root you in the minutia and routines of small town life so that the Vietnam stuff hits all the more like a hammer blow from the screen. It's a perfect example of a film challenging the viewer as a means to an end instead of just racing through and not letting anything stick. I watched Deer Hunter for the first time in the cinema last year and it was the kind of overwhelming, rewarding and attention demanding experience that I want to get from big American movies now.

As for cutting an hour off The Godfather, absurd. You're literally sacrificing the attention to detail, character and pacing that makes the film such an enduring classic. I think as modern audiences we're so used to the "content content content" approach that we can't just savor all of the great stuff that's in our movies (especially formally). We want to just be told something instead of experiencing it for ourselves and allowing the film to envelop you, I think that goes for 2001 A Space Odyssey too.

Have I had films not really grab me at a certain point? Sure. But I don't think the film is to blame as much as my mood and what I expected from movies in general at that time. It's why I think just dismissing a long touted classic as "boring" is really reductive and simplistic. I found I started enjoying and appreciating movies (Godfather included) so much more when I stopped going in with an "I'm here, entertain me!" attitude and just being a lot more open to what a film is doing.

Rant over. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Spot on about The Deer Hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

The new fast and furious (7 maybe?)
    I turned it off 10 minutes in, the acting is a crime.
    Most teenagers worship it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

Taken,in fairness saw in couple months after it came out so it had loads of hype already but didnt enjoy it whatsoever

The hangover/Bridesmaids same films really poor enough imo just stupid humour

• Advertisement

Ted,I despise Mark Wahlburg shocking attempt on the accent and just not that funny other than 2/3 moments

Ted,I despise Mark Wahlburg shocking attempt on the accent and just not that funny other than 2/3 moments

What accent? The Boston accent?? Mark Wahlberg is from Boston!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I didn't like Calvary because the dick banker Dylan Moran is forgiven but
    the nice and jovial priest who did no wrong in the film gets shot in the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anchorman
    The hangover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

dman93 wrote: »

Well, you're probably not going to have people dump on Citizen Kane, complain that Tokyo Story need more camera moves and say Hitchcock is overrated. Blockbusters get seen by large audiences and taste is subjective so you're bound to have people who don't like Star Wars, LotR etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement