Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies Everybody Seems To Love ........ But You Hate!?!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

MadDog76 wrote: »
    What accent? The Boston accent?? Mark Wahlberg is from Boston!!! :D

Yes, but a bit like that plonker John Bishop, a certain amount of exaggeration comes into play, rendering the "acting" involved completely unconvincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

shazzerman wrote: »
    Yes, but a bit like that plonker John Bishop, a certain amount of exaggeration comes into play, rendering the "acting" involved completely unconvincing.

*shrugs* I liked Ted ....... and I like Mark Wahlberg ......... and I liked Mark Wahlberg's accent in Ted ......... and I think John Bishop is ok too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Interstellar. Pure pretentious waffle.

*shrugs* I liked Ted ....... and I like Mark Wahlberg ......... and I liked Mark Wahlberg's accent in Ted ......... and I think John Bishop is ok too. :)

I have to apologise here. I thought the original comments were in reference to The Departed (where ALL Boston accents are exaggeratingly awful). I can't remember what Wahlberg sounded like in Ted - nor will I be returning to that film to find out. Regarding John Bishop: I can only quote one of my favourite robotic characters in response - "You have my sympathies".

I have to apologise here. I thought the original comments were in reference to The Departed (where ALL Boston accents are exaggeratingly awful). I can't remember what Wahlberg sounded like in Ted - nor will I be returning to that film to find out. Regarding John Bishop: I can only quote one of my favourite robotic characters in response - "You have my sympathies".

To quote one of my favourite movie characters, "f**k you, you cock-a-roach!!!" ;)

To quote one of my favourite movie characters, "f**k you, you cock-a-roach!!!" ;)

There you go. See, you need bad guys like me. So you can point your f**kin' finger, and say, "There goes the bad guy". :P

There you go. See, you need bad guys like me. So you can point your f**kin' finger, and say, "There goes the bad guy". :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Once Upon a Time in America, I saw it recently and there's not one character I liked. They kind of reminded me of the obnoxious/crass types you see in pub, all in a group, self satisfied, clapping each other on the back, but with not much room for reflection, higher thought or anything beyond the most mainstream and pedestrian aspects of life. Also many of the characters were just too scummy to like, I guess the film highlighted well that despite the perhaps more morally overt aspect of pre 60s culture, in this case the 1920s, scummy, repugnant behaviour was rife. For me though, a film depends on its characters and I disliked/was indifferent to all of them.

Jack Reacher: Utterly boring, action film, totally beholden to mundanity, bereft of imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Lost in Translation. Love Bill Murray but absolutely hated that movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Once. Saw this piece of crap when it first came out & couldn't believe the amount of excitement over it. It's essentially a vanity project for Hansard, who is positively insufferable throughout the film. Yet everyone I know adores it, don't understand at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm a teenager so everyone around me usually likes terrible action flicks involving superheroes, which I hate! I found Captain America 2
    to be one of the worst movies I've ever witnessed while everyone thought it was amazing!

Found Gravity to be tremendously boring as well. Still can't get my head around the fact that it won a handful of Oscars while Interstellar got one. Interstellar had everything Gravity had, and more. Gravity was all about a girl screaming wanting to go home all the time, really don't get the hype with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Intermission- so bad I left the cinema (yes the movie Intermission)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

The Wild Bunch: Maybe it's because I grew up int he 80's and watched the A-Team, but I find the action in this film to be laughable. All slow motion and obvious stunt falls just reminds me of Hannibal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The Bourne movies never did anything for me. I just didn't like the character as portrayed and the way a lot of the action was shot made me feel a bit seasick more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

The Shawshank Redemption. Cheesy and predictable. Every prison movie cliche rolled up into one film, it's all been done before and it's all been done better. The movie equivalent of listening to a wedding band.

Also started the whole "Morgan Freeman patronising the audience by explaining everything that's happening in the movie thing", which he's been doing ever since.

So right in so many ways.

I did not care for THE Godfather!!! It insists upon itself!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Shawshank Redemption. Cheesy and predictable. Every prison movie cliche rolled up into one film, it's all been done before and it's all been done better. The movie equivalent of listening to a wedding band.

Also started the whole "Morgan Freeman patronising the audience by explaining everything that's happening in the movie thing", which he's been doing ever since.
    Shawshank is like the movie equivalent to mashed potato. It's bland and mushy but goes down easily and is just comfort food to so many.

Great discussion of it here, especially about how and why it found its cult following: https://soundcloud.com/the-canon-podcast/12-the-shawshank-redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mickrichards

I saw The Wild Bunch in London in 1969,and after John Wayne,Alan Ladd and Roy Rogers films, it was so completely new
    in the way it approached violence and friendship,i thought ,and still do that it was a real landmark in filmmaking.I feel the same about Bonnie and Clyde,which i saw again when it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Kunkka wrote: »
    Lost in Translation. Love Bill Murray but absolutely hated that movie
    funny id be the opposite, i dont really like Bill Murray but loved Lost in Translation,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

Cool Runnings..probably because it was on tv every bloody second week growing up. I love John Candy but that film just grinds my gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I really hated Bound when I saw it, even though it's the film that put the Wachowski Brothers (as they were then) on the map and enabled them to make The Matrix. That was 20 years ago, no idea whether I would hate it if I saw it again today, but it's not going to get any of my time.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Advertisement