Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the most profitable courses to do, work wise??

• 27-08-2015 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

So, it's common knowledge that IT is a thriving industry at the moment.

I looked into it, and really, I'm not sure it's for me.

I spoke with a careers consultant a little while ago, and she was recommending also, pharmaceuticals, or something...

I know springboardcourses are offering courses in area's that are hiring currently.

Basically, I'm looking to do a post graduate.

What area's would be best to look into with respect to employment potential thereafter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

What area's would be best to look into with respect to employment potential thereafter?
    What are you studying at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

djpbarry wrote: »
    What are you studying at the moment?

Actually my user name is a bit misleading.

I'm actually graduated.

I have done Civil Engineering.

I was looking at post grad courses, there was a masters of civil engineering, specializing in renewables and waste water management etc.

But I'm not sure, work wise, how advantageous it would be to do that.
    I really want to do a course where I have a secure future thereafter, in terms of employability.

It's common knowledge almost that, ICT and software development is a thriving area with loads of work, especially in europe, but to be honest, I'm not sure it's for me.

I've done some online courses and, yeah - kind of intense work - and I was only scratching the surface.
    I'm kind of intimidated by the thought of being presented with a application model and being asked to code it.

The other area that seemed prevalent was pharmaceuticals, but I really don't know the first thing about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Seriously, the best job and most profitable is the one you will enjoy doing, the one where you will read about advances in your spare time, as you enjoy it. If your working a job as it pays loads of money and you don't like it and don't want to keep your skills up to date you won't be good at it and it will affect your normal life.

So your first thought what would you LIKE to do, what would be interesting for you - as that first question should lead you to companies and/or courses in that area..

Actually my user name is a bit misleading.

I'm actually graduated.

I have done Civil Engineering.
    Ok, so are you working at the moment? Because civil engineering seems like a pretty solid career choice to me?

Ok, so are you working at the moment? Because civil engineering seems like a pretty solid career choice to me?

Not at the moment.
    I've actually been graduated for a while and worked for a couple years but I didn't like having to up sticks and move whenever a new job site cropped up, so I'm hoping to get into an area that provides more stability.

TBH, I just want a reliable job that can cover my expenses, cause I have outside interests that are more of a priority for me.

I thought computer science would be a good area because there's so much work going in it.

Then I see on springboardcourses that there's a masters in civil engineering in renewables and energy efficiency.
    If something like that can land me a position in a consultants office where I wouldn't have to move countries to get employment, that would be okay too.

• Advertisement

TBH, I just want a reliable job that can cover my expenses, cause I have outside interests that are more of a priority for me.
    As is the case for many people!

To be honest, it's difficult to provide meaningful advice without some indication of what it is you actually want to do? Apart from the "instability", do you enjoy civil engineering, or even just certain aspects of it? I mean, you've said you're not really interested in computer science, but haven't really provided any indication of what you are interested in?

As is the case for many people!

To be honest, it's difficult to provide meaningful advice without some indication of what it is you actually want to do? Apart from the "instability", do you enjoy civil engineering, or even just certain aspects of it? I mean, you've said you're not really interested in computer science, but haven't really provided any indication of what you are interested in?

Well in terms of engineering, I did my thesis on waste water treatment, which interested me I suppose because I felt at the time it was gonna be a prevalent issue in the future of this and/or many other countries.

So that interests me I guess.

But again, such a large part of my life is dedicated to pursuing outside interests, and I don't want work to clash with that so, pursuing a career path that allows for more part time work, would definitely interest me.

That''s what I mentioned something like pharmacy.

Working behind a counter 3 or 4 out of seven days, handing out prescriptions...
    And lets face it.
    There's no shortage of pharmacies.
    There's gotta be one on almost every street corner in Ireland.

Perhaps you guys would have some insights on that area?
    Potentially what post grad courses are available if one wishes to get into something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 newtown13

Hi Under_graduate,

I recently got my degree in pharmacy and wish i had done engineering, particularly civil engineering! so somewhat of a role reversal from you.

There is plenty of work in pharmacy especially when working on short term contract or as locum. I havnt fully qualified as a pharmacist yet so i havnt the greatest insight into wages and it seems a closely guarded secret! salaries for newly qualified pharmacists working full time range from low to high 40k. Naturally, this rises with experience. As a locum working regularly in a place, one should be earning in the mid twenties per hour. For less regular work in 30 bean+ per hour.
    I doubt there are any short-cuts around doing the 5 year integrated degree program to become a pharmacist.
    On a day-to-day basis, the job seems quite mundane to me...printing prescriptions, counting tablets etc. Very little to challenge you and make it seem worthwhile. I have heard this opinion repeated by others in the industry on countless occasions..by peers, experienced pharmacists.
    In my opinion, you seem a little misguided as to where your future career lies...find a job that interests you rather than one that is simply convenient.
    So why do not want to proceed with a career in civil engineering? What are the job prospects like in this area?

newtown13 wrote: »
    On a day-to-day basis, the job seems quite mundane to me...printing prescriptions, counting tablets etc. Very little to challenge you and make it seem worthwhile. I have heard this opinion repeated by others in the industry on countless occasions..by peers, experienced pharmacists.
    Also very few prospects for career progression I imagine.

Advertisement