Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad race, cheer me up

Options
  • 27-08-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Ok so this year I knocked 10 minutes of my previous sprint time (due to first time ever doing regular training, and purchasing a turbo trainer).

I did a second race in the season and honestly thought I would go below 1:20 but ended up being 2 minutes slower!

Despite being in good shape (altho perhaps asthma slightly acting up), the swim felt heavy (was hoping for a sub 13min swim, took 15 minutes) and plateaued after that.

Dammit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

JohnBee wrote: »
    Ok so this year I knocked 10 minutes of my previous sprint time (due to first time ever doing regular training, and purchasing a turbo trainer).

I did a second race in the season and honestly thought I would go below 1:20 but ended up being 2 minutes slower!

Despite being in good shape (altho perhaps asthma slightly acting up), the swim felt heavy (was hoping for a sub 13min swim, took 15 minutes) and plateaued after that.

Dammit.

It's hard to compare all sprints as the course can differ a lot, length, conditions and course all play a factor.

Just because you were slower doesn't mean you did better or worse if that helps?

First sprint of the year for me a shorter bike course at about 18km, This week will be 23. First Olympic this year was 38km bike course DCT was over 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Dammit.

Form can be a whoer at times.

I get bouts of the oul asthma/ hay fever (August always) too and for sure that's a whoer too!

Stick at it and it'll come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Dammit.

Try get out and race a bit more for next season. Putting all your eggs into 2 baskets isnt leaving much for an off day, bad weather, poor start etc etc. Even if your swim didnt go the way you wanted try have back up goals for the race like a pb in the bike or run.

Anyway season isnt over yet, get back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Swim lengths vary a good bit, race organisers do try hard though.

They use GPS to drop buoy's anchor. But then tide or wind pull buoy chain and rope across which makes course short or longer.

No taper? might go into race tired.

As rooneyjim says get back out there.

I just had a sprint PB and felt like run was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Thanks for all the boosters!

To be clear that I am not excusing myself, I did a short taper, did feel on form, and swim was accurate (by my GPS anyway).

I'm still gonna aim for 1:15 next season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

No need to be upset, its all matter of time.Better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

No need to be upset, its all matter of time.Better luck next time.

Yes, it IS all a matter of time, that was my problem lol!

Advertisement