Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threats from subordinate/reportee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

vinci123 wrote: »
    Yes

Yes its mostly Irish and some EU.Am only non Irish . not a small company but they have very little Non EU crowd.

By ignoring means i was ignoring any gossips and any smoking gangs and discussions they were upto. I was managing a separate project for the last 1-2 months so there wasnt much iteraction. If the onus to talk was only one sided...
    for any common meeting I always used to ask the guys if they are going and so we could go together and there is some interaction.. but it never came from other side and they would simply walk off... thats one of the examples..

was too busy in my project in last couple of months that I ws ignoring such stupid things.

So in what way are you managing these people?
    From the sounds of things you only involve yourself in what they're working on when it overlaps with your own projects?

Being a project manager and a people manager are two different things.
    Going a few months with little interaction between you and guys you're supposed to be managing would be a massive warning sign to me if I was your superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sac2020

Stheno wrote: »
    See the edited post I've quoted above, there's a fair few issues that you've called out there, from you ignoring stuff, not managing your team, and being told there are issues with your interpersonal skills. If you get let go, I'd not be expecting a reference.

Is everyone else on the team Irish and all male/female, or is it a mix of nationalities? Are you any chance from Asia?

as in my other thread.. about discrimination..But any reason why you particularly mentioned Asia? do you know about such cases happening mostly to asians or have u seen anything yourself . would be interested to know some stories.
    i know many of the non eu ( atleast most I know from my office ) are not on boards, so I wont get to know the stories from this side..
    But would be interested to know how difficult it is for a non Eu to work here.

(((Challenges and how to overcome them- to say in better words)))

OP_ i have gone thru some of your posts and I think i can relate to it. Hope it turns out good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm inclined to agree with Stheno here. You noted that the guys were being uncooperative, unproductive and insubordinate, and your response was to kind of ignore them and leave them to their own devices.

Your manager then flags the fact that your team is underperforming and your response is to blame it on someone else below you. As a manager, if your team is underperforming, then you are underperforming and it's your fault. In a professional organisation, a manager placing the blame on his own staff should raise major red flags around his ability to take responsibility and correct problems.

If you were hired on the basis of your managerial experience, then you can either grab this one by the balls and start taking proper action against these guys (including disciplinary action), or you can start looking for a new job. Take the blame, the responsibility for your team's shortcomings - and by implication your shortcomings - and come up with a plan of how you're going to fix those shortcomings.

If you were hired on a technical basis and told that the company would assist you in the people management bit, then push it back to them. Tell your Senior Manager that you need some help, you need a coach that you can sit down with as often as necessary to work through the managerial side of your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vinci123

guys- if I resign at this stage how will it be different than termination? do we get any social payments . I seriously am thinking of resigning as I personally dont want to work in this env

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

do we get any social payments
    Look at SWA, but not sure. I think It comes down to how long you have worked in the EU for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even if you are eligible, there's a 9-week wait for welfare if you have resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

guys- if I resign at this stage how will it be different than termination? do we get any social payments . I seriously am thinking of resigning as I personally dont want to work in this env

Talk to HR, tell them you need to discipline these guys and what options are open to you and if there is any assitance for you as your unsure of Irish labour laws and you don't want to put the company in a position where it could end up with legal action or the labour court.
    Quit and the guys not helping you win. Not good when your looking for a reference for your new job.

Advertisement