Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPH(Post Partum Haemorrhage)- Second time around

Options
  • 27-08-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if there are any ladies here who had haemorrhages post partum who went on to have normal healthy placenta deliveries second time around?
    I'm not looking for medical advice, just curious.

I had a very traumatic after birth and I know my risk is higher as it happened before but Would just love to hear of any of your experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi Java, I had a pph in my room a couple of hours after delivery last time. Fairly frightening. I remember you talking about your experience and I don't think mine was as severe though. I brought it up with my midwife and consultant during the pregnancy this time and I was reassured that they would treat me pre-emptively. I was put on some sort of drip for 24 hours and given some sort of suppository after delivery to prevent it from happening. I was warned that there was a chance it could still occur but it would be unusual with whatever they gave me. I did bleed a good bit initially but I reckon that's just my body. It was nothing compared to last time and no one thought it was out of the ordinary. When are you due? I'd discuss it with your hospital as soon as I could if I were you. Might help you worry less if you knew they had a plan of action in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Roesy wrote: »
    Hi Java, I had a pph in my room a couple of hours after delivery last time. Fairly frightening. I remember you talking about your experience and I don't think mine was as severe though. I brought it up with my midwife and consultant during the pregnancy this time and I was reassured that they would treat me pre-emptively. I was put on some sort of drip for 24 hours and given some sort of suppository after delivery to prevent it from happening. I was warned that there was a chance it could still occur but it would be unusual with whatever they gave me. I did bleed a good bit initially but I reckon that's just my body. It was nothing compared to last time and no one thought it was out of the ordinary. When are you due? I'd discuss it with your hospital as soon as I could if I were you. Might help you worry less if you knew they had a plan of action in place.

thanks roesy,
    I'm not due till April but I'm already losing sleep thinking of it! I had a retained placenta and ruptured cord so I'm just all of this contributed to it but I'm not getting a straight answer from anyone because my case was reported to Hiqa..

It does sounds reassuring that they have measures against it...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

javagal wrote: »
    thanks roesy,
    I'm not due till April but I'm already losing sleep thinking of it! I had a retained placenta and ruptured cord so I'm just all of this contributed to it but I'm not getting a straight answer from anyone because my case was reported to Hiqa..

It does sounds reassuring that they have measures against it...

I had a pph a week after the birth(retained "tissue"), and a D&C as a result.Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?I was home, but had to go back in for a week.Tbh, never even occurred to me that it might affect no.2., I figured it's just something that can happen.
    Mind you, my aunt (who is a GP) told me she had a pph after her first and she went on to have five more with no bother so that may be why I think that.
    I'm due in March, and well...let's face it there's not much I can do about it now, other than keep telling them what happened last time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

sf12389 wrote: »
    I had a pph a week after the birth(retained "tissue"), and a D&C as a result.Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?I was home, but had to go back in for a week.Tbh, never even occurred to me that it might affect no.2., I figured it's just something that can happen.
    Mind you, my aunt (who is a GP) told me she had a pph after her first and she went on to have five more with no bother so that may be why I think that.
    I'm due in March, and well...let's face it there's not much I can do about it now, other than keep telling them what happened last time round.

hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My pph happened more or less right after my baby was born, the cord snapped and the placenta got stuck also, making Me lose even more blood, I ended up with 5 transfusions in icu so just curious to see statistics on second labours.
    As you say, not a whole lot I can do either! Just want to put my mind at ease!

Advertisement