Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion

Options
  • 27-08-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if asked before but I was wondering if someone could give me a rough estimate for converting the attic of my house.

It is a approx 2k square foot 4 bed detached house. ICF construction.

There were a number of houses in the estate built as 5 beds and some as 4, so the attic as is has chipboard flooring and ready for conversion.

I would be looking at extending the existing staircase (red deal with oak handrail and newel) for access with a new dormer window to the side for headroom and an additional dormer to the front. I would also like 2 velux windows to the rear.

I am considering a large master bedroom, bathroom and walk in wardrobe for the floor.

I realise I would require planning but I don't see any issues in that regard as it would bring the house in line with others in the estate.

The house also has a heatlink underfloor heating system. What are my options for heating the new floor? Am I stuck with electric heaters?

Can anyone provide a guideline estimate for this please?

Here is an example of one of the 5 bed houses.
    360300.jpg

Inside attic: 360285.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not clear if the current 4 bedroom design is built to comply with the fire regs if you go to a 3 storey
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

Whats the headroom like?
    Will it meet regs for habitable space?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

As regards the alarm and mains operated fire alarm yes I think so but other regulations I am not familiar with.

Would the fact that there are concrete floors upstairs help?

Headroom is good I would say approx a little over 8 feet at the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ive priced a few like these lately. 22k excluding fees is the average price. In every single one, all the doors had to be replaced that lead onto the hallways as fire doors. I don't know if that's regulation or what but that's what had to be done in all cases.

Thanks, so all bedroom doors on the existing first floor need to be changed to fire doors?

Or only on the converted floor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

The issue with the 1st floor doors is the 30min rating - as I understand it, this can be achieved by rebating a fire seal into the side of the doors, in most cases giving 30mins.

Getting a stairs to work, and room ceiling height v ventilation + escape window to be habitable are the main items. Strength ting to 2nd floor & roof timbers is often required as well.

• Advertisement

I believe the stairs can work, as the addition of the dormer window to the side gives the required height.

Here are the original plans for the 5 bed houses:

First floor:
    360310.gif

Second floor:
    360309.gif

The original access was via spiral stairs which is obviously not present in my house at the moment, I just have a standard attic access hatch.
    I would rather continue the existing stairs as I think it would provide a better layout and better access.

the spiral staircase is where it is because of the half hip on the left as u look at the house, this is also why they went with spiral.
    My guess is the ceiling joist are deep enough and that the main bathroom sewer pipe can be picked up from the attic, take a pic on that side of an exiting 5 roomer

The layout of the room doors on first floor will make a conventional stairs tricky: have u seen any converted 5 roomer ones as opposed to bought as 5 roomers

The layout of the room doors on first floor will make a conventional stairs tricky: have u seen any converted 5 roomer ones as opposed to bought as 5 roomers

The stairs is actually reversed in reality versus these plans, so you reach the first floor towards the back side instead of the front if you understand. Also the stairs has more distance from the bedroom doors than the plans show.

I have not as yet seen a converted house myself.

PaulKK wrote: »

I have not as yet seen a converted house myself.

Get an IW hi viz jacket and go knock on a few, collecting arrears:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

You don't need planning to convert the attic but you may need planning for addional windows, roof lights etc. 2.4 metre headroom height needed for bedroom for a minimum of half the width of the floor, e.g. floor is 5 metres wide then must have minimum headroom height for 2.5 metres at ceiling level. Complying with building regs will be the main task.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Angry bird wrote: »
    You don't need planning to convert the attic but you may need planning for addional windows, roof lights etc. 2.4 metre headroom height needed for bedroom for a minimum of half the width of the floor, e.g. floor is 5 metres wide then must have minimum headroom height for 2.5 metres at ceiling level. Complying with building regs will be the main task.

Roof lights to rear will be exempt as you say.
    The room height calculation is a suggested height and is calculated from Technical Guidance Document Part F.

It's the area at 2.4m (Area B) / the area at 1.5m (Area A) and it has to be at least 50% of it.

Area B = not less than Area A /2

It's also worth noting that this is a suggested room height so sometimes lower ceiling heights can work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

kceire wrote: »
    Roof lights to rear will be exempt as you say.
    The room height calculation is a suggested height and is calculated from Technical Guidance Document Part F.

It's the area at 2.4m (Area A) / the area at 1.5m (Area B) and it has to be at least 50% of it.

Area B = not less than Area A /2

It's also worth noting that this is a suggested room height so sometimes lower ceiling heights can work too.

Didn't know that. It crops up regularly in stuff I'm dealing with from the planning end. Thanks.

Have we got our alphabet the wrong way around here
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf
    Is Area A not the bit at 1.5m ...

Kc, if I am right, then u edit ur post I will delete this

Have we got our alphabet the wrong way around here
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf
    Is Area A not the bit at 1.5m ...

Kc, if I am right, then u edit ur post I will delete this

Your 100% correct. Haven't mastered this iPad tabs yet :)

Just curious if the new regs in effect from the first of the month will have any effect on the cost of this?

Also is it possible to for example apply for planning and just complete the windows and stairs for access to storage space for now, then in a few years time put up partitions and complete the wiring and plastering?

Any thoughts on the heating issue, the existing underfloor system I'd imagine will not be suitable to extend from? As far as I am aware mixing underfloor and radiators is not recommended anyway?

PaulKK wrote: »
    Just curious if the new regs in effect from the first of the month will have any effect on the cost of this?

Also is it possible to for example apply for planning and just complete the windows and stairs for access to storage space for now, then in a few years time put up partitions and complete the wiring and plastering?

Any thoughts on the heating issue, the existing underfloor system I'd imagine will not be suitable to extend from? As far as I am aware mixing underfloor and radiators is not recommended anyway?

Attic conversion was never counted toward your 40 Sq. m here in Dublin so you would never had needed an Assigned Certifier anyway.

PKK, this job not all done and dusted :)
    Re the heating
    so u have ufh through out which I presume is done via TMV to drop the temp from boiler
    so could u tap into the hot water circuit or hit the UFH circuit before the TMV
    If u do the insulation and AT well up there, with all the livin' and luvin' in the boudoir no heat required:)

Advertisement