Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives in UCD?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone, first year science student in UCD here.

Just had a question about electives: I have the option to choose two electives outside of my degree area and was wondering if anyone could advise me. I love french, and have a good grasp of the language, so I was thinking of choosing both in French. However I've heard of many people choosing an easy elective as it boosts your GPA. Any thoughts on this? I would love to continue my studies in French and gain a high competency in the language but I would also like a high GPA..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

smellyandy wrote: »

Just had a question about electives: I have the option to choose two electives outside of my degree area and was wondering if anyone could advise me. I love french, and have a good grasp of the language, so I was thinking of choosing both in French. However I've heard of many people choosing an easy elective as it boosts your GPA. Any thoughts on this? I would love to continue my studies in French and gain a high competency in the language but I would also like a high GPA..

Take the language then. In science I believe that most of their degrees take the GPA from the last 2 years (of 4), weighing it at a 70/30 ratio in many cases. This can vary, but 1st year does not usually go to the final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

smellyandy wrote: »

I am currently studying science in UCD too :-) As Maldesu mentioned, your GPA in first and second year does not count towards your degree at all (during the 4 year programme). Last year, I chose electives outside of science and I'd strongly recommend it- it just gives you a taste for other subjects and I greatly enjoyed it! What area in science are you hoping to do?

Advertisement