Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being singled out and victimised in Rugby Forum.

Options
  • 28-08-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was banned for a week a few weeks ago by mentioning a topic that i didn't know was off limits and then questioning the mod about why it was off limits, i can agree with this ban as i should have PM'd the mod and not questioned them on the thread.

Then on the 6th of August after i returned from the ban i received two infractions in the space of an hour from Awec, the first one was because i pointed out some posters bias against a certain rugby player and i included proof by including their previous posts, i didn't think this deserved an automatic infraction or even a warning, before i could even dispute this i received another infraction from Awec for replying to the poster by saying "whatever helps you sleep at night" this was a smart ass comment so maybe i deserved a warning but definitely not another infraction.

I contacted Awec and he said i was trying to start an argument which i wasn't and that he'd be looking out for me which felt like a threat.

Fast forward to today and i alluded to some posters provincial bias which in my eyes clearly and naturally exists and i probably shouldn't have but once again instead of a warning i received an immediate infraction from Zzippy which has now led to me receiving a two week ban.

I Contacted Zzippy and he said if someone receives three red cards in a year they get a two week ban.
    Now i completely agree with this policy once the three infractions are fair and balanced but in my case i think it's fairly obvious that mine have been handed out far to quickly.

To me it feels like the rugby forum is being run by a certain few mods and their friends who often post a lot worse than i ever have and all that happens to them is their post is deleted or it's highlighted in bold italics with a meaningless warning attached.

I've seen it happen to other posters besides me and it's once you go against their views and opinions you get attacked by a group followed by an infraction.

This type of cronyism and favouritism will eventually ruin boards and what it's all about and that is fair and evenly balanced discussions.

It's forced censorship and a blatant abuse of moderator power.
    People who are infracted and banned don't bother coming back and posting their views anymore for fear of being picked on and bullied again and eventually thrown off which leads to just the mods and their chosen buddies to keep forcing their views and opinions on us with no other side of the story being represented.

I'd appreciate it if you could look into this when you get a chance please.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could you please confirm which card(s) you are disputing, and whether you have discussed it(them) with the relevant mod(s) and failed to reach agreement in connection with the issue giving rise to the relevant card(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi,

I'll try my best to link to the actual posts because it's awkward as you can imagine have to sign out copy and paste and go back and forth,
    Ok this is the first one https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057471859/22/#post96510825.

This is the second one
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057471859/24

The third one is where i stated the proof that people had abias against Ryan and cleared up that i wasn't trying to be a dick
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057471859/25

And the most recent one is here,
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057369129/494/#post96772216
    And might i add that while searching for these posts i came across a lot of other posts pointing out provincial bias and they didn't get as much as a yellow.

Thanks again for looking into this for me.

And sorry i failed to mention, yes i did contact both mods involved immediately after each infraction but to no avail.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear - are you disputing all 3 red cards? If so it will clearly involve quite a bit of research on my part, possibly requiring a review of pretty much your full history in the forum

Yes all three please, it probably won't take as long as you'd imagine because i don't post that frequently, that's half my problem as it feels like every time i do post I'm being cautioned or worse for saying something that everyone else can say without hesitation.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hello,

I was banned for a week a few weeks ago by mentioning a topic that i didn't know was off limits and then questioning the mod about why it was off limits, i can agree with this ban as i should have PM'd the mod and not questioned them on the thread.
    I would just add that there were at least 2 prior occasions when mods had to intervene. The first was when you attempted to sell something in the forum. Subsequently you requested a stream for a match. In each of those cases the mods could have acted against you but chose to simply edit out the posts in breach of forum and/or site rules. I think your claims of "victimisation" do not stand up as there have been plenty of occasions, including the above when the mods could have acted but chose not to.

Finally the mods did issue an in-thread warning you challenged the mod instruction in-thread, and based on the above you appear to accept the mod acted reasonably in that case. We then more forward:
    Then on the 6th of August after i returned from the ban i received two infractions in the space of an hour from Awec, the first one was because i pointed out some posters bias against a certain rugby player and i included proof by including their previous posts, i didn't think this deserved an automatic infraction or even a warning,
    You "pointed out some other posters bias against a certain rugby player". There is certainly some irony here as when reviewing your own posts it is quite clear that you are happy to praise players from one particular province while taking every opportunity to criticise players from other provinces. You do this particularly in international threads where I would expect a better standard of posting without excessive provincial bias. If you have a problem with a post you should report it, and not point out whatever your problem may be in-thread.
    before i could even dispute this i received another infraction from Awec for replying to the poster by saying "whatever helps you sleep at night" this was a smart ass comment so maybe i deserved a warning but definitely not another infraction.
    You comment to another poster was "whatever makes you sleep at night mate" - a clear case of attacking the poster and not the post.
    Fast forward to today and i alluded to some posters provincial bias which in my eyes clearly and naturally exists and i probably shouldn't have but once again instead of a warning i received an immediate infraction from Zzippy which has now led to me receiving a two week ban.
    The mod note accompanying this card was "Enough of this provincial BS"

You were again posting in an international thread (Ireland Team talk)
    If you take a look back at previous posts of these "so many people" and where their club allegiances ly then you'll realise why they're saying he's on the plane, they're trying to convince themselves as well as everyone else.
    Must be nice to live in fantasy land.
    Exactly the same problem as gave rise to your previous card. Attacking the posters, as well as highlighting your own personal bias that you seem to want to ram down the throats of other regulars in the forum.
    I Contacted Zzippy and he said if someone receives three red cards in a year they get a two week ban.
    Now i completely agree with this policy once the three infractions are fair and balanced but in my case i think it's fairly obvious that mine have been handed out far to quickly.
    That is certainly the rule as set out in the forum charter. I would add though that you received 3 reds plus a one week ban before the current 2 week ban was applied, and arguably it could have been imposed after your original ban and 2 red cards.
    To me it feels like the rugby forum is being run by a certain few mods and their friends who often post a lot worse than i ever have and all that happens to them is their post is deleted or it's highlighted in bold italics with a meaningless warning attached.

I've seen it happen to other posters besides me and it's once you go against their views and opinions you get attacked by a group followed by an infraction.

This type of cronyism and favouritism will eventually ruin boards and what it's all about and that is fair and evenly balanced discussions.

It's forced censorship and a blatant abuse of moderator power.
    People who are infracted and banned don't bother coming back and posting their views anymore for fear of being picked on and bullied again and eventually thrown off which leads to just the mods and their chosen buddies to keep forcing their views and opinions on us with no other side of the story being represented.
    If you have an issue with the wider moderation of the forum, please take it to the Help Desk, or discuss it with one of the CMods via PM. This forum is for appealing your specific cards and/or bans and I am not going to comment further on those allegations here.

Coming back to the point in question. Looking at each of those cards I entirely agree mod action was appropriate. I could see reason for mods to apply perhaps a yellow in as opposed to a red if there had been a single breach of forum rules in isolation. However looking at the overall content and tone of your posting in the forum, which seems largely driven by provincial bias, and combined with the various infringements already set out above, I am seeing no reason to overturn any of the reds and the resultant ban stands.

I would suggest you take a bit of time while you have no access to the forum to consider your posting style, as if you posting continues as it has to date you will continue to fall foul of the rules and will in all likelihood lose access permanently.

Advertisement