Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed about flatmate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

karenalot wrote: »
    Wish people would stop saying "get rid of the dog" like its the same thing as the sofa.

OP there are plenty of animal rescues in Cork that may be able to help you get a temporary foster place for your dog till you sort yourself out. PM me if you need names.

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 21 acidbotti

karenalot wrote: »
    Wish people would stop saying "get rid of the dog" like its the same thing as the sofa.

OP there are plenty of animal rescues in Cork that may be able to help you get a temporary foster place for your dog till you sort yourself out. PM me if you need names.

Okay thanks going to message you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Don't forget the relationship with your Girlfriend. Move out asap OP

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget the relationship with your Girlfriend. Move out asap OP

This whole situation is a mess. We're moving in together but the plan was to do so at the end of next month. She went back to Spain yesterday morning to sort out work things so she's gone for 2 weeks! Just gotta find somewhere. Anywhere. Soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could a family member or gf look after the dog? in the short term until you have found somewhere that is dog friendly? or even if you cant, until you do in the longer term?

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could a family member or gf look after the dog? in the short term until you have found somewhere that is dog friendly? or even if you cant, until you do in the longer term?

I'm working here in Cork but from Naas, so no unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just an aside comment;Do not inform him in any way shape or form that you will shop him to the Gardai or landlord. Not even in an attempt to bargain your way into a perceivedly better situation. You don't know who he knows.

Just get yourself & your dog safely away from him. Then shop him to both Gardai & landlord anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

In fairness, renting and pet ownership are not compatible. Surrendering the dog is probably the OPs only real option if he wants to find somewhere else given how tight the rental market is.

It may sound harsh, but it is the most pragmatic.

It might be more difficult but's not impossible. I'm renting a house and my dog is here with me, and my flatmate has a dog and a cat here too. My work colleague is doing it with 2 cats, 1 dog and a spider:-). I could give you a pretty long list of people renting with animals because I'm a vet nurse and most of my former college friends are both renters and pet owners.

It might be more difficult but's not impossible. I'm renting a house and my dog is here with me, and my flatmate has a dog and a cat here too. My work colleague is doing it with 2 cats, 1 dog and a spider:-). I could give you a pretty long list of people renting with animals because I'm a vet nurse and most of my former college friends are both renters and pet owners.

Its getting much harder now though as LL's can pick who they want and they rightly don't want people with pets as why would you when you can have someone without them.

Nowadays anyone would be advised not to get a pet or get rid of it if they are going to start renting or are looking for a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

My wife and myself are renting with our dog for the last four and a half years (brought the dog with us from abroad). In fact we just found a place again this week to move. Its incredibly hard with a dog but doable, just limits your options. A lot depends on the type of dog and type of person you are as well. Once landlords meet you, see previous references, know that the dog is non destructive then they are reassured and many consent. Apartments less so but some do. My advice would be not to get a pet until you are settled or own a house as it can limit your options and tie you down a lot but if you already have a dog like the OP then its really annoying hearing people here say give up the dog. They are part of your family, not an accessory / toy.

@OP - Is leaving the dog in Naas for a while not an option?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

professore wrote: »
    While you are legally correct, practically you are setting yourself up for a world of problems if you do this. Cork is a small city - do you want to go everywhere looking over your shoulder from here on? If he's a native he's probably got lots of brothers / "friends" only too happy to beat the crap out of you.

This is bad advice. If you actually have a case with the Gardai, then by all means pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It's different for long term renters, especially those who took out a lease during the recession - landlords were desperate for tenants.

There are three options for people with pets at the moment: they can give them up, they can keep them but realise their search will be an order of magnitude longer or they can move to a place with low demand for rental housing.

August, September and October are the worst three months to be looking for a place, especially so in the tight market that exists at the moment. The only practical advice to someone who is in a hurry to find somewhere else in Dublin, Cork or Galway at the moment is to give up the pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

OP try contacting Bowe properties in Ballincollig as the owner (Brendan I think) is a dog lover. You'd see his dog Baxter in any newspaper article I read about the company.

Also try a FB page called "People in Cork with Dogs" I've seen people ask for help on there and others have pointed them towards Landlords that allow pets.

One final thing :o - I've a friend with a staffordshire terrier and she was able to rent. She viewed as many houses as possible and talked to the landlords so they would get a sense of her - then at the end of the conversation she'd say something like "I don't want to mess you around, I really like the house and want to take it but I have a dog - I've references from previous LLs mentioning the dog and she has never been in any trouble"

It's worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It's different for long term renters, especially those who took out a lease during the recession - landlords were desperate for tenants.

I moved in there last October so hardly a long term renter. And since I'm not that long out of college the people I mentioned as renting with pets weren't dealing with desperate landlords either.

Wright wrote: »

There is NO basis for him 'giving up the pet'. Just get a place, sign the lease, set up a direct debit, say arivaderci to the landlord, move the pet in. Simple.

And get evicted shortly after for breaking the terms of the lease.

If I were a LL and someone moved in a pet without my consent the tenant would be out the door sharpish and be given a bad reference or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Wright wrote: »
    Where did she say she moved in during the recession?

There is NO basis for him 'giving up the pet'. Just get a place, sign the lease, set up a direct debit, say arivaderci to the landlord, move the pet in. Simple.

Are you freaking serious? Perfect grounds for eviction right there.

<mod snip>

It doesn't matter how trivial you think it is if a LL doesn't want pets (which most don't) then they are perfectly entitled to evict you. You are in someone else's property and they set the rules.

As for how will they find out, well it will be discovered very fast on an inspection. You might hide the dog but you can't hide the smell of a dog that will be noticed immediately. Even if you the LL doesn't want to say anything then a few drives passed the house will soon catch you brining your dog out for a walk and the it's game over, bye bye and try to find a new place with a bad or no reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

<mod snip>

Most likely when the neighbours ring him/her up to complain. Or at the quarterly inspection which any competent LL does.

<mod snip>

How is not allowing pets unreasonable? It's a perfectly reasonable stance for a Ll to take. Why would you want all the extra wear and tear, damage and smells that go with pets along with the possible hassle with neighbours from barking dogs or cats dirtying their gardens etc when you can have your choice of someone else in the queue for the house who doesn't have a pet.

You are talking total nonsense and giving advice that could see a person evicted.

Also inspecting a house isn't being a stalker at all and doing a bit of extra ground work is being a smart landlord if you suspect the tenant is breaking rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Markcheese

<mod snip>

I think the post was saying that during the recession landlords in general were more agreeable to pets as there was more supply than demand- but not so much now-
    On just moving your dog in without telling landlord -it's dodgy - say your in house with your dog in mid October and neighbour complains to landlord about a barking dog- you could be out for Christmas-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Your are talking total nonsense and giving advice that could see a person evicted.

No.

Giving up a pet is a beyond ridiculous and extreme thing to ask someone to do. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

My two cents?

OP, as frustrating the situation may be - cut your losses. Forget about the deposit, couch etc... your best option (IMO) is to get out of the house before anything nasty happens. In the long run you will be great full.

As a dog owner myself, I wouldn't give mine up for the world and from some of the posters on this thread - it becomes obvious that they don't have a pet. If it was your last resort, get the fellow into kennels for a few nights whilst you sort things out but under no circumstances would I 'get rid of it'.

Wish you the best of luck and keep us updated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

My two cents?

OP, as frustrating the situation may be - cut your losses. Forget about the deposit, couch etc... your best option (IMO) is to get out of the house before anything nasty happens. In the long run you will be great full.

As a dog owner myself, I wouldn't give mine up for the world and from some of the posters on this thread - it becomes obvious that they don't have a pet. If it was your last resort, get the fellow into kennels for a few nights whilst you sort things out but under no circumstances would I 'get rid of it'.

Wish you the best of luck and keep us updated :)

Actually I have two dogs. I love them to death, but would never rent to someone with a dog. I know the damage they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Don't get rid of your dog you will find somehwere. Also bring your sofa with you. The minute you have somehwere sorted get that guards onto him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

<mod snip>

It's a dog. It makes noise (unless it's dead).

Neighbours don't have to be a**holes, they just have to be people who don't like dog sh*t on the pavemenet. You know, like most people.

And trust me, attentive LL's inspect. Ones who don't inspect are amateurs, or useless. (I'm a LL who hires at agency to manage for me, and also a tenant.)

I

And trust me, attentive LL's inspect. Ones who don't inspect are amateurs, or useless. (I'm a LL who hires at agency to manage for me, and also a tenant.)

If I was a LL I would definitely be inspecting regularly however I think inspections are probably rare in this country. I'm nearly 7 years in rented places now (3 different houses) and have never had an inspection, I've never even met my current LL in person. We were discussing it a while back over lunch and out of 7 or 8 people no one else around the table has ever had inspections either.

As a tenant I very much like the total absentee LL but I would be the exact opposite if I were a LL myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've been renting since I was 19. I am now 27. Every single place I moved to allowed pets, some after providing references. That includes flats, houses and house shares. I've had dogs (fosters, rescues, my own), cats (and their kittens), hamsters, birds and rats. Sometimes more than one from the list at the same time. I've never been searching more than one week for suitable accommodation, and I have rented in Athlone, Dundalk, Monaghan and NI. My own partner did more than his fair share of renting in Cavan and Dublin with a HOST of exotic pets like snakes, turtles and spiders.

Telling someone to "get rid" of a pet is downright insensitive and cruel. Not just on the owner, but also the dog. Never mind the extra strain you put on the local pound and rescue's resources.

<snip>

OP, you will find somewhere, even if you can afford to offer a larger deposit to allow the dog, or a monthly increase in the rent. Much of the "normal" damage a dog will do is easily repairable, and probably much less than what could be achieved by the average toddler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Off topic posts deleted. Also please use the report function rather than respond to inflamatory posts.

Wright please do not post on this thread again.

So... There have been developments. The Gardai and the landlord have been involved. It has gone beyond messy. I am set to move out Wednesday as it stands. I am due to get my deposit tomorrow. As it stands if I do not receive it I am in an incredibly strong position to report him for seriously breaking the law. Can't really say much more at the moment.

Hopefully it'll end peacefully and I can leave this all behind me!

As for finding a place I had no luck over the weekend. One place popped up on daft and there must have been hundreds of people on the ad. I'm hoping as it's the beginning of the working week tomorrow more places will become available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Absolute best wishes and luck to you and your doggy acidbotti. I truly hope you both find somewhere happy and safe and very soon :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement