Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasted Vegetables

Options
  • 28-08-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Any ideas for good mix and how long and what temp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Any ideas for good mix and how long and what temp?

Carrots, parsnips, shallots, beetroot all roast well and take similar time - about an hour @200 (rough guide). Salt pepper and olive oil.

I love roast garlic. Separate into cloves and trim off blunt hard end. Only takes about half an hour so add to other Veg half way through. You can add lots of rosemary too.

Butternut squash and sweet potato can be nice roast but tends to be softer in texture and difficult to crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms and squash or sweet potato.
    Cut into cubes, with a few sprigs of rosemary and a handful of garlic cloves mixed in, olive oil and salt.

At 180 degrees for around 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Roasted cauliflower is very nice. Roasting makes the flavour even better as it concentrates it where cooking in water causes flavour loss.

Cut up the florets and spread on baking tray, season with a little bit of salt and pepper,bake for 20 minutes at 180 or until edges start to brown.

kfrp wrote: »
    Roasted cauliflower is very nice. Roasting makes the flavour even better as it concentrates it where cooking in water causes flavour loss.

Cut up the florets and spread on baking tray, season with a little bit of salt and pepper,bake for 20 minutes at 180 or until edges start to brown.

I love rubbing it with a little smoked paprika before it goes into the oven. They were made for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I used to (before morphing into a stir fryer) do carrots with a little cumin, portabello mushrooms with a little garlic and peppers with just pepper on them. No idea how long, i'm pretty ok at judging by eye.

Cauliflower with some indian spicing is great.

Asparagus with a little garlic is great. It takes only a few minutes and can get nice and toasty around the edges.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I love rubbing it with a little smoked paprika before it goes into the oven. They were made for each other.

Must try that, I heard its good with spices such as cumin too but have to try it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That sounds good.

Do you use any oil when roasting the cauliflower florets? Thanks.

That sounds good.

Do you use any oil when roasting the cauliflower florets? Thanks.

Nope keep it dry, plenty of moisture in the veg to cook it, if you wanna add a little extra flavour once cooked some butter is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nope keep it dry, plenty of moisture in the veg to cook it, if you wanna add a little extra flavour once cooked some butter is delicious

Thanks very much! Going to do this soon. Great idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms and squash or sweet potato.
    Cut into cubes, with a few sprigs of rosemary and a handful of garlic cloves mixed in, olive oil and salt.

At 180 degrees for around 15 minutes.

15 minutes? Would they not be still rock hard?

I regularly cook courgettes and aubergines with peppers, onions and mushrooms, and they take at least 40 minutes.

I would often cook squash on its own, and no way would it be cooked in 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

katydid wrote: »

I regularly cook courgettes and aubergines with peppers, onions and mushrooms, and they take at least 40 minutes.

Me too - and I find that carrots need to be parboiled before roasting or they're rock hard.

katydid wrote: »
    15 minutes? Would they not be still rock hard?

I would often cook squash on its own, and no way would it be cooked in 15 minutes.

Wow, in 40 minutes I'd just have ashes left.
    I usually pre-heat the oven, and 15 minutes is what I set the timer for. They're usually nicely caramelised on the edges, and soft all the way through.

Could be a difference in the ovens? Or the size of the chunks? I'd usually cut mine to about 2 cm square

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Wow, in 40 minutes I'd just have ashes left.
    I usually pre-heat the oven, and 15 minutes is what I set the timer for. They're usually nicely caramelised on the edges, and soft all the way through.

Could be a difference in the ovens?

Must be a hell of a difference!

I got one of those pre-prepared trays of seasoned new potatoes in Supervalu recently - I don't normally buy such things, but at €2 I couldn't leave it behind. It said to cook the potatoes for 20 minutes in the tray. It took 40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jamie Oliver's Vegetable Megamix is a fantastic way of roasting root veg. The separate seasoning and juices/vinegars compliment each veg fantastically. :)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/roast-vegetable-megamix/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Gosh thats great if they cook in 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Gosh thats great if they cook in 15 mins.

Not sure about 15 mins. You have to par boil them and the longer you leave them in the oven the crispier they get.

Advertisement