Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped by management company!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

As we have seen with the water charges some people in this country just don't want to pay for anything and no amount of education will change that. In Seabourne the management company has sent out information about the fees and explained where they go time and time again and people STILL won't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

a) Newsflash: the country's fecked. If a state body like Irish water wasn't privatised, we'd have to pay more tax. We have a lot of debt to pay down, right or wrong. If you want to protest something, protest the usc (costs us thousands) rather than water charges (costs us hundreds).

b) How are management companies scam artists? Would you volunteer to cut the grass in the common areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

a) Newsflash: the country's fecked. If a state body like Irish water wasn't privatised, we'd have to pay more tax. We have a lot of debt to pay down, right or wrong. If you want to protest something, protest the usc (costs us thousands) rather than water charges (costs us hundreds).

b) How are management companies scam artists? Would you volunteer to cut the grass in the common areas?

The country is fúcked due to, like I said, misappropriation and mismanagement. The debt we have to pay and will pay, for years to come is wrong, there is/was nothing 'right' about it. I have no idea how or why you believe that without IW being privatised we'd have to pay more tax, that's a load of shít. We'd have to pay more tax because of the apathetic Irish accepting the debt that is not ours and continuing to pay each time the gov't decide to introduce a new tax/charge/fee.

Water is costing hundreds now, but will continue to increase year on year.

The USC was supposed to be a temporary measure which is a cash cow for a gov't who have no ingenuity or new thought. Again, the Irish people continue to pay - as uaual.

My experience of management companies (over 20 years) mainly in apartments, is that they are scam artists - that's from my own personal experience. In the estate where I bought my house, the residents committee do a hell of a lot more for a €20 contribution twice a year than any management company I have encountered.

In response to the OP, cut the clamp off.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

LEIN wrote: »
    Education is very straightforward? What are you not following?
    People believe if they ignore it, it will go away. A simple information leaflet to all owners explaining that the debt never goes away.
    Maybe a breakdown of what the money is used for?
    Very simple stuff that was probably not even thought of before pissing off the people who do pay.

Is this a serious suggestion? You're joking right?

ejabrod wrote: »
    The country is fúcked due to, like I said, misappropriation and mismanagement. The debt we have to pay and will pay, for years to come is wrong, there is/was nothing 'right' about it. I have no idea how or why you believe that without IW being privatised we'd have to pay more tax, that's a load of shít. We'd have to pay more tax because of the apathetic Irish accepting the debt that is not ours and continuing to pay each time the gov't decide to introduce a new tax/charge/fee.

The USC was supposed to be a temporary measure which is a cash cow for a gov't who have no ingenuity or new thought. Again, the Irish people continue to pay - as uaual.

My experience of management companies (over 20 years) mainly in apartments, is that they are scam artists - that's from my own personal experience. In the estate where I bought my house, the residents committee do a hell of a lot more for a €20 contribution twice a year than any management company I have encountered.

In response to the OP, cut the clamp off.[/quote

You haven't explained how management companies are 'scams' at all. I have lived in several estates over the years and I believe Charlesland wood is extremely well maintained. Visitors too often comment on it. I believe the management fees are value for money.

You and others don't like clamping-fair enough. Can you please offer some alternatives (serious ones!) for ensuring the estate is maintained to its current standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

This is turning in to a debate on the pros and cons of clamping with regards to getting people to pay the mgmt fees. We had this debate before when it first came in.

For what it's worth I'm in favour of clamping simply because there is no workable/effective alternative. It's a pity it comes to this but it has (someone from the mgmt co. should be able to tell us how well it is working)

I don't believe that this debate was the purpose of the thread. The purpose to me was to ask could the clampers be more considerate and check the reg of cars they see not displaying discs before clamping.

It would be great if they could but then what would stop people that know this check will be done giving their discs out to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

ejabrod wrote: »

In response to the OP, cut the clamp off.

If you live in Charlesland Wood, you could always go to the next AGM and become a Director? At the AGMs I've been to, they've always been straightforward about their plans for the estate and are happy to have extra help!

Change from within, and all that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod warning: The clamping of cars has nothing to do with Irish Water or USC
    Please stay on topic.
    Off topic posts will be deleted.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

FirstIn wrote: »
    This is turning in to a debate on the pros and cons of clamping with regards to getting people to pay the mgmt fees. We had this debate before when it first came in.

For what it's worth I'm in favour of clamping simply because there is no workable/effective alternative. It's a pity it comes to this but it has (someone from the mgmt co. should be able to tell us how well it is working)

I don't believe that this debate was the purpose of the thread. The purpose to me was to ask could the clampers be more considerate and check the reg of cars they see not displaying discs before clamping.

It would be great if they could but then what would stop people that know this check will be done giving their discs out to others.

The clamping is a good idea. It probably works well in the most part however there are two major floors

1) it wont affect anyone who doesnt want to pay their fees and can park on their drive. Clampers cannot clamp a car on a private drive.

2) there is no flexibily and the clampers seem to answer to nobody. If a clamp goes on as far as they are concerned its not coming off until payment is made. The main problem here is that the reason clamping is in force is to get people to pay their fees (fair enough) but how is it fair that someone who has lived there 10 years, pays their fees when due every year, has a minor lapse of concentration and has to pay €80 plus to have the clamp removed? At the next meeting this needs sorting out, we need to make an arrangment with the clamping company that mistakes by up to date fee payers can be resolved without penalty at least once. (I bet the clamping company have no interest in doing this though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Jimjay wrote: »
    The clamping is a good idea. It probably works well in the most part however there are two major floors

1) it wont affect anyone who doesnt want to pay their fees and can park on their drive. Clampers cannot clamp a car on a private drive.

2) there is no flexibily and the clampers seem to answer to nobody. If a clamp goes on as far as they are concerned its not coming off until payment is made. The main problem here is that the reason clamping is in force is to get people to pay their fees (fair enough) but how is it fair that someone who has lived there 10 years, pays their fees when due every year, has a minor lapse of concentration and has to pay €80 €120 plus to have the clamp removed? At the next meeting this needs sorting out, we need to make an arrangment with the clamping company that mistakes by up to date fee payers can be resolved without penalty at least once. (I bet the clamping company have no interest in doing this though)

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

A detailed breakdown of what the management fee covers certainly doesn't encourage all where I live to pay their fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

So all you were looking for was someone who just agrees with you?

The snarky 'holier than thou' tone here is unreal. The OP has a perfectly valid point - it is ridiculous to clamp a resident's car like that without first checking the reg.
    If you want to be a passive victim of this bullying behavior, go right ahead. But don't be surprised if others wont.

Check the accounts guys. Since clamping was introduced, debt to the management company has dropped drastically.

The rule is simple, display the disc, don't get clamped. A disc holder was provided for this purpose. How much hand-holding to adults need nowadays?!

FirstIn wrote: »

The residents discs have the number plate printed on them so this would stop that happening. The visitors discs don't have a registration number on them and there is nothing stopping people giving them to others already. So nothing would change.

Check the accounts guys. Since clamping was introduced, debt to the management company has dropped drastically.

The rule is simple, display the disc, don't get clamped. A disc holder was provided for this purpose. How much hand-holding to adults need nowadays?!

Depends on your attitude. You can be rigid, inflexible and dogmatic or you can show a bit of initiative and flexibility so as not to highly inconvenience your customer who has paid his fee and is only trying to get to work.

These systems work best when there is cooperation and good will on both sides.

LorMal wrote: »
    Depends on your attitude. You can be rigid, inflexible and dogmatic or you can show a bit of initiative and flexibility so as not to highly inconvenience your customer who has paid his fee and is only trying to get to work.

Exactly!

LorMal wrote:

LorMal wrote:

You're proposing a new system, with a disguised ad hominem attack thrown in for good measure.

The current system is simple. Display disc, don't get clamped. Adding a checking function for undisced cars is unnecessary and relies on communication between a remote vehicle and secure database. If this communication is interrupted, the system fails - meaning no cars could be clamped.

..still waiting to hear an alternative suggestion from posters opposed to clamping to ensure management fees are collected...lots of giving out, lot's of 'it's a disgrace'.....but no alternatives (apart from post an information leaflet through everyone's door explaining why you should pay!).....so predictable.....yawn......

..still waiting to hear an alternative suggestion from posters opposed to clamping to ensure management fees are collected...lots of giving out, lot's of 'it's a disgrace'.....but no alternatives (apart from post an information leaflet through everyone's door explaining why you should pay!).....so predictable.....yawn......

Grrrr...Alles in Ordnung...Grrr..Rules is Rules...Grrrr...Black is Black...Grrr White is White..Grrrr....

(Everything would be perfect if there were no people)...Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

You could always send heavys around and beat the **** out of the ones that dont pay the management fees..some other moron suggested cutting their power off or their water..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Maudi wrote: »
    You could always send heavys around and beat the **** out of the ones that dont pay the management fees..some other moron suggested cutting their power off or their water..

This post just proves his point. You have no answers just a lot of whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread is going nowhere

/closed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement