Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping

Options
  • 28-08-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone. I'm kind of freaking out...I'm about 9 weeks pregnant and stuck in an office beside someone who uses an e-cig on and off all day. I haven't told anyone I'm pregnant yet so I feel like I can't say anything. Is this harmful to my baby? Does anyone know anything about 2nd hand fumes from them? I can't find much in relation to pregnancy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Not much of a help but im in the same boat. have 3 people right next to me who puff on these all day, and im 8 months pregnant.

Im an ex smoker myself and my husband went on to vaping when we found out i was pregnant. He wont smoke it around me, opting to stand outside to have a puff etc..

Unless there is a law in your office im not sure there is much you can do. Its frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgreeableSir

As long as there using liquid with no nicotine in it should be okay. As in they might just be flavoured ones otherwise I wouldn't suggest you stay around them. Any 2nd hand smoke is bad. Good luck to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Personally, I would speak to HR and/or office manager and say it bothers you and you want to move desks - is that an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I wouldn't be worried if they're the ones without nicotine.

However I think you'd be well within your rights to approach HR and ask what the policy is on using them at work. You wouldn't need to mention your pregnancy ... Those things smell, even the flavoured ones without nicotine, and it's no different to eating smelly food at your desk, it's just bad manners. Personally the smell doesn't bother me, but chances are it bothers others. Especially if they are in a position like yours where they are unsure whether or not you are breathing in secondhand nicotine - a valid concern even if you weren't pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RainbowPepper

I'm going to have a chat with the manager on Monday and hopefully it will be sorted. Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BernardChan

Not good for you as long as they puff an ecig with a nic contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. In my case, I've been to HR & the individual is still doing it in spite of having received two mails explicitly stating that e-cigs are not permitted in the office. It's got to the point that I'm actually going to have to say it to the person in question and I'm literally dreading it.

Advertisement