Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Weather Query

Options
  • 28-08-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi guys I don't usually post over here on weather but I thought you guys would be the best to ask.
    I've been trying to find what weather has been like on May 10th in previous years to see if there's any chance of having an outdoor wedding next May on the same date.
    Not really to pushed on it being warm as long as its not baltic. Looking for a dry day.
    Would this make sense?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

sm213 wrote: »
    Hi guys I don't usually post over here on weather but I thought you guys would be the best to ask.
    I've been trying to find what weather has been like on May 10th in previous years to see if there's any chance of having an outdoor wedding next May on the same date.
    Not really to pushed on it being warm as long as its not baltic. Looking for a dry day.
    Would this make sense?
    Thanks.
    There is a warning given on all investment products "Past performance does not predict future trends".
    The same goes even more so for predictions of weather that far out.

So even if you gathered all the data for May 10th previously, it wouldn't tell you anything specific about May 10th 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Ok thanks.
    Thought it might have been a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

For example, the maximum May temperature recorded in Ireland was 28 degrees C, and the coldest was -6.5 degrees C (source Met Eireann).

cml387 wrote: »
    For example, the maximum May temperature recorded in Ireland was 28 degrees C, and the coldest was -6.5 degrees C (source Met Eireann).

Yeah too much room for manoeuvre there.
    So is there anyway apart from the 3 day forecast I could have an idea of the weather sooner the time. A longer forecast?
    Obviously subject to change I understand the weather is difficult to calculate in advance.
    Just to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Where is the wedding? You could work out probability of a nice day but essentially its a waste of time. I planned an outdoor wedding in july this year with an indoor alternative. It rained like hell. But the day was still lovely so make sure you have a good back up plan and dont spend too much on outdoor decoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I went for an April wedding when I got married because it looked statistically less likely to be a complete washout (April is the driest month)
    It worked out for us too and it was 20c and sunny for it on April 16 2011.
    But trends seem to be changing in our climate again now, april was very cold this year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just looked back into my records...for the last 5 years it has rained here (in south Dublin) on May 10th!!! To be more precise...rain was recorded between 0900 on the 10th and 0900 on the 11th (so rain could have been anytime between those hours).

Child of Prague may be your only hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Child of Prague may be your only hope! :)

Ha. Ill sell mine.

fits wrote: »
    Where is the wedding? You could work out probability of a nice day but essentially its a waste of time. I planned an outdoor wedding in july this year with an indoor alternative. It rained like hell. But the day was still lovely so make sure you have a good back up plan and dont spend too much on outdoor decoration.

Wedding is in Avoca. Have both options for indoor and outdoor and as Indoor has lots of windows its the same view.
    I know on the day I'll just be happy to be married. Its our anniversary so its going to be that day no matter what.
    Just was wondering if we could find out a bit in advance.
    Wasn't going to spend much on outdoor decoration as if outside it will be on the banks of the aughrim river with an old railway bridge behind us.
    Garden is in the process of landscaping too so should be naturally pretty.
    Might chance it with a bit of a drizzle. Sure it's Ireland we're all used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Getting married tomorrow how's it looking for around 3pm in wicklow town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It should be fairly warm and pleasant with some sunshine. But there may be some showers around to threaten to spoil your day.

Mods you can close this now if its getting too off topic for weather forums usual chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

vickers209 wrote: »
    Getting married tomorrow how's it looking for around 3pm in wicklow town

Congrats!!!!
    Hopefully you'll dodge the showers tomorrow and whatever the weather enjoy your day :)

I was at a wedding two years ago in Avoca in May, though I can't remember the exact date, it was absolutely unbelievable weather. Flash floods and everything. It was in brook lodge and the bride had to be brought across to the little chapel on a golf buggy as she would have been soaked.

Didn't make any difference to their overall enjoyment of the day though :)

I was at a wedding two years ago in Avoca in May, though I can't remember the exact date, it was absolutely unbelievable weather. Flash floods and everything. It was in brook lodge and the bride had to be brought across to the little chapel on a golf buggy as she would have been soaked.

Didn't make any difference to their overall enjoyment of the day though :)

Ha to be honest that sounds like it was something to look back and laugh about. Especially with the stress so many people put themselves under running up to the wedding.

I think I'll be too happy to mind whatever weather.
    Ceremony outside would just be a nice extra.

Advertisement