Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing mixed breed Terrier to 2 kittens - TIPs

• 28-08-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,
    We have a mixed breed terrier who is 2 years old very friendly but excitable & lots of energy!
    We have her nearly year & a half now & she was used to a cat where she came from & when we got her we had a cat but he was nearly bigger than her & well able for the dog gave her a fair few scratches which put her right off trying to annoy him. They ended up tolerating each other.
    However our lovely old cat died few months ago so my cat loving husband & 2 kids begging for a replacement. We now got an offer of 2 kittens almost 4 mths old, so they mad to take them am ok but while the dog was fine with our old cat if we out she goes mental after cats - will it be a lot of work trying to get them used to each other? When inside we will be with them or keep them separate rooms if not. But outside is whole different story.
    I also want to keep the kittens a bit wary of dogs too as my mam got a lovely young cat recently but she was far too friendly with dogs was fine with my mams dog as he used to cats & never bothers them but her neighbours dog was the end of her :(
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If she has been familiar with your old cat, it should be ok again... a terrier is such a hunter though, while the kittens are small, it will be a lot of work to keep them safe until you see how the dog reacts to the incoming furry targets. As you say, keep them seperate, and only allow the dog near the kittens while she is on a leash initially, then with constant supervision if the first meetings go well.

All the cat lovers on here will tell you that as long as there are places that the kittens can use as an escape route, that is very important

I introduced VERY slowly a rescue kitten to a mixed breed terrier. Over the course of many weeks. Our terrier would chase ANYTHING when we are out, but he is very good with our cat at home now, they are very good friends - sharing an armchair even! Our terrier will chase the cat out in the garden, but only in a playing/fun way - its like he understands that Tux is "his cat". Other cats that we meet out on walks he will chase as usual.

Hopefully your two kittens being 4 months old will hiss etc when your dog approaches, which will remind the dog that cats can be "dangerous". The important thing really is to the introduction very slowly. Lots of little treats to the dog is she behaves when the kittens are being shown to her etc. to distract her and she will associate the kittens with treats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

My terrier who is almost 2 adores my cat and though there is lots of pouncing and rolling around, he has never been aggressive. From time to time I bring kittens home to mind them for short periods and even though he is full of curiosity and follows them around a lot, he keeps his distance if they are hissing etc. I don't leave him unsupervised with the kittens though. As soon as the kittens show any signs of friendliness he is right in there trying to play so the kittens need to have a place to escape to when they need it.

Advertisement