Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schooling costs for my Husbands child

Options
  • 28-08-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hey all

I want to get your opinion on this-my Husbands daughter who is 13 is back to school. My husband who is on a very low income supports give maintenance to the Mother. She recently asked for 300 euro to cover the back to school costs. We know for a fact that she got the back to school allowance of 200 euro recently. He could not afford to give her this, but instead bought his daughter her school shoes and school supplies. The mother is stating that she is only paying the same towards her school stuff and she doesnt care if thats what she only goes back to school with (realistically her uniform). She didnt pay her book bill last year even though we gave the money to her for it and realise this will probably happen again this year.
    it really angers me to think that she is using her back to school allowance on going out and partying rather than spending it on her daughter.
    What can we do-he cant afford to pay her book bill-I do realise that we have a joint income being married but should the onus be on me to cover these costs! My income covers all the bills and mortgage -his ex has a better social life than us going out every weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What are the actual costs for sending her back to school? If you have trust issues with the mother RE where the money goes, she needs to be precise about how the money is going to be spent

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

thats the thing, we dont know where the money is going, she just came up a figure and i think she was trying to get us to pay for everything! from previous years, we know that book bills were not paid, so we try to buy things directly instead of giving her the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

You could also give the money for the books to the school directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Blonde27 wrote: »
    thats the thing, we dont know where the money is going, she just came up a figure and i think she was trying to get us to pay for everything! from previous years, we know that book bills were not paid, so we try to buy things directly instead of giving her the cash.

Any school will (or should) give out notices for monies that need to be paid. You should ask for copies of these. Or get your husband to enquire dorectly with the school.

yes, my problem is though we have already spent about 100 euro on her, her Dad doesnt have the money for school book rental at the moment and the mother does be off partying at weekends so that is obviously where her money is going! she wont be paying it on books. its just infuriating that we have to pay off these debts all the time..

• Advertisement

BTW, he has not gone to court for access/maintenance as he has paid maintenance through her bank account since they separated, but i think the time has come so that all these payments can be organised and written down. The only things that we have done is through solicitors letters to agree access and maintenance.

€100 would not go very far towards sending a 13 year old back to school.

Do you have a court ordered maintenance arrangement ?? If you do perhaps you could get it adjusted if you feel it is leaving you and your husband short of money.

No we dont have anything from Court, maintenance is paid through her bank account and she also claims her One parent allowance. As advised, she has also received her 200 euro for back to school costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

My opinion, without any experience in this area, but take it or leave it:
    your focus should be on your husband's daughter, and not on what the mother does at her weekends. It may be true that she's off partying, wasting money (including the maintenance money) but you really haven't any proof of that, and if it were brought up in discussions with the mother, it could prompt a knee-jerk reaction against your husband's daughter.

If your husband can't pay, he can't pay this once off - fair enough.

Maybe address the mother's inability to save for the daughter going back to school over the summer months (saving your husband's maintenance money) and offer the coming few months of maintenance money (or part thereoff) for back to school expenses?

From looking here, it seems it should be around ~€471 once off: http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/news/2015/title,9240,en.php

Edit: and obviously, it should have proper expenses paid against it...

very messy situation - heart breaking i'd say

If you think he is paying too much the only thing to do is get it changed through the courts, and get an order which clarifies what other expenses will be paid on top of the weekly maintenance, such as clothes, books, school fees etc.

Even with the €200, that still only makes €300 towards back to school costs.....which wont come close to covering it.

• Advertisement

thanks for your advice on all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The point of maintenance is to pay for everything the child needs. The cost of going to school is factored into this. Don't pay a cent more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

GarIT wrote: »
    The point of maintenance is to pay for everything the child needs. The cost of going to school is factored into this. Don't pay a cent more.

That's not always true. School, Christmas, birthdays and extra curricular activities are regularly paid on top of maintenance as advised by the courts.

GarIT wrote: »

Depends whether the maintenance paid is court ordered based on the fathers income, or just a voluntary amount.

Some fathers pay as little as €20 a week voluntarily, not saying the husband of the Op is, but that hardly covers anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Well the cost for mine 2nd class was the guts of E600 this year. And that is with NO duplicates for uniforms...one of everything.

I can only imagine what a 13 year old girl costs.

Tell your husband to get a copy of the book list and buy them directly from Easons and a gift certificate to the uniform shop.

I think you guys need to get more realistic. 100 is a drop in the bucket.

And then another 100 in the spring and none of this includes extra curriculars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

600 is crazy!!

we have an expensive uniform - it is about 140 for everything (not shoes) for Junior Infants
    Book list incl book rental,bought books and art supplies was 105.
    Shoes and Runners as usual as much as you want to spend!

For 1st class,we didn't need to buy a new uniform but book list incl rental and art was 141.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    600 is crazy!!

we have an expensive uniform - it is about 140 for everything (not shoes) for Junior Infants
    Book list incl book rental,bought books and art supplies was 105.
    Shoes and Runners as usual as much as you want to spend!

For 1st class,we didn't need to buy a new uniform but book list incl rental and art was 141.

I agree. It's nuts. Uniform about 100, books just over 100, supplies and bits and pieces like pencils, rulers etc,20, 200 materials fee, 85 voluntary contribution, runners, school shoes, 50 swimming, 50 class trip....

Imagine having more than one child to kit out.

There's probably something I'm forgetting. Also got half a message to put money in an envelope but the misting half of the message us how much and what for.

Oh yeah then there's school insurance and extra curriculars...obviously optional.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 4;)
    only 2 in big school though.
    200 materials?
    Our voluntary contribution is 250 every 2 years for optimal tax reasons.
    Ours included 15 euro for irish dancing,gymnastics and hip hop 1 a term.

I have 4;)
    only 2 in big school though.
    200 materials?
    Our voluntary contribution is 250 every 2 years for optimal tax reasons.
    Ours included 15 euro for irish dancing,gymnastics and hip hop 1 a term.

The 200 is not voluntary. It's mandatory. The 85 is voluntary but you will get nagged for it.

Are these tax deductible?

nope,
    The Taxes Consolidation Act of 1997 lets schools and some other charities get a tax benefit on donations over 250 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,542 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I really do sometimes wonder what people spend money on getting kids to school.
    Our daughter is going to secondary this year so a whole new uniform, shoes, bag, junior cycle books bought, bits and bobs and it's under €600. Now it's not small money but the majority of her books are full junior cycle books so the following years will be cheaper.

I appreciate your husband is skint but he has responsibilities to his kid. So he's given €100, he probably needs to stup up another €200/300 to pay his share.
    He needs to face his responsibilities and stop whining about how the ex is living, like ye never ever go out for a drink or with friends.

nope,
    The Taxes Consolidation Act of 1997 lets schools and some other charities get a tax benefit on donations over 250 euro.

Sorry but if you give money to charity you can claim it as tax back. If schools have charity status, surely an individual can claim this money as if they have donated to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭murraychrisg

Yeah your going to have to realise that it costs a lot more then 300 e to send a child to school! Like ppl said with voluntary contributions, and general week to week school costs! Your husband should be paying his share and that's the bottom line, it's his child, so stop trying to justify not paying it! Or trying to get out of it! I'm sure he knew that his child was going to school in September, and puttin a few quid away a week you wouldn't be so hard up a week beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm sending an almost 13 year old back to school and here's the costs
    Uniform 120
    Shoes 50
    Pe uniform 20 school hoodie, 10 polo shirts and 20 tracksuit bottoms
    School bag using last years but 28 if not
    School jacket 34
    Insurance plus misc costs charged by school 30
    Book rental 100
    New trainers 25 (half price sale)
    School contribution 50
    Art supplies 20
    Locker fee 10
    Homework journal 5
    New bras and tights 40
    School supplies 40 (refill pads, pens, folders)
    One book not in rental scheme 15
    Dictionary for languages, maths tables and English novel 25

So total costs for secondary school can easily peak 500 or 600 depending on the school

Get the mother to outline the expenses and provide receipts if needed. Take off the back to school grant of 200 and split the difference.

You may still be looking at a bill of about 200-300 euro but at least you'll be able to verify what it's being spent on and perhaps pay it to the school directly if you're concerned.
    What the mother does at weekends is really none of your concern however she should be outlining the expenses and explaining where the money for school is going.
    If she works she might not have gotten the back to school grant at all.
    I reduced my hours to part time and this is the first year I've gotten it since my child started school 8 years ago even though I've just one income and no maintenance.

Also most thirteen year old girls are out of children's sizes and into women's sizes for shoes and clothes so the expenses can increase fairly drastically. Ive actually gone back and edited my list three times to add in stuff I forgot I bought and paid for. All I've been doing the last two weeks is emptying my savings account for back to school!

And next stop on the bankruptcy express, Christmas!

ash23 wrote:
    Get the mother to outline the expenses and provide receipts if needed. Take off the back to school grant of 200 and split the difference.
    Yeah but with that anything that comes up during the year has to be split so!!! 300 is still below the yearly cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Yeah but with that anything that comes up during the year has to be split so!!! 300 is still below the yearly cost!

Absolutely. School trips, exam costs, new shoes when they grow a size in a month.... Kids are expensive and teens even moreso as I am finding out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

austerity in action! free education, my a*se! disgraceful stuff reading this thread. i wish all parents the best with trying to educate their kids. disgraceful carry on

ash23 wrote:
    Absolutely. School trips, exam costs, new shoes when they grow a size in a month.... Kids are expensive and teens even moreso as I am finding out!!
    Course! And tbh, you give 300€ and that's you done for the school year, don't have to buy anything, attend anything or deal with anything!? Take the easy 300€ option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Sorry but if you give money to charity you can claim it as tax back. If schools have charity status, surely an individual can claim this money as if they have donated to charity?
    I think the way it works is that the charity can claim the tax you would have paid.

e.g. If you donate 250 the school can claim the tax you would have paid on that 250 (probably between 110 and 120) giving the school a total of between 360 and 370 for your net donation of 250.

The school asks you to return form CHY2 to enable them reclaim the tax.

Advertisement