Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing of Scripts

• 28-08-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all, what should I expect this evening when I view scripts? Any tips from past students or teachers? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll be allowed view one script at a time. The marking schemes are available for you to compare to your script. You are not allowed have a phone or anything to write with in the room. There will be other people in the room so it is expected that you won't make a racket.

If you find discrepancies in your script and you think there would be enough marks there to bring you up a grade there is a form you can fill in.

E.g. Q1 (a) I wrote '5' and got no marks. My answer is in the scheme and there are 4 marks going for it.

If you need to fill in this form you will have to do it outside the door.

Don't blindly send back scripts hoping for a sympathy upgrade. It doesn't happen. Don't send back a script if you should have been awarded 3 more marks if it's not going to bring you up to the next grade. It's a waste of money.

i.e. if you are on 66% (C1) and the extra marks you find bring you to 69%, it's still a C1 and you will not be refunded the €40.

Most of the time students who tell me 'I felt I did way better on the day' haven't done better, because they didn't answer the question that was asked. Writing a 3 page essay doesn't mean what you wrote was correct. That's the most common problem I come across. It becomes apparent when we start reading the question and their answer to the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

You'll be allowed view one script at a time. The marking schemes are available for you to compare to your script. You are not allowed have a phone or anything to write with in the room. There will be other people in the room so it is expected that you won't make a racket.

If you find discrepancies in your script and you think there would be enough marks there to bring you up a grade there is a form you can fill in.

E.g. Q1 (a) I wrote '5' and got no marks. My answer is in the scheme and there are 4 marks going for it.

If you need to fill in this form you will have to do it outside the door.

Don't blindly send back scripts hoping for a sympathy upgrade. It doesn't happen. Don't send back a script if you should have been awarded 3 more marks if it's not going to bring you up to the next grade. It's a waste of money.

i.e. if you are on 66% (C1) and the extra marks you find bring you to 69%, it's still a C1 and you will not be refunded the €40.

Most of the time students who tell me 'I felt I did way better on the day' haven't done better, because they didn't answer the question that was asked. Writing a 3 page essay doesn't mean what you wrote was correct. That's the most common problem I come across. It becomes apparent when we start reading the question and their answer to the question.

Great tips - thanks for taking the time to share them! Really appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Just came back from my own viewing, there's one thing I feel I should say..

Examiners... You da real MVP.:rolleyes: Cheers to them for finding an extra mark somewhere so I went up a grade.. For like literally 4 subjects. That might have been only a single tick for you, but for us students that extra 5 points is a huge difference.

Clap.. Clap.. Clap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 maracuja

Do you know if they will only check the discrepancies you mentioned on the form? Or do they check it all again?

I just went in with my brother to check his physics script. I went through his whole booklet and found one question had been added up incorrectly. We wrote this on the sheet but that was the only definite mistake we found.

It's only now after getting home that I realise the whole section he typed (he has dyslexia and is allowed to type long questions) was not added into the total. It was corrected, we went through it and checked it all, but it was not added up with the rest. Will this be spotted even if we didn't point it out? He will have lost out on a lot of marks there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

maracuja wrote: »
    Do you know if they will only check the discrepancies you mentioned on the form? Or do they check it all again?

I just went in with my brother to check his physics script. I went through his whole booklet and found one question had been added up incorrectly. We wrote this on the sheet but that was the only definite mistake we found.

It's only now after getting home that I realise the whole section he typed (he has dyslexia and is allowed to type long questions) was not added into the total. It was corrected, we went through it and checked it all, but it was not added up with the rest. Will this be spotted even if we didn't point it out? He will have lost out on a lot of marks there.

The whole paper will be corrected again from scratch. But if you are not living too far from the school you could go back in now with your brother and check and write it on the comments sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 maracuja

Thanks very much, we can't go back in so I just hope it will be noticed. It should have been obvious to us but we were in a bit of a hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

I am going to view my scripts at 2 o clock but dont know how to check my construction paper. will it show the marks i got for my practical and project or how does it work

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Guys,
    I got 550 points, my first choice was 555 in trinity. I missed out by 5 points.

I went to view my scripts yesterday and even though I had no intention to appeal anything, I found a few blatant errors in correcting my physics paper.

My question is, if my appeal comes through and I go up 5 points, what happens with my first choice in trinity then? Do they allow me into their course in October? Or guarantee me a place on their courae next year regardless of point fluctuations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Benm123 wrote: »
    Guys,
    I got 550 points, my first choice was 555 in trinity. I missed out by 5 points.

I went to view my scripts yesterday and even though I had no intention to appeal anything, I found a few blatant errors in correcting my physics paper.

My question is, if my appeal comes through and I go up 5 points, what happens with my first choice in trinity then? Do they allow me into their course in October? Or guarantee me a place on their courae next year regardless of point fluctuations?

It depends on whether the course is full or not. If there is space they may offer you the opportunity to start this year. If not, they will defer your place till next year and yes, you'll be guaranteed it regardless of any change in points requirements.

Advertisement