Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map API

Options
  • 28-08-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I've been spending the past while massively overhauling a website and adding new features and adding a login/subscription model, now the issue I've come across is that as it is a hobby site at present it's offering a subscriptions service but to use a map API behind a subscription login doesn't come free, first I tried Google, they're looking for a ridiculous amount a year regardless the size of the site, they don't take size/scale into consideration.

I'm waiting on Microsoft to get back to me but I'm wondering if there are any map APIs that can be used for free or ones that have a threshold limit from where billing kicks in so you get for example the first 10,000 map impressions a month for free that can be used behind a login/subscription on a website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Friend of mine just built something using OpenLayers and was singing it's praises: http://openlayers.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Leaflet

http://leafletjs.com/

In my opinion, OpenLayers hasn't progressed in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to go with MapQuest as they have a pricing plan that allows 15,000 transactions a month for free and then the ability to upgrade your package as you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Not questioning your decision, just wondering on the rational - why MapQuest over other options?

Do they provide extra datasets / services which are applicable to your application? Is it an easier development (configuration?) experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did you look at MapBox? They offer 50,000 map views free each month. It's $0.50 per thousand views after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Talisman wrote: »
    Did you look at MapBox? They offer 50,000 map views free each month. It's $0.50 per thousand views after that.
    Having a look now, thanks.

Advertisement