Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Charts

Options
  • 28-08-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Does anyone know where online you can find the weight charts the HSE nurses use for over 4's ? My 4.5 had a developmental check the other day and the nurse said he was overweight. I'm really struggling to see it (I don't think I'm in denial or anything!) He is quite a slight boy, little hips but not skin and bones or anything. All the uniforms we looked at for his size this year were falling around his ankles and we had to buy him a smaller size. Anyway I've done online BMI calculators and they are saying that he is in the 16th percentile for boys of his age which is low side of healthy (healthy being between the 5th and 85th percentile). I can only find HSE weight charts for up to 4. Anyone know what they use for older kids?
    My husband brought him in and didn't think to ask any questions.
    Half of me is thinking they must of made a mistake and the other half is worried!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

January wrote: »

Thanks, I just plotted him and he is definitely not over weight. There just must have been a mix up. Don't need to start changing our dinner menus!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is he very small for his age?
    I wouldn't worry too much unless it is effecting him.
    She didn't say what % he was in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

All children are built differently, this is what the nurses don't get. They are going by guidelines and averages. Of course every child is not going to be average. I wouldn't worry too much about it. He will get taller and the next visit she will probably tell you he's underweight. You say he doesn't look over weight so he's probably short. My Lil girl is nearly one and whenever we bring her for check ups they tell us she's well over weight but it's because she's so short. I don't worry because she's going to grow and even out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

The scheduled developmental check is 3-3.5 years, not 4.5years (unless there were issues at the scheduled one and he was recalled?).

So, is she plotting his weight correctly? Perhaps she is thinking he is 3.5 years old and plotting him on that line? I would say to give her a call and ask her the question yourself - I know I won't send my husband to the developmental checks unless I absolutely have to for this exact reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The scheduled developmental check is 3-3.5 years, not 4.5years (unless there were issues at the scheduled one and he was recalled?).

So, is she plotting his weight correctly? Perhaps she is thinking he is 3.5 years old and plotting him on that line? I would say to give her a call and ask her the question yourself - I know I won't send my husband to the developmental checks unless I absolutely have to for this exact reason!

I could have sworn the OP said in her first post that he missed a check and was only checked because he was in with a new baby and dad. So maybe they were using the younger kids weight charts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 4 1/2 year old is 34lb if that helps,but she is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

January wrote: »
    I could have sworn the OP said in her first post that he missed a check and was only checked because he was in with a new baby and dad. So maybe they were using the younger kids weight charts.
    As currently worded, there is no mention of this in the OP... and there wasn't when I read it the other day.
    Perhaps the OP edited this out of her post before I saw it?

But yes, it does sound like the PHN is using the incorrect chart for the 4.5yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My 4.5 year old is around 17kg and he's gotten quite thin looking in the last few months as he's growing. I read somewhere that for very young children their upper arms are a quick indicator of weight. If they have pudgy upper arms at that age it could be that they're overweight. I'm not sure how true it is.

Advertisement