Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Dublin for 1?

Options
  • 28-08-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am due to start a job in Dublin on the 7th Sept. It is a Monday-Friday job & I am currently studying also so I will probably be coming home at weekends, at least initially.

What is the best way to approach finding suitable accommodation for 1?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Daft.ie and selling your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Not wanting to pop your happiness balloon BUT it's a crap time to be looking as the hoards of students are descending and there are English language students paying €250 a month to share a room but threatening to stage a protest outside the Dail about it.

So, to try and be constructive

1) daft.ie, myhome.ie and Gumtree
    2) Facebook groups Eg Rent in Dublin, Ideal Housemate etc
    3) Network - reach out to friends, friends of friends, friends of your Mammy etc

Be realistic - if foreign language students are paying €250 a month to share a room in D1 with two others, you are not going to get a spacious double by yourself 10 mins walk of the spire for €400 including bills By my less than scientific knowledge, a double will be €600+ plus bills D1/2/3, €550+ along the Luas, and €500+ elsewhere. You'll get a better bargain Northside, but the social interactions may include your potential (legal) clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

on_my_oe wrote: »
    You'll get a better bargain Northside, but the social interactions may include your potential (legal) clients

This old chesnut. There is somewhat of an East/West divide in Dublin but this North South thing is rubbish. I'm sure you're just joking but just so the OP knows it's just a Dublin 'joke'.

EDIT I see D1 getting mentioned alot I thin the OP menat in Dublin FOR 1 not D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I think my 'tongue in cheek' went adrift... I live in finglas but after Brixton and Peckham its grand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I think my 'tongue in cheek' went adrift... I live in finglas but after Brixton and Peckham its grand ;)

Sorry I've become sensitive since my move. My one man PR campaign to extol the virtues of Kilbarrack has become a bit of a crusade. :pac:

I'm also very found of tongue in cheek comments myself so should learn to spot them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there is A LOT more to de nortsoide, than Finglas !

Am I being tongue in cheek enough? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Jaysus, I always thought Peckham & Brixton were sound, apart from the Camden estate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Haha cheers guys, I know to take those comments with a pinch of salt.

Just going to be a matter of trawling the internet so it seems!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Haha cheers guys, I know to take those comments with a pinch of salt.

Just going to be a matter of trawling the internet so it seems!

Thanks for your help!

It's quite tough to find somewhere decent, but don't get too disheartened and keep going to viewings, the one you decide not to go to could be the perfect spot.

Advertisement