Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Shannon from Dublin

• 28-08-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I've been offered an interview with Financial Services company in Shannon.

Have lived in Dublin all my life early 30s, single bloke.

What's it like to live there? Will it be difficult to make friends?
    Is accommodation hard to come by? Cheap?

Any insights, advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Moving from Dublin to Shannon would be a massive change, I'd probably recommend moving to either Ennis or Limerick and commuting from there, Shannon is ~20 minutes from both those places. Once you get to know the areas and people then you can look to get a permanent place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've been offered an interview with Financial Services company in Shannon.

Have lived in Dublin all my life early 30s, single bloke.

What's it like to live there? Will it be difficult to make friends?
    Is accommodation hard to come by? Cheap?

Any insights, advice appreciated.

Not much happens in Shannon, you'd be better off moving to Limerick or Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Clareman wrote: »
    Moving from Dublin to Shannon would be a massive change, I'd probably recommend moving to either Ennis or Limerick and commuting from there, Shannon is ~20 minutes from both those places. Once you get to know the areas and people then you can look to get a permanent place.

Thanks, that isn't much of a commute really, considering Dublin times.
    Is public transport good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

About 40 min by bus from Limerick or Ennis. Doesn't take a most direct route hence journey time. http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425905252-343.pdf

It's fairly likely there'd be a carpool at your place of work as most people would probably be commuting from Limerick or Ennis as it is. Both are only around 20 min from Shannon by car

Thanks very much, it's an hour to go 4 miles into Dublin city centre from the outskirts of the city when the kids are in school/colleges back, so I'd still see that as a short commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

As to making friends, always easiest if you join a club or something. You don't say what you're into but plenty of clubs / societies etc in Ennis / Limerick and even Shannon.

Great, I'm quite sporty, would definitely join the gym. Enjoy watching as well, I'd enjoy Thomond Park.

Will check out meetup.com for groups there.

That's put my mind at ease a good bit can focus on the interview so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you're sporty check out a CrossFit club or tag rugby, great way of meeting people.

Personally, I'd say get a place in Ennis and look to commute by public transport for a while, after a couple of weeks when you get to know people you'll either get a lift or get to know a private transport option, if Ennis doesn't work out or you get to know people in Limerick you can move there, this time of the year is a nightmare to get a place to live in Limerick cause of the colleges going back

Advertisement