Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lakes 10k Blessington 5th Sep 2015

Options
  • 28-08-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Lakeshore Striders are running The Lakes 10K in Blessington on the 5th of September at 11am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1DpGOMS6g

Last year’s results

Race Details
    Race Details: AAI Permit, Accurate Course Measurement (Jones Counter)
    Prize Categories: 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall (Male and Female). 1st and 2nd in ages 35-45, 45-55 and 55+ (Male and Female).
    Timing: Chip Timing System
    11am start time.
    Route Info: Fast and scenic route around Blessington Lake. Roads closed to traffic.
    Entrants: Limited to 600 entrants. Over 18's only. Wheelchair competitors welcome.
    Extras: Goodie bag's and more for all runners!
    Please note: Race pack will be posted to entrants a few weeks before the race.
    No entries will be accepted on the day. This is for entrants comfort and logistic reasons. Thank you.
    For more information see http://www.thelakes10k.ie/
    Date: 5th September, 11 am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Ran this last year. Great race. Really well organised. Fairly fast course, despite the steepish incline a few kms before home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I'm in, signed up earlier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm in. If only for the muffins, which are legendary. Super race, really well organised with a great atmopshere. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Signed up for this myself, really enjoyed it last year, super organisation and a nice course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Me too :) super race, looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Me too. Glad I checked the map, thought it started at the other bridge (Valleymount). And those muffins looked more like brownies to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Looking forward to this one next Saturday morning. A friend has managed to get me entered into this event having spent the last year raving on about the fast course, scenic setting, great atmosphere, support and refreshments throughout along with worthy causes benefitting. Should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Thanks for the feedback. Numbers are down so a better chance for a crack at the large prize pot! Please support the race by sharing the details with your groups. Group/Club discounts available if you want to contact the email above.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Myself and OH have entered....I've run it the past two years and am looking forward to Saturday (even with that hill!!), great downhill section after it though :) Great event, organisation fantastic and of course lots of lovely goodies afterwards :)

Weather doesn't look too bad for Saturday :) Forecast is for 12-14 degrees around 11 a.m., little chance of rain and wind not too strong at around 19Km/h. That said, this is Ireland, I should probably be checking a bit closer to the time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

what's this hill everyone is talking about? I thought a lakeside run would be flat !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Anyone got a course profile?

Edit: mapmyrun profile on race website.

Murph_D wrote: »

Isn't there one on the Garmin profile page? Course is not unlike Dunshaughlin I think.

Steep enough hill between 6 and 7Km. But it's ok, they have motivational comments all the way to the top :rolleyes:

Don't have a course profile but it's generally flat/undulating for the first 6Km, then the hill, and the last 3Km are quite fast to the finish.

Route reminds me a little of Dunshaughlin without the long drag around 8Km.

Firedance wrote: »
    Isn't there one on the Garmin profile page? Course is not unlike Dunshaughlin I think.

Jinx ;)

Murph_D wrote: »

Edit: mapmyrun profile on race website.

Looks fine!! (She said, speaking too soon!)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Looks fine!! (She said, speaking too soon!)

It's a fast course overall, and I've always done a negative split any time I've raced it despite the hill. But if you're chasing a time best to have a some seconds banked before you hit the hill as it would be difficult to maintain pace on it.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    It's a fast course overall, and I've always done a negative split any time I've raced it despite the hill. But if you're chasing a time best to have a some seconds banked before you hit the hill as it would be difficult to maintain pace on it.

I suppose they all have hills, there's a real drag towards the end of the Swords 10k too. I'll look forward to the downhill after that!

I suppose they all have hills, there's a real drag towards the end of the Swords 10k too. I'll look forward to the downhill after that!

Yeah, I'd prefer a hill at 6K rather than 9K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd prefer a hill at 6K rather than 9K!

That's the big difference alright. Having done this last year I'd say any time lost on the hill will be made up on the favourable downhill to the finish. Whereas the hill in Fingal is after the 9k mark and just zaps the legs.

Best of luck to anyone doing it this year - unfortunately I couldn't squeeze it into my plans.

• Advertisement

Tip for the hill is work up it and enjoy the long descent! All busy here in Blessington getting ready. See you all Saturday.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Tip for the hill is work up it and enjoy the long descent! All busy here in Blessington getting ready. See you all Saturday.

Really looking forward to it. Just checking, can we collect our number on the day? It says on the site they will be posted out, but I haven't received anything by post.

Really looking forward to it. Just checking, can we collect our number on the day? It says on the site they will be posted out, but I haven't received anything by post.

Collect on the day up to 10.30 Helen, you should have received an email with all that info?

Firedance wrote: »
    Collect on the day up to 10.30 Helen, you should have received an email with all that info?

I definitely got one from Precision Timing, I don't THINK it mentioned pick-up, but maybe it did. Thanks v much, that's great.

PRE RACE AND RACE DAY REGISTRATION

For those of you who can, we recommend you avail of collecting your race number and timing chip prior to race day. These can be collected as follows;

Wicklow: Friday the 5th Sept, 5pm to 8pm, from St Mary’s School Blessington (across from the Topaz garage and behind the church).

Otherwise there will be a registration desk at the Lakeshore Amenity area on the morning of the race where you should aim to collect your number no later than 10:30am.

TIMING CHIP

The timing chip will be given to you at registration. The chip forms part of the race number and is disposable. This should be worn on the chest area. Timing is provided by Precision timing.

SPONSORSHIP CARD

Enclosed is a sponsorship card for Irish Guidedogs for the Blind. While not obligatory we would sincerely ask all entrants to try to obtain some sponsorship for the race. Any small amount is appreciated!! Please bring the card and any money you manage to raise with you on the day, or lodge directly to their Bank account (details on back of sponsorship card).

EVENT STAGING AREA

The main area for the event is at the Boathouse and Lakeshore Amenity area which is situated just over Blessington Bridge and on the left (this is also the main parking for the event). There are toilet and changing facilities here. There will also be a bag storage facility but you should ensure the contents are protected for the weather as this may be exposed to the elements. The ‘Brew Crew’ will be on site on the day with food & beverages for purchase.

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 5th, 2015
    Hosted by: Lakeshore Striders

PARKING AND DIRECTIONS

There are parking facilities as indicated on the attached map marked ‘P’. The main one is at the Lakeshore Amenity area but as this fills you may be directed to use the overflow car park. (You should be at the lakeside area no later then 10:45am). We are asking all vehicles coming from the Dublin direction to turn left before reaching Blessington Village onto Red Lane. From here there will be marshals in place to assist you with direction. This route is indicated by arrows on the attached map. Traffic coming from southern side of Blessington should take a right at the AIB bank and again there will be marshals to assist with directions. We would ask people to carpool where they can.

RACE START LINE

The actual start line is on Blessington Bridge. Under no circumstances are any competitors allowed to loiter on the Bridge before the race (you might be thrown off it!). All entrants should utilize the Lakeshore Amenity area for their warm ups and stretching before the race and must wait here until told to make their way to the start line by a Race Director.
    For the actual start of the race we ask competitors to have consideration for fellow runners and position themselves in the appropriate finishing time zone; Sub 35mins, Sub 40 mins etc. This makes for a safer and more enjoyable start for all.

RACE ROUTE AND SAFETY

The roads are officially closed to traffic and there will be marshals at the junctions. There should be no traffic along the route but circumstance may arise where a vehicle appears and runners should bear this in mind. A first aid vehicle will follow behind the last runners should anybody need assistance. There will also be a sweep vehicle if anyone feels unable to finish the race they can avail of this. There is one water station close to the half way point. Distances are marked in KM.

START TIME

The race will start at 11:00am sharp. Roads will close from 10:45am to 12:30pm. Please note that the vehicular access route we recommend you take is also part of the race route that closes to traffic at 10:45am. Late arrivals to the event will not be able to get vehicular access along this route once it closes at 10:45am. It is important to get to the parking and start area before the roads close.

RACE FINISH

Once runners finish the race you will be filtered back to the Lakeshore Amenity area about 500m from the finish. Along this 500m area there will be marshals giving out water, and goodie bags, please continue moving on towards the Marquee at the Lakeshore Amenity area.

The presentation of prizes will take place here after the race. The two changing rooms in the Boathouse each have two showers and will be available for use on the day. We would ask that these limited facilities be used by people who are travelling greater distances.

THANK YOU

Thank you to our main sponsors: Brophy Brothers Building Services, Kenny’s SuperValu, & Amphibian King plus our ‘KM’ sponsors.
    Finally thank you to YOU for taking part in our race. We hope you enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck and strong legs to everyone running this tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Great race. Band leading you to the start was a nice touch. Really enjoyed the race until 6km when the hill from hell killed me. Still finished strong and the goodie bag and muffin went down well. Looking forward to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Yet another brilliantly organised race from the Lakeshore Striders!

Everything always runs smoothly with this race. Plenty of parking, no queues for number collection or bag drop.
    The wave start is really well done and there are never any congestion problems.
    The live music and lovely muffins at the finish are a nice extra treat!

This is one of my highlight races of the year. Unfortunately I had one to many drinks at a hen party last night so missed out on a PB but enjoyed it nonetheless & will be back again next year for another go at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Personalised cheerleaders too Fiona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

aquinn wrote: »
    Personalised cheerleaders too Fiona?

Ah that was you!! Thanks for the support!
    I was really suffering at that stage so it gave me a much needed boost!

Advertisement