Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap backup boiler

• 28-08-2015 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm installing a log boiler, which will heat a 1500L buffer tank, which in turn will provide heating and hot water to a domestic residence. The boiler will provide heat on a day to day basis, and as long as it works OK and I or someone capable can light the boiler, there shouldn't be any problem.

I'm wondering now should I provide a backup in case (1) the boiler is our of order, or more importantly (2) I have guests staying who wouldn't know how to light the boiler or may not be comfortable doing so. Is there a small gas boiler I could use, even one fueled from a gas bottle (I've seen domestic boilers in Spain fueled with a regular small gas bottle). Or is there an alternative fuel I could consider? I'd like a small unit I could install indoors, so oil wouldn't really work. The log boiler has an output of 30kW, but the backup could be significantly less for the occasional times it would be needed, around 10kW should be sufficient.

Any ideas welcome.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Very simplistically, some fan heaters for space heating and an electric immersion for hot water? Doesn't take up any space and doesn't require any fuel to be held. Very safe and convenient. Cheap to set up, not cheap to run, but fine for an emergency or special circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Most gas boilers don't like to be left sitting. Look at all the problems after a hot summer and weather turns cold.

Advertisement