Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Drop - is it worth it?

• 28-08-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm unemployed again and am considering doing a CV drop - is it worth it? Now obviously it is because I did it before and got some phone calls for subbing from it. I also sent my CV via email just after Christmas but didn't get any phone calls as a result. Is there any point in hand delivering my CV because the local schools will have from before or do you think they would throw them out? Also I applied for a few vacancies in local schools that had my subject but minor hours because it was a two subject combination and the majority of the hours were not in my subject - should I approach these schools again? I am thinking that Monday would be a good day as all the students are not back and the DP/P's may have a few minutes to speak to me. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hi, I'm unemployed again and am considering doing a CV drop - is it worth it? Now obviously it is because I did it before and got some phone calls for subbing from it. I also sent my CV via email just after Christmas but didn't get any phone calls as a result. Is there any point in hand delivering my CV because the local schools will have from before or do you think they would throw them out? Also I applied for a few vacancies in local schools that had my subject but minor hours because it was a two subject combination and the majority of the hours were not in my subject - should I approach these schools again? I am thinking that Monday would be a good day as all the students are not back and the DP/P's may have a few minutes to speak to me. Many thanks in advance.

I'd definitely call around, but some of those rúnaí are almost impossible to plámás your way past to get to the principal/deputy principal. Also, I would approach those schools again to remind them of your existence. I got subbing in several schools because of dropping the cv in, and this included from principals who never got my cv but who rang a local principal and he had my details.

I also put my name on one of the VEC panels and was surprised to receive a call, surprised because I had forgotten totally about applying for that panel. I think that VEC panel application was just online, but perhaps I posted something off. There definitely was no interview; it was just to get on a list of subs who were available at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Good luck, but be prepared to not meet all DPs, all of our students are back on Monday for a full days teaching so the DP may not have a quiet day in all schools !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

solerina wrote: »
    Good luck, but be prepared to not meet all DPs, all of our students are back on Monday for a full days teaching so the DP may not have a quiet day in all schools !!

I agree with this. If you want some chance of actually seeing the P or DP, I'd wait a week or so until things settle down a bit.

Advertisement