Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are pressure kegs worth the investment

Options
  • 28-08-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has a full pressure keg system such as the one here http://www.homebrewwest.ie/pressure-keg-set-complete-with-new-soda-keg-2986-p.asp
    If so, are they worth the investment. I've been making my own brews (from kits) and use a King Keg which I'm pretty happy with. Jusy wondering if the step up to the soda keg setup has many advantages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They are worth the investment if you hate bottling like every single homebrewer. However don't buy new. You can usually get second hand kegs for 30 quid these days

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/a-used-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-p-2870.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

RasTa wrote: »
    They are worth the investment if you hate bottling like every single homebrewer. However don't buy new. You can usually get second hand kegs for 30 quid these days

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/a-used-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-p-2870.html

Ah yeah, I gave up on the bottling long ago. I use a mid feed tap on a plastic king keg presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

The thoughts of bottling again would put me off brewing*

*not really but nearly

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

How do you keep these cool for serving? Do you have put the whole thing in the fridge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

How do you keep these cool for serving? Do you have put the whole thing in the fridge ?

If you want your beer chilled, yes.

Take a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96372996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

Hmmm... while it looks cool, isn't this a fairly sizable investment (both in cash and space in your house) to have a fridge dedicated just to cooling your keg. Are people that against bottling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alpha_a

I seem to be in the minority here put I hate kegging. I have a couple of cornies but never got used to them. Made a kegerater and all. I much prefer bottling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

alpha_a wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority here put I hate kegging. I have a couple of cornies but never got used to them. Made a kegerater and all. I much prefer bottling!

Wow :).

I hate bottling because:

• washing and sterilising all those bottles
    • my back. The fermenter is at about waste height, so the bottles are about a foot off the floor. So bend fill stop. Bend fill stop. 40+ times at the end of it I need a beer ;)
    • its messy. My bottling stick is not great and there's a couple of drips after each bottle.
    For me now its the kingkeg - I like my beer warm so it suits me.

Whats wrong with kegging and why do you like bottling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How long does a keg keep after tapping? I can have a stout in a fortnight from a bottle and keep some for a year or two.

I lift the bottling bucket up high so I'm bottling standing up.

Got a bottle rinser, takes about 5 seconds per bottle to sanitize.

Have swingtops, so capping not an issue.

How long does a keg keep after tapping? I can have a stout in a fortnight from a bottle and keep some for a year or two.

All depends on how thirsty I am:) Normally my keg is gone within a month or two, depending on if I have a few buddies over to sample, in which case it could be gone in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Have a corny setup with under counter fridge, would never go back to bottling again. Way faster, less messy, less work, conditions the beer faster and produce's little or no yeast in the glass. It doesn't take up any more space than the bottles did either. The only negative is its initial cost but with the price on corny's gone down now its never been cheaper.

macnug wrote: »
    Have a corny setup with under counter fridge, would never go back to bottling again. Way faster, less messy, less work, conditions the beer faster and produce's little or no yeast in the glass. It doesn't take up any more space than the bottles did either. The only negative is its initial cost but with the price on corny's gone down now its never been cheaper.

I've seen the kegs for good prices alright. It's just the other bits that put me off. Some hefty costs from what I can see

Advertisement