Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 28-08-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I didn't really know where to put this and I've been finding it difficult to find the specifics of how the whole fees system works so thought someone here might know. Basically didn't finish my first year of college last year(left in second semester) having received a maintenance grant and thus not having to pay the student contribution or any fees bar a €100 registration fee. I am wondering if I was to start a different course next year, would I still be eligible for the grant and what fees would I have to pay? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ididthemathtom

Spacer7894 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I didn't really know where to put this and I've been finding it difficult to find the specifics of how the whole fees system works so thought someone here might know. Basically didn't finish my first year of college last year(left in second semester) having received a maintenance grant and thus not having to pay the student contribution or any fees bar a €100 registration fee. I am wondering if I was to start a different course next year, would I still be eligible for the grant and what fees would I have to pay? Thanks.

If you used free fees for your first year of one course, you are ineligible to use them for your first year of another of the same fetac level. You would definitely not receive a maintenance grant if going into first year of another course, and I'm fairly confident would not have your student contribution (that 3k fee) paid for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you used free fees for your first year of one course, you are ineligible to use them for your first year of another of the same fetac level. You would definitely not receive a maintenance grant if going into first year of another course, and I'm fairly confident would not have your student contribution (that 3k fee) paid for you.

That all sounds right to me. Are you going up a level on the fetac ladder op? From a level 7 to a level 8 for example. Think you qualify then. But if you left a level 7 (or 8) and are going back to do another level 7 (or 8) you won't qualify for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spacer7894

I was doing a level 8 course. What if I were to drop down to a level 7?

How much would the combined fees come to if starting another level 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

That all sounds right to me. Are you going up a level on the fetac ladder op? From a level 7 to a level 8 for example. Think you qualify then. But if you left a level 7 (or 8) and are going back to do another level 7 (or 8) you won't qualify for the grant.

If he did say 1 year of level 6 and went on to do a different level 8, he would still be liable for fees for that 1 year that he did the level 6. Then 2nd, 3rd, 4th year would be covered.

I was doing a level 8 course. What if I were to drop down to a level 7?

How much would the combined fees come to if starting another level 8?

The fee amount would depend on the course you are doing. If you are going back to the same course and have some modules passed then you wouldn't have to pay for those modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Spacer7894

What would be the average with both the student contribution and the tuition? It seems it would be pretty high. As an example how much would arts in UCD or Galway cost? Am I correct in saying I wouldn't have to pay any fees in 2nd/3rd year and would be eligible for the grant then?

What would be the average with both the student contribution and the tuition? It seems it would be pretty high. As an example how much would arts in UCD or Galway cost? Am I correct in saying I wouldn't have to pay any fees in 2nd/3rd year and would be eligible for the grant then?

About 5873.00euro

You should have free fees in 2nd and 3rd year. And yes you could apply for the grant then

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

The best thing to do would be to contact whatever college you want to attend and explain your situation to them. They will be able to give you a specific answer. You have too many variables in your examples for anyone to give you the exact figures, the course level you were doing v one you want, modules covered, when you gave up, did you withdraw officially or just drop out will all have an impact on fees due.

Advertisement