Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due to fly to orlando tomorrow worried about hurricane erika

Options
  • 29-08-2015 3:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

Im in the middle of my trip to the states , im due to travel to Orlando tomorrow but I'm concerned about reports that it's about hit Florida on Monday or Tuesday , now reports are indicating that it will probably weaken but should I take that chance ? I've no where to evacuate to , my flight from Orlando leaves for Dublin next wed but I'm half considering booking a flight from NYC back home , what ye reckon?

Comments

Im in the middle of my trip to the states , im due to travel to Orlando tomorrow but I'm concerned about reports that it's about hit Florida on Monday or Tuesday , now reports are indicating that it will probably weaken but should I take that chance ? I've no where to evacuate to , my flight from Orlando leaves for Dublin next wed but I'm half considering booking a flight from NYC back home , what ye reckon?

You'll be fine. You are presumably irish and white!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I'd go for it, just head for the hotel basement when it hits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You'll be fine. It's not expected to be a hurricane when it hits Florida, but a tropical depression which is even lower down the scale than a tropical storm. I've ridden out a storm in Miami. Depending on the hotel, you may be asked to go either to the lower levels or the lobby to ride it out. If it's a depression you may just be asked to stay within the hotel but can stay in your room

We went to the lobby and overnighted there - the staff were exceptional and at no time were we in danger. They know how to deal with these. In reality there was a "siege mentality" and we rode it out playing board games and drinking (tea in our case, but many were supping on manhattans and other cocktails)

Try not to worry about it, and in a few hours it'll be over. A tropical depression is windy and wet but nothing that a december day in Galway won't prepare you for. The state is already on "emergency" status meaning the resources are available to help when needed. As a tourist...you'll be taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'll be fine, especially if you are inland. Coastal areas get most of the pummeling from tropical storms, Orlando will be fine. There will be a lot of very heavy rain, probably some thunder and lightening which can be quite scary if you aren't used to it, or very exciting if you like storms, but that will be about it if its tropical depression. Your hotel may lose power for a couple of hours during the worst of it, but I'd be surprised if Orlando suffered anything worse than that. They're so used to this in Florida, they get all the services restored very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Crisis averted! The storm has dissipated. May get a bit of rain on the coasts but that's it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement