Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 v newer IPhones.

• 29-08-2015 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Currently have IPhone 4,am happy with it,would only go on things like boards,check weather etc on Safari.Use Whatsapp,not on Facebook.

Am I right in thinking IPhone 4 is 'tougher' than the newer ones.Have Otterbox cover on it,use it while outdoors a lot and farming....so it would get the odd bang off walls etc.
    Am due an upgrade,so should I stick with the IPhone 4 or is there anything special about the newer ones?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

For me the big improvement was that the bigger screen was nicer for reading and typing on. Also the battery in the six (regular and especially plus) is a massive, massive upgrade on the four, especially one that's older. Software-wise, the 4 is going to stop getting patches and updates very soon if it hasn't already, so for security and the like, newer is better.

In terms of durability, if you are happy to use a heavy-duty protector like the Otterbox, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the newer builds in terms of toughness-- most people who have had issues have left them unprotected.

Unless the notion of a larger phone in general puts you off, I would strongly consider upgrading. I'd hold off for a month or two, though, considering that the newest version (6s, probably) is due to be released next month. Even if you don't opt for it, it should bring down the prices for the "older" models as they're no longer the new hot thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

5s is the best currently. Basically just like a massively souped up 4s with a bigger screen and the fingerprint unlock. Whether its worth it depends. The 4 can be a bit stuttery with certain websites, the 5s has massive cpu power. The 6 feels a bit flimsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Boskowski wrote: »
    5s is the best currently. Basically just like a massively souped up 4s with a bigger screen and the fingerprint unlock. Whether its worth it depends. The 4 can be a bit stuttery with certain websites, the 5s has massive cpu power. The 6 feels a bit flimsy.

I don't agree, I have the 4 and currently use the 5s and 6 and much prefer the 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The 6 is lovely and will be absolutely fine with an otter. If you have money to spare I'd recommend the life proof case - much slimmer and just as protective.

I've had both the 5s and 6. Found the 6 to be a little too big when I got it but I couldn't go back now. Also using it with an Otter Box.

The only issue I noticed is that the glass on my 6 had some very light scratches after just a few months whereas my 5s was perfect for the year I had it. I don't know if that's just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thanks to you all for feedback so far,one of the things possibly stopping me upgrading is that I would have to commit to a new 18 month contract with Vodafone for circa 40 euro a month to get phone upgrade.Through my OH's work I may be able to get onto a plan with very similiar conditions,usage mins,data limit etc for approx 25 euro a month if I use my IPhone 4.

To DivingDuck- who said IPhone 4 may become outdated for uploading some things,what typically would be affected?...Havnt a clue what 'patches' are?:)!

Thanks to you all for feedback so far,one of the things possibly stopping me upgrading is that I would have to commit to a new 18 month contract with Vodafone for circa 40 euro a month to get phone upgrade.Through my OH's work I may be able to get onto a plan with very similiar conditions,usage mins,data limit etc for approx 25 euro a month if I use my IPhone 4.

To DivingDuck- who said IPhone 4 may become outdated for uploading some things,what typically would be affected?...Havnt a clue what 'patches' are?:)!
    The last version of iOS supported on the iPhone 4 is 7.1 I believe. So any apps that need iOS 8 or later won't run on the 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I still have the 4 and not being able to run newer apps is a bit annoying.
    It's also super slow now when I browse.
    Safari crashes the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I hadn't had a Safari crash ever on my 4s but there is the thing that newer iOS versions aren't supporting the 4s and even the last few updates that were supporting the 4s slowed down the thing massively I found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,746 ✭✭✭✭kippy

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I still have the 4 and not being able to run newer apps is a bit annoying.
    It's also super slow now when I browse.
    Safari crashes the whole time.

Have you tried a full system reset? I've found that sorts out some of the performance issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement