Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Places to Live

• 29-08-2015 7:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Hi, folks,

I'm going to be relocating from the US to Limerick in a couple of months and was looking for ideas on decent areas/neighborhoods to live. I'll be working in the Raheen business park, and I'd prefer something no more than than 20km or 25-30 minutes (at rush hour) from there.

I'm looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom place and my budget would be up to €1000, though something around €800 or so would be better. Parking is a must (though that seems to be pretty common outside the city center). I'd prefer a safe and quiet area away from a lot of night life or rowdy students. I'm not opposed to a "boring" suburb area, but having shopping (grocery, etc.), a couple restaurants, and a nice quiet pub or two within a couple km would be nice. Living on my own, so I don't really care about schools.

I'm strongly considering just getting a place in the Dooradoyle/Raheen area; obviously very close to work, reasonable rents, and what look like decent enough local amenities. Any specific streets/estates that tend to be noisier or sketchier than others in that area?

Any other suburbs/neighborhoods or outlying villages nearby that are pretty safe and quiet and offer some decent local shopping/dining/pubs? Any places in particular I should avoid due to noise or crime? I've heard the Moyross area, Kings Island, and some of the estates east of Hyde Road are a bit questionable, and I'm guessing the Castletroy area is swarming with university kids.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like you have it summed up pretty well. There really isn't anywhere that i know of in raheen that is sketchy. But if you're looking for a place close by, you could try Adare, it has restaurants and bars etc. Only 15 min from Raheen if even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looks like you have it summed up pretty well. There really isn't anywhere that i know of in raheen that is sketchy. But if you're looking for a place close by, you could try Adare, it has restaurants and bars etc. Only 15 min from Raheen if even that.

Traffic out there is a nightmare though. I'd look at raheen doradoyle myself. I'm living in annacotty. It's lovely. However the rents are a bit higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If you have a budget up to €1,000 you should be able to get somewhere really nice in the Raheen/Dooradoyle area. Big shopping centre out that way as well as the hospital so everything will be close by. Look for somewhere maybe in one of the estates off Fr.Russell road or even you could try find somewhere in Mungret. All very close to the industrial estate. Ballycummin is another great option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

North Circular Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd look at somewhere that is easily accessible to the M7/M20 motorway which runs next to the Raheen Business Park. This will make commuting alot easier and avoid being stuck in rush hour or school run traffic trying to get from one side of the city to the other. Castletroy/Annacotty, Raheen are places that come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd go with North Circular Road (or Ennis Road) as well. It's the nicest part of the city and not a bland suburb, and within striking distance of the city centre, only about 15 - 20 mins max from Raheen and it's also got good access to the M7. I'd say you'd get a 2 bedroom apartment there for the 800 - 1000 euro range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

3 areas to chose from.

1. South circular road
    2. Raheen
    3. Dooradoyle

All extremely close to the business park.

Limerick isn't really that big but if you want to bike to work I'd chose one of the areas above.

Trouble is good rentals are hard to find. Keep searching daft.ie

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. :) I'll probably start seriously looking on Daft a few weeks before I move and at least try to get some viewings scheduled if I can. I don't want to rent a place sight unseen (nor would any sane landlord want to offer a long term lease to some random foreigner over the Internet, I'm sure), but getting in touch with some folks might at least get things rolling a bit sooner when I arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are you ruling out the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

osarusan wrote: »
    Are you ruling out the city centre?

I'm not one for going out and partying, so I'll be spending a lot more days commuting to work than I will going to stuff in the center of town. I think something in a quieter suburb that's within walking distance or a short drive into town would suit me better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

dennyk wrote: »
    I'm not one for going out and partying, so I'll be spending a lot more days commuting to work than I will going to stuff in the center of town. I think something in a quieter suburb that's within walking distance or a short drive into town would suit me better.
    That's fair enough.

You can live quietly in the city centre, with parking, within your budget.

This place would seem to suit, but obviously, if you'd prefer the suburbs, that's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

osarusan wrote: »
    That's fair enough.

You can live quietly in the city centre, with parking, within your budget.

This place would seem to suit, but obviously, if you'd prefer the suburbs, that's grand.

All I see is a reasonably new apartment with a C3 energy rating. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

zulutango wrote: »
    All I see is a reasonably new apartment with a C3 energy rating. :eek:

And you've to deal with M&C property and the simians they employ

Advertisement