Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to run in Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

I've just started couch to 5k and I'm determined to finish it so I'm already planning where to run when the nights get darker. Currently I'm running/walking on a country road so that won't be an option in the dark.

Can anyone recommend somewhere with good lighting and that would be safe enough to run by myself? The only place I can think of is the Lough which I assume would be safe enough because there always seems to be people there at night

And the title was supposed to be somewhere to run!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

The Rochestown to Passage Walk is fully lit and off road but, I'm not sure if it's comfortable / safe entirely on your own?

It's usually fairly busy in the evenings though.

The Marina is great during daylight but it's totally unlit which is a bit freaky when it turns dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Anywhere in the southside of the city or suburbs would suit really.

Thanks for the suggestions ... Model farm road/bishopstown is a good call. I used to work near there but never thought of it as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nice 5km loop from Dennehy's cross to Melbourne Rd, around by bishopstown Rd to Wilton Rd back to Dennehy's cross.
    Well lit, residential, safe with lots of joggers/walkers
    And you'll be passing the hospital in case you're having a heart attack or are after being stabbed

bee06 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions ... Model farm road/bishopstown is a good call. I used to work near there but never thought of it as an option.

It is well lit, easy to cross the roads and safe. Two slight hills. Don't forget your Hi Viz gear

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

I used to run a lot around model farm road and bishopstown, it's really great.. Good amount of slopes etc too, and peaceful area. Very good for late evening runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

A lot of people run up around the airport roads, at all hours of the night.
    Only problem would be youd have to pay for parking as youd get clamped or towed. Other option is to park outside the airport. When you come out of the airport going down towards the bulls theres a road to the left 200yards down the hill. You can park here on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What about from Victoria Cross out the Western Road? Plenty of lights out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Scudo.2

Not the right area, or suitable for the dark, but a great new facility (I don't run, but better half does)
    Blarney (golf) driving range has a purpose built country running track now 5miles I think.
    Just before Blarney village on the Cork side.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Loads of places I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks to the mod who fixed my title too!

Now I just have to keep up the motivation I have now when the nights get dark and cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Loads of places I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks to the mod who fixed my title too!

Now I just have to keep up the motivation I have now when the nights get dark and cold!

Park run are starting in the new park at tramore road at the end if this month, Saturday mornings at 9.30, 5k timed run, free to take part, just register on line. Could be a good place to meet fellow runners and a nice way to keep motivated!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to sign up for this! I'm weirdly looking forward to being able to run for that long. The running bug has got me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The Straight Rd is my goto spot for running after work in Winter time as it's lit 'til the turn off to the Angler's Rest pub. I'd often detour along Inchigaggin Lane to Model Farm Rd on the way back just for a bit of variety. A head-torch is handy there as it's a bit on the dull side.

Definitely head along to the parkrun kicking off on Sept 26th, should be a great crowd for the inaugural event!

opus wrote: »
    The Straight Rd is my goto spot for running after work in Winter time as it's lit 'til the turn off to the Angler's Rest pub.

Center park road, marina, Blackrock road, 4 mile loop, all lit is a good winter run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lough and Straight Road are my go to spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Use Ballincollig regional park during the summer and its great. Easy to do 5k without just doing many laps of the same thing. Straight road is good in the winter but really prefer running on grass or trails though. Am hoping that the new loop around the old dump will be trail and not tar.

Use Ballincollig regional park during the summer and its great. Easy to do 5k without just doing many laps of the same thing. Straight road is good in the winter but really prefer running on grass or trails though. Am hoping that the new loop around the old dump will be trail and not tar.

Has anyone used the running trail in Blarney? Been meaning to try it out.

The parkrun website says that the Tramore Park track is a combination of gravel and tar tracks.

I know a few girls who have gone running in ballincollig regional park and they've told me they wouldn't run there alone, that parts are quite isolated and a bit creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I know a few girls who have gone running in ballincollig regional park and they've told me they wouldn't run there alone, that parts are quite isolated and a bit creepy.

I think I scared the **** out of someone during an interval sprint there a few weeks back. :o

There's loads of running routes around the city but few are off road and even fewer are lit. A lot of people go running in the dark around UCC's sports grounds next to Curraheen greyhound stadium. There tends to be enough light to just about see what you're doing and there's no chance of getting hit by a car. A fair few run along the Blackrock railway line and around by Blackrock Castle in the dark too. It does get a bit dark and lonely in places though.

Have you thought about joining a running club? The Wibbly Wobbly Wonders seem to have members at all levels.

Advertisement