Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gym

Options
  • 29-08-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

At little thing to note for incoming students in order to use the UCD Gym you have to do an induction. In previous years this was in person however this year it is now a 15 minutes online video that you must watch.
    After you watch this you're put into a waiting list in order to get access to the Gym.
    The sooner the better as come Tuesday Morning this waiting least is going to balloon in length.

The link you need is this: http://www.ucd.ie/sportandfitness/membership/ucdstudentmembership/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Video doesn't seem to mention any restrictions on access times to the gym for students. Have these been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Cheers Andru!

Handy to get it out of the way nice and early.

Video doesn't seem to mention any restrictions on access times to the gym for students. Have these been removed?

Does it matter?

You go to the gym. They can't stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chigenrgn

If u watch the vids and join the gym dont pay the 99e. First do the free membership then u will get the swim and gym for 89e instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

a fat guy wrote: »
    Does it matter?

Is it not the case that your card won't allow access at certain times, thereby blocking you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

From what I was told today there still in place and during those times you can only use the performance gym in the sports centre.
    The lockout times for students are 17:15 - 20:45.

You can still use the pool during these times o=you'll just have to go up to the desk to let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Does it matter?

Is it not the case that your card won't allow access at certain times, thereby blocking you?

You get access to the gym by your U-Card. No U-Card no entry.
    During the lockout times which is 17:15 - 20:45 you'll only have the option of the performance gym in the sports centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Derby Deasy

Andru93 wrote: »
    I've gotten in loads of times without my U Card

-"Hey I lost my U card my name is ______ ______"
    -/tongueroll "Rrrrright this way :-) "

Anyway, if you want to use the Gym during the Lockout, just go in five minutes early. Nobody cares.

The gym is ideally quiet during these times, btw.

Andru93 wrote: »
    During the lockout times which is 17:15 - 20:45 you'll only have the option of the performance gym in the sports centre.

Gentlemen, it was a joke about them not being able to stop you because you're too strong to stop (Because you go to the gym).

Not that it matters, because they still won't be able to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I keep going to watch the video but it says today's quota has been reached?!

Anyone know why this is, its only half 12? And why is there a quota anyway?

• Advertisement

OttoPilot wrote: »
    I keep going to watch the video but it says today's quota has been reached?!

Anyone know why this is, its only half 12? And why is there a quota anyway?

Just stay up until after midnight and you'll be able to log in. Worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

I've tried to do this at all times of the day and it keeps saying they've reached they're quota for the day, is anyone else having this problem? I've tried it at 1 in the morning and everything and it's still giving me that message :(

I went in Thursday and they told me the video only opens at 8 am now, really inconvenient for me because I start at half 8 every day and by the time my classes finish it's 10 am and the video is closed again.

Now I'm going to have to commute in extra early next week and watch this video before class. Extremely frustrating, what is the point in a daily quota?!

I went in Thursday and they told me the video only opens at 8 am now, really inconvenient for me because I start at half 8 every day and by the time my classes finish it's 10 am and the video is closed again.

Now I'm going to have to commute in extra early next week and watch this video before class. Extremely frustrating, what is the point in a daily quota?!

I might be misunderstanding you, but why can't you just wake up 15 minutes earlier and watch the video then? The video itself only takes 10 or so minutes, and after that it's just a checkbox quiz.

The daily quota is probably so that they don't have to register more than a few hundred/thousand student accounts as having gym access every day. I'm pretty sure that the video is actually on Youtube, so doubt it'd have anything to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 R_mfly

I watched the induction video a couple of days ago and my sisweb says I've an active membership but I got an email from the gym saying I need to fill out an application form too.. I can't find the application form on my sisweb

Anybody know where the membership application form would be or how to find it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

R_mfly wrote: »
    I watched the induction video a couple of days ago and my sisweb says I've an active membership but I got an email from the gym saying I need to fill out an application form too.. I can't find the application form on my sisweb

Anybody know where the membership application form would be or how to find it ?

Same happened here, and haven't been able to find an answer yet!

I got that email too, but I'm just going to ignore it since I was able to get into the gym on Monday.

UCD has sent me plenty of emails in the past that either weren't relevant or misleading/wrong to me, so I'm going to assume that this was another one of those kind of emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 R_mfly

I emailed the gym just asking about it but haven't heard anything back..
    I used my ucard to get in today though and it worked grand so I'm just going to ignore it too

I got that email too, but I'm just going to ignore it since I was able to get into the gym on Monday.

UCD has sent me plenty of emails in the past that either weren't relevant or misleading/wrong to me, so I'm going to assume that this was another one of those kind of emails.

Administration seems to be generally poor, I've had problems with registration, receiving a student number, uploading a photo for my student card. I even received an automatic email addressed to a "John" (not my name).

Very unimpressed with the standard compared to my previous university (I'm postgraduate now) and I would definitely warn people off before paying their extortionate fees. I'm not the only one on my course Who has experienced these issues.

Administration seems to be generally poor, I've had problems with registration, receiving a student number, uploading a photo for my student card. I even received an automatic email addressed to a "John" (not my name).

Very unimpressed with the standard compared to my previous university (I'm postgraduate now) and I would definitely warn people off before paying their extortionate fees. I'm not the only one on my course Who has experienced these issues.

Yeah, I got an automatic email that was meant for someone else too. The problem being that it was an automatic email, so the recipient likely never got it and I had no way of informing anyone.

However, like I said in this thread, I think this is more of a postgrad course problem rather than a college problem.

I've seen the same thing at WIT, but I figured that was just WIT being of bad quality. It seems like postgrad courses just aren't of the same quality as undergrad courses in this country. I dread to think what PHD students have to endure!

Edit: And for what it's worth, I've found that the lecturers are very good at responding to emails. In particular, Rem Collier was great when I was hounding him for details on the course I'm now doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement