Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

• 29-08-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying my first mech keyboard and I was looking at the corsair k95. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NHJPNH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE. Anybody have experience with this?

I'm big into gaming and I figure if I spend a bit now, it should last me well into the future. I've never even used a mech kb to my knowledge so I'm thinking the brown switches, because apparently they are good balance between typing and gaming (my wife also uses my pc for typing crap etc).

Any recommendations, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have the earlier K70 and it's very good for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

I have the K95 which is a class keyboard, but if you decide to go for it, go for the RGB version as the older white led version has problems with the leds breaking due to static electricity (keys are fine it's just blown leds)... K70 is the same keyboard minus the programmable keys on the left of the qwerty keys so depending on the games you play save yourself a few quid & go for the K70 if the extra keys aren't a deal breaker (I've never used them myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've got a logitech G710+ and having gone mechanical, I can't see myself ever going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have the Black Widow Ultimate; the Black Widow Chroma is everything the BW is, only sexier. Tap a key and it ripples color everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Overheal wrote: »
    Tap a key and it ripples color everywhere.
    Not destracting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Use Ducky Shine 2, got it a few years ago and the thing hasn't aged a day! i love how small and compact it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

What are the advantages? I presume it's accuracy and responsiveness? It's only after reading this thread I realised while I have spent a pretty penny on nearly every aspect of my pc purely for gaming I am probably using a really crappy keyboard. I had normally avoided "gaming" keyboards as they always appeared so big and clunky and I preferred smaller compact keyboards but if mechanical gives a definitive improvement for gaming its time to hurt the credit card again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Maguined wrote: »
    What are the advantages? I presume it's accuracy and responsiveness? It's only after reading this thread I realised while I have spent a pretty penny on nearly every aspect of my pc purely for gaming I am probably using a really crappy keyboard. I had normally avoided "gaming" keyboards as they always appeared so big and clunky and I preferred smaller compact keyboards but if mechanical gives a definitive improvement for gaming its time to hurt the credit card again.

Mechanical keyboards are very tactile & responsive.

As for not wanting a 'chunky' one, there are smaller ones available (i.e. don't have 27" LCD screens built into them ... ). I'm not a fan of huge keyboards either which is why I went for the one I went for. It wasn't cheap by any stretch of keyboards, but as I said, I don't think I can ever see myself going back to non-mechanical keyboards having used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Lemming wrote: »
    Mechanical keyboards are very tactile & responsive.

As for not wanting a 'chunky' one, there are smaller ones available (i.e. don't have 27" LCD screens built into them ... ). I'm not a fan of huge keyboards either which is why I went for the one I went for. It wasn't cheap by any stretch of keyboards, but as I said, I don't think I can ever see myself going back to non-mechanical keyboards having used one.

You have me sold. After buying a 144hz gsync monitor and upgrading my graphics card even an expensive keyboard will still seem like a relative relief to the bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mine is a QPad Mk-80 Mechanical Keyboard. I'd honestly never go back to a membrane keyboard unless I had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Maguined wrote: »

If you're buying because you want the tactile feedback then work away. If you think you're getting any advantage in games by buying it over a membrane keyboard - you're wasting money. It's only in RPGs or RTS games where you need to press umpteen keys at once that there's any benefit.

Bit of a fad if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not destracting?

No, because when you push buttons YOU ARE GOD. Its also completely optional, the Chroma has dozens of modes in the driver and countless/indeterminately-lots of RGB configs.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

I have a Das Keyboard at work and a Steelseries at home

Think that the steelseries is quite good, they have their windows key disabled but you must put more strength on the keys when typing, if compared to Das Keyboard. Also, DK has a volume control and two USBs ports, might be helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Thanks to everyone for the help , I ended up pulling the trigger on the CG K95 rgb with brown cherry's. It cost me roughly €200 but the reviews are good. No pass through usb's but i'll get over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the help , I ended up pulling the trigger on the CG K95 rgb with brown cherry's. It cost me roughly €200 but the reviews are good. No pass through usb's but i'll get over that.

Why are you paying that much for a keyboard ?
    Are you looking to be a professional gamer ?

As mentioned by challengemaster, you won't really see an improvement in your gameplay unless you are at the very top tier of RTS games.

Games like Starcraft 2 benefit most from mechanical keyboards, where the top players often have up to 500 apm (actions per minute - clicks of a mouse or keyboard button)

If you are just a casual gamer, or like to play FPS or MOBAs...then you are really wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

The Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 700 v2.0
    Sorry can't post Images yet, first post :(
    With shortcut at the top that you actually WILL use! Here's the list of shortcuts:

Home Page in default browser
    Downloads Folder
    Play/Pause in YouTube,VLC,WMP etc
    Vol up. down (very responsive)
    Mute
    Kodi Media Center
    This PC/Computer/My Computer
    Calculator

The wireless receiver works a good way away, and it's just Plug'n'Play no drivers.
    Pairs in seconds.
    Batteries COME with keyboard 2 x AAA. They last 4 years :D
    Keys feel very good under fingers.
    Good shape.
    Keys NEVER stick :)
    Full size keyboard WITH Numpad! Would definitely recommend.
    P.S. I use This keyboard every day! P.P.S Typed using this keyboard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm using this one red mx, can turn windows button on and off, doesn't have led keys but there clear and easy to see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CITN98G/?tag=ho01f-21 price makes it hard to pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

SeantheMan wrote: »

As mentioned by challengemaster, you won't really see an improvement in your gameplay unless you are at the very top tier of RTS games.

Games like Starcraft 2 benefit most from mechanical keyboards, where the top players often have up to 500 apm (actions per minute - clicks of a mouse or keyboard button)

If you are just a casual gamer, or like to play FPS or MOBAs...then you are really wasting your money.

I'm 33 and married with kids. I got my first games console ( atari 7800) back in 89/90 and I've had c64's, amigas, megadrives, allsorts over the years so gaming is my thing.

I could have gotten two good nights out from the €200 I spent and pissed it down the jacks but I don't really go out pubbing/clubbing any more.

I couldn't give two ****s about pro gaming. I bought it because I wanted a decent keyboard that will last me years. I could have gotten a decent one at half the price but I said i'd treat myself, because I'm worth it :D

Anyway, it was worth every penny just to hear and feel these buttons. So far its the best keyboard I've ever used and the trippy lights make it even better.

I haven't had a chance to really test it out for gaming yet as I've been working this weekend, but I imagine it will be sweet.

Besides all that, why would you care how much I pay for a keyboard?

Jealous are we?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SeantheMan wrote: »

That's not true at all. The responsiveness and feedback of a mechanical keyboard can help improve play across a broad range of games, not to mention the better feel of a mechanical key above membrane.

It's hardly a fad either. They arnt new . they've been around decades. They are just coming into the domain more now since gaming companies have very wide and forceful marketing.

I've never met or known a person to go mechanical and then go back or diminish their benefits. Interested to know if you have one ?

I used to rubbish the Razer naga style mouse for wow players. Thinking it was a fad and just aggressive marketing. Then I got a lend of a Logitech variant for a week and I'm like "how have I not being using this ". And I'll be buying my own one.

I'm a pretty fast typer, but even moving to mechanical gave me a noticeable bump in speed.

The only downside is the price which is fine and they arnt for everyone's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

robinmgp wrote: »
    The Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 700 v2.0

Not a mechanical keyboard I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I bought it because I wanted a decent keyboard that will last me years. I could have gotten a decent one at half the price but I said i'd treat myself, because I'm worth it :D
    Anyway, it was worth every penny just to hear and feel these buttons. So far its the best keyboard I've ever used and the trippy lights make it even better

I got a K40 recently, and yeah the lights are nice :P. Still membrane though, as I just couldn't justify spending 150/200 quid on a keyboard. That being said, I really really like this keyboard, and liking it so much, I'd love to know how the Mechanical one felt....
    TheDoc wrote: »
    I used to rubbish the Razer naga style mouse for wow players. Thinking it was a fad and just aggressive marketing.

Took me quite some time to get used to the 12 side buttons, and their positioning. That was four-ish years ago.
    Now I use them for everything. I even have keybinds in windows for stuff. Unfortunately, the mouse is now double clicking the odd time. Seems I can take it apart and clean it, which I may do. I don't wantto have to muscle memory learn a whole new setup....

Advertisement